Valentine Gen 2

Saleen556

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Anyone switch to the Valentine from an R7? What do you think? I like the idea of it pairing with my phone. Will it alert through the car speakers if one has CarPlay? Thanks

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I use my V1Gen2 with my iPhone 7 Plus; V1 Driver App; Amazon Music App and Waze App through CarPlay and everything works perfectly. I have the iPhone mounted on my dash high enough and to my side enough so I can easily view the phone's screen without really taking my eyes off the road yet it isn't blocking my vision. I keep V1 Driver App on the phone screen just for info; Amazon Music plays in the background and I can easily toggle between Amazon Music and V1 Driver on the phone screen. Waze stays on the car's main info screen but again simple to toggle back and forth to Amazon Music if my wife needs to change the music on needs some info on the song. The V1Gen2 coupled with V1Driver is for me the best alternative; simply set it up and it takes care of everything I need.

SilenceDogoodNinja

driven by data
Beginner User
Reaction score
I find the experience with V1G2 to be more "involved" and not in a bad way! You get way more information on the screen when used with JVB1 (android) but it plays through the car stereo and gives me a more cockpit feel when driving versus the R7 that just alerts and then you pay attention. Driving around with the other setup is more robust experience

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone switch to the Valentine from an R7? What do you think? I like the idea of it pairing with my phone. Will it alert through the car speakers if one has CarPlay? Thanks
My R7 is getting used less and less. I find myself moving G2 into the vehicle that R7 in it. My preference. Not a hard and fixed rule for everyone. I like G2 naked (no app), and with V1Driver or JBV1 (I will use both).

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My R7 is getting used less and less. I find myself moving G2 into the vehicle that R7 in it. My preference. Not a hard and fixed rule for everyone. I like iG2 naked (no app), and with V1Driver or JBV1 (I will use both).

@Kennyc56 had Uniden platforms as primary system for long time. And was very strong believer. Kenny, you keep bragging on G2, knowing what you know, what would your preference be in OPs situation?
First of all, I haven't been bragging about the V1G2, only posting the things I've noticed since testing and owning one, although I do get carried away sometimes I must admit! I still love my Unidens and Redline-O's just as much as ever. The V1G2 is just in a different class than all of them. The R7 is also a great detector, but in my opinion with JBV1 the V1G2 is the better choice beating the R7 in every test that @VariableWave and I have done and much worse than all of the other tests I've seen between them by other testers. I haven't tried pairing it with any car audio, but I do run JBV1 and it's amazing! The V1G2 still needs a couple of issues fixed with the ghosting and it's I/O ramp but once that's done it will be damn hard to beat! The off axis range of the V1G2 is unlike any other detector I've ever used including the R7.

Last edited:

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
Having more then one set of test results is a huge factor for me. You and I have spoken about this and I trust what you and @VariableWave have done. Seeing all of the test results is one of the reasons I made the choice to go the route of the V1G2. As I've said all of the forum, I get that all manufactures have issues to work out since there is no perfect roll out per se.

WE are at a point where there a three solid top tier RD's to choose from. Two of which I am a fan off, and most recently MV. I have been treated perfectly my both. I had one from the other manufacturer and really did like that offering, when it was a viable solution.

My R3 is a beast, period. I am now beginning to see how the V1G2 is one as well. Your testing along with Vortex's testing are huge!! And I for one, truly appreciate the work you and @VariableWave put into it as well. Just like the Texas group. Don't want to exclude all of the hard work they put into it as well.
Post automatically merged:

First of all, I haven't been bragging about the V1G2, only posting the things I've noticed since testing and owning one, although I do get carried away sometimes I must admit! I still love my Unidens and Redline-O's just as much as ever. The V1G2 is just in a different class than all of them. The R7 is also a great detector, but in my opinion with JBV1 the V1G2 is the better choice beating the R7 in every test that @VariableWave and I have done and much worse than all of the other tests I've seen between them by other testers. I haven't tried pairing it with any car audio, but I do run JBV1 and it's amazing! The V1G2 still needs a couple of issues fixed with the ghosting and it's I/O ramp but once that's done it will be damn hard to beat! The off axis range of the V1G2 is unlike any other detector I've ever used including the R7.

Last edited:

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The G2/JBV1 experience is pretty cool, I chose that over the R7 hands down. It is very interactive. Plus, If I remember, you are in Portland--if you go into Washington you might find the aircraft alerts from JBV1really helpful. And the CSA reporting is sooo much better.

Edit--heat maps too. I pretty much got the G2 to complement JBV1. Not kidding.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Having more then one set of test results is a huge factor for me. You and I have spoken about this and I trust what you and @VariableWave have done. Seeing all of the test results is one of the reasons I made the choice to go the route of the V1G2. As I've said all of the forum, I get that all manufactures have issues to work out since there is no perfect roll out per se.

WE are at a point where there a three solid top tier RD's to choose from. Two of which I am a fan off, and most recently MV. I have been treated perfectly my both. I had one from the other manufacturer and really did like that offering, when it was a viable solution.

My R3 is a beast, period. I am now beginning to see how the V1G2 is one as well. Your testing along with Vortex's testing are huge!! And I for one, truly appreciate the work you and @VariableWave put into it as well. Just like the Texas group. Don't want to exclude all of the hard work they put into it as well.
When you get used to running truly great detectors like my R1's, and Redline-O's and your R3, it takes awhile for the V1G2 to separate itself from them. I've had mine long enough now to have gotten the damndest detections I've ever seen in all the years I've been doing this! At first I thought it was a fluke, but it ain't after it happens over and over! The problem is, most of them are so crazy that even when running 2 dashcams, you can't even make a video that will do the alerts justice because of the mind blowing off axis that's involved! @VariableWave is great at making charts and graphs, but it still isn't the same as seeing it in person!

Saleen556

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You have convinced me to give Valentine a shot. I will be ordering one as soon as they are in stock again. I’m still excited for Theia but the Valentine will give me something to tinker with for the time being.

DrHow

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Offended zone changed: bragging, deleted. Bragging was meant positive, not cancel culture negative.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks guys. You have convinced me to give Valentine a shot. I will be ordering one as soon as they are in stock again. I’m still excited for Theia but the Valentine will give me something to tinker with for the time being.
That is my approach too!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If nothing else, V1/JBV1 gives you CSA's, and PAWS where it matters, on the same screen as your alert info. That alone can save your butt from a speed trap. If you forget to start Waze separately, you are still protected.
As an example, I had an on screen alert of a Redflex van at more than 2 km's, radar detection alone gives me 200 metres.
Nothing else does this.

DrHow

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If nothing else, V1/JBV1 gives you CSA's, and PAWS where it matters, on the same screen as your alert info. That alone can save your butt from a speed trap. If you forget to start Waze separately, you are still protected.
As an example, I had an on screen alert of a Redflex van at more than 2 km's, radar detection alone gives me 200 metres.
Nothing else does this.
Ditto

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Or, you are driving along in an unfamiliar area and JBV1 has multiple alerts from the last hour, Waze is lit up with multiple pins, the heat map is red, and then a lidar strike. That sold me on JBV1.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Offended zone changed: bragging, deleted. Bragging was meant positive, not cancel culture negative.
I'm not offended my friend! I just want everyone to know that I'm serious about the comments I make about the V1G2 that's all! You know the old saying, "It ain't bragging if you can back it up"! I really believe this is the best detector I've ever seen!

Last edited:

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
I'm not offended my friend! I just want everyone to know that I'm serious about the comments I make about the V1G2 that's all! You know the old saying, "It ain't bragging if you can back it up"! I really believe this is the best detector I've ever seen!
and we appreciate you brother!

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It is those times, they say do not run two detectors at that Time..... well after you see one ran to distance testing, then have to put them side by side to know if anything is lost... each run can have a variant to weather, traffic, other reasons.. you see which detector shines and why.

Note- if you do run two, need to know what you are seeing/experiencing.

Hmm... what about that BOSS ? :roflolmao:

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It is those times, they say do not run two detectors at that Time..... well after you see one ran to distance testing, then have to put them side by side to know if anything is lost... each run can have a variant to weather, traffic, other reasons.. you see which detector shines and why.

Note- if you do run two, need to know what you are seeing/experiencing.

Hmm... what about that BOSS ? :roflolmao:
What about it?

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member