Max 2 settings for the wife's car?

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I said I would never buy her another detector after the third one she had stolen of mine for once again leaving her vehicle unlocked but I be dang the few times I do drive it , not having one in there or me having to bring one out of the vault is time consuming and I am tired of it....So I purchased a used one last week and put it through the paces this weekend verifying all bands was receiving and everything checked out in the wild. All went well so I updated the firmware and database this morning, quick shot of each band on the bench and all still looks good......However, I have no clue how the BSM filtering is on K band.......We live in tough terrain and K band everywhere but 9 times out of 10 it is C/O......

Definitely prefer her not to use Auto Mode....

My question is this,

If I set up in Highway, Cruise Alert 20, Auto Learn On, TSR On, Auto Mute On, would it be sufficient for coverage and bearable BSM wise?

She is not very detector savy....

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Based on what I've been seeing other Max 2 owners say, and since you updated the fw (which should have their IVT update), I would think so, but others who actually have one would have to say for sure.

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes X is off....Not needed...Thanks for the input....

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi Croup,
I bought my dad a Max II for Chirstmas.
Gave it a workout and some testing.
K Band highway mode it is pretty standard K Band range equal to Pro M and 9500ix at maximum settings.
Auto Mode definetely chops it down, even at higher speeds.
I would say similar to how the new Redline works, but much better than the new Max 3 Auto mode.
Don't be afraid to use Auto in heavy city traffic, it will help with falsing and deliver enough range for sub 45 mph driving.
Any roads over 45 mph I would go to highway mode.
BSM is similar, perhaps just a tad more falses than a well set up R3 running 30-40%, but more than city mode for sure unless on Auto Mode.
Auto lockouts are where it will shine, the Max II alerts to every door opener that the R series does, just with a bit less range and intensity.
After awhile the Max II will seem quieter because she'll have auto lockouts of most annoyances.
I think you did good for a user friendly minimal interaction detector.
I recommend them for the non-enthusiast croud, or the Pro M if it can get set up right and manual lockouts aren't too much work.
Ka band is typical Max series performance. Adequate.

I would have quiet ride at 30 mph or whatever your default city speed limit is. No need for beeps if not speeding.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I looked back on my old testing and Max II was decent on Auto mode, similar in maximum range to R7 City Mode when driving at higher speeds. Drops off dramitically when slowing down, as it should for dense urban areas.

Z06fan

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I did some testing on mine after they updated the firmware so I'll share my experience. The k band filtering isn't perfect but it's a lot better than it used to be. Prior to the update, I had stopped using mine. I run the Max2 in the same vehicle with a Bel STiR mounted and run my Max2 on Auto to minimize falsing. This is going to sound funny and it may just be my Max2, but even on Auto, it performs pretty closely with my STiR. I know in some of the recent testing with the new Max3 there's been a big variation on how it performed on Auto versus HWY but I haven't noticed that with my Max2. Needless to say, this is just my experience so take it coming from one person.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I said I would never buy her another detector after the third one she had stolen of mine for once again leaving her vehicle unlocked but I be dang the few times I do drive it , not having one in there or me having to bring one out of the vault is time consuming and I am tired of it....So I purchased a used one last week and put it through the paces this weekend verifying all bands was receiving and everything checked out in the wild. All went well so I updated the firmware and database this morning, quick shot of each band on the bench and all still looks good......However, I have no clue how the BSM filtering is on K band.......We live in tough terrain and K band everywhere but 9 times out of 10 it is C/O......

Definitely prefer her not to use Auto Mode....

My question is this,

If I set up in Highway, Cruise Alert 20, Auto Learn On, TSR On, Auto Mute On, would it be sufficient for coverage and bearable BSM wise?

She is not very detector savy....
auto is NOT bad on the Max O. I would guess same on the Max 2. Running that, plus, cruise alert, auto learn on, TSR on, auto mute on, latest FW from... what, maybe two years, I think she will like. BSM filtering is good, auto on my Max Os does not neuter range or reactivity commensurate to in town variable speeds, and it helps as one part of BSM management.

I would do some ”pre false door opener runs” for her and lock them out. Verses waiting for the default three and out, auto lockout on her common traveled roads. You will need auto lockout running. They can be noisy piking up false door openers. Especially when not running auto. Oh, turn off X unless you are in odd X band real radar area.

Team members who have used these, like them. Same for wife. Mine are close to as quiet as Pro M. Which is saying something. I make no bones about the Max2 platform being latest top flight. However for years I ran them, mostly reason for retiring the V1G1 (All of this before knowing about RDF). They worked well with EL, did not have reliability issues. FW updates began to help more and more with BSM expansion.

Let us know if you two get similar results.

eric15178

If you ain't 1st you're last-Ricky Bobby
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If she's used detectors before, she'll like it.

I leave the tsr off and no cruise alert and it's not too bad. Been saved sitting at lights and was about to step on it as soon as it flips green. Don't want to miss an alert

Overall i like my unit. However i started a thread about mine. I've had it happen at least 3 times now where it's not audibly alerting. See the cop, look at the detector and full strength 34.7 signal. Not cool. They suggested updating it, although I'm sure they haven't updated it since ive gotten it maybe 2 years max ago
Post automatically merged:

We do have some k around here. I leave it on auto in my town. Highway everywhere else. Been thinking aboht just leaving it on highway all the time but still will rock the auto by the house.

I set it up to not miss alerts. The only adjustments i do to it are auto or highway. She should be able to do that where she thinks it's needed over time, after getting used to it, especially if she drives with detectors

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jreihsen