First post on the forum - Potentially ambitious project

dgem

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi all,
Been browsing the forum for a little while now, but decided it was time to post and get some feedback on a project idea. A year or so ago, I picked up a Uniden R3, which I've used occasionally and can confirm it's a great detector. The primary issue I have with it (and all other dash-mounted detectors aside from the V1) is that having it out on my dash pretty much destroys any chance of talking myself out of a ticket in the event I do get pulled over. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of threads discussing the pros/cons of this, but that's not the point of this post. Since I'm not quite ready to make the investment into a remote unit, I'm thinking I'll try and mount the R3's display in a separate small enclosure along with the two front buttons and then hide the actual unit somewhere in the cabin. After taking apart my r3 today, it looks like all that would need to be done is extend the 22 pin 0.5mm ribbon cable (my estimate on size) from the main board to this external enclosure and unsolder the three connections each from the front buttons/leds and extend these as well. So far, it looks like there are some off-the-shelf parts that could make this possible. I'll admit I'm a little nervous to do this as it doesn't appear anyone has tried yet, but it seems theoretically possible! Aside from any complications in extending the ribbon cable (displays tend not to like connections that are too long), are there any reasons I'm not considering that would make this impossible or improbable?

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Welcome.
Are RD’s illegal where you are?
Why would the V1 be different?

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think @Zakk has done something similar?

Smason

What is a PSL?
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have definitely considered this myself as well.

dgem

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Welcome.
Are RD’s illegal where you are?
Why would the V1 be different?
No, totally legal anywhere I operate it, and I say the V1 is the exception because they already offer a remote display for concealed install.
Post automatically merged:

Couldn't find anything posted about it, but I'd love to see what he's done!

Last edited:

FastStevie

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
>Are RD’s illegal where you are?

It is not always a question of legality but LEO's willingness to cut you some slack.

Saying "I realized I picked up speed coming down hill and hit the brake to slow down" is far more believable when there isn't a big flashing thing going off in the middle of the windshield.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think that you probably could do what you are talking about. That being said, there are a few easier solutions IMO. First, what I generally do. Mount it high and tight, preferably in a location where you can just flip the visor down to obscure it. If you drive a car, you may not even need the visor as it's hard to see up high on the windshield while looking in the cars windows.

You could also get a V1G2 and a concealed display or just an app and mount it high and out of the way as well. I was recently stopped with my G2 and flipped the visor to cover it. The trooper never noticed it, though maybe he was paying more attention to my scanner in plain view. LOL

dgem

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I think that you probably could do what you are talking about. That being said, there are a few easier solutions IMO. First, what I generally do. Mount it high and tight, preferably in a location where you can just flip the visor down to obscure it. If you drive a car, you may not even need the visor as it's hard to see up high on the windshield while looking in the cars windows.

You could also get a V1G2 and a concealed display or just an app and mount it high and out of the way as well. I was recently stopped with my G2 and flipped the visor to cover it. The trooper never noticed it, though maybe he was paying more attention to my scanner in plain view. LOL
Unfortunately I’m in an SUV and one with a relatively large windshield and tan headliner for that matter, but all excellent points. V1G2 is definitely a more reasonable solution, but I’m kinda itching for a project and got a crazy deal on my detector, so unless anyone’s looking to trade their V1G2 for an R3 (lol), I’ll probably forge ahead on this. Thanks for all the great replies so far, honored to be a part of such a knowledgeable forum!

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I remember seeing something in some discussion here about a physical limitation of how long an extension cable one can do before it stops working. Not sure what it was about, maybe the discussion about getting a signal directly from the Uniden R7's pins.
Also, any discussion around @RadarMirror 's products might have discussed extending the screen's cable too.

Zakk

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Attached a Zip file for anyone keen to find a good sized black case and summary of a build to remotely control a Uniden R7. Vertical mounting was essential for Redflex low power K in NZ to get 200m range. It was tricky to fit in so I had to remove the top of the R7 unit, but that did aid in extra air space to cool. As R7 is large this case should work with all other sized radar detectors. Kept it as small as I could to keep it disctrete - quite hard to know its there with the grill on and in shadow. Have had no overheating issues to date. :)

Attachments

• Remote Housing.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

milkman

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
welcome to the forum

cbbr

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons that I went with a NetRadar - there is nothing to see.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Attached a Zip file for anyone keen to find a good sized black case and summary of a build to remotely control a Uniden R7. Vertical mounting was essential for Redflex low power K in NZ to get 200m range. It was tricky to fit in so I had to remove the top of the R7 unit, but that did aid in extra air space to cool. As R7 is large this case should work with all other sized radar detectors. Kept it as small as I could to keep it disctrete - quite hard to know its there with the grill on and in shadow. Have had no overheating issues to date. :)
Very kool! thanks for sharing.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deathkillex