DA car polisher recommendations

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking for guidance on DA polishers. I will be ceramic coating my car in the next month or so and one step of this is paint correction.
I'm not looking for the absolute top of the line but I don't want junk either. This won't be something that I do for hire. Just something that
I'll do for myself very infrequently.

One other task I might do as well with it is polishing my aluminum boat. Its got a fair amount of oxidation on it. I know about the chemical
treatments but I prefer the polished look.
792EED41-2DCA-4E78-94D0-AE9B6C30AFF5_1_201_a.jpeg

grayman

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Porter Cable XP 7424 is more than adequate for low volume home use. Autogeek has kits with backing plates & pads for under $200

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
If love my Rupes Bigfoot 15 MKIII but it isn't the most affordable option.. I would think if you are going to only use it once in a while, probably never again on the coated car you could get by with just about anything... Griots and Adam's both have fairly inexpensive models...G9 and Swirl Killers I think
Post automatically merged:

You might be better served by a few different tools on that boat... I am guessing a Rotary and ton of wool pads to cut through the oxidation quickly than a random orbital to finish....

Last edited:

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Griot's G9 will give you the most bang for the buck at $149. It has more power and is less likely to stall than the 7424XP which is also a good machine.

GTO_04

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations so far.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
One other task I might do as well with it is polishing my aluminum boat. Its got a fair amount of oxidation on it. I know about the chemical
treatments but I prefer the polished look.
If you make that think a shiny mirror on the water, be prepared for a lot of nasty looks from blinded cohorts! :holy:

Reactions: SVG

nomore55

PSL +10%
Advanced User
Reaction score
Yeah, the new Griot's G9 is a crazy value at $150. I'm having to resist buying it . . I already bought two other machines this year. Maybe next :)

aim4squirrels

Currently edging...
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Boat is gel (hell) coat. That's a whole 'nother animal vs. car paint.

Wool pads, pad spur, heavy cut compound, and a rotary polisher highly recommended for oxidized boat gel coat. Might get away with a Flex and hybrid wool pads, but it'll be a slow go.

You can shine gel coat with just a cutting pad and compounds, but it's not going to cut the scratches out, just wipe out the oxidized layer.

BTW, cultured marble countertops and tubs use the exact same kind of gel coat as a boat does. I gave our master bathroom a makeover this summer, new paint, fixtures, refinished the wood, resealed tiles and grout and:

20200729_161615.jpg

20200729_161543.jpg

It's tough to catch in a photo, but you can see the reflections of the baseboards in the tub at a distance. But if you look in the light reflections on the countertops in pic #2 you can see the gouges in the gel coat are still visible.

That was 2 passes with my most aggressive compound and foam pad on the gel coat. I could have gone wool, but honestly to get the scratches 100% gone, wet sanding is in order, but I wasn't going to put that much effort into a surface that gets used and abused daily.

I just cut the oxidation off and sealed it with a car coating, LOL.

Last edited:

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rupes - they are tuned and help reduce risk of adding paint marks, swirls and paint burning.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I coated my bathroom sinks with GTechniq EXO and top them with C2V3 and do the drain super fast and are so easy to clean.
Y’all are coating your regular old ceramic sinks?? It would never have even occurred to me that might be a thing. I hope I get that bored some time :)

Gothamnyc

Advanced User
Reaction score
@SVG Awesome! You will love it! Now it is time to stock up on pads! Look at something called the "Kevin Brown Washer Mod" if you decide to go at that boat!

Reactions: SVG

SVG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the KB tip. I just might make an attempt at the boat this winter when the water gets hard.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon450