Most discrete dashcam models?

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So, I have to park in a fairly high property crime area for work. Most of the crimes are "smash-and-grab" type crimes for any stuff visible in vehicles.

My RD and mount get removed from the windshield and secured out of sight everyday as I approach my parking space. I am looking for a dashcam camera unit that I can mount very discreetly as to not draw suspicion. Anything sticking to the windshield is definitely out as too obvious. I was hoping to mount a tiny camera head unit between the headliner and rear view mirror and hardwire it in. Any other recording/control components, I can hide under the dash or seats. I am installing the camera for recording driving, not security while parked.

Suggestions as to brands/models and any posts that show discreet installs appreciated.

Thanks!

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What make and model of vehicle do you have? Maybe some of the members familiar with it can offer up suggestions for specific ideas...

SwapFile

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Maybe it could help to use a rear view mirror mount (blendmount)? They seem to be less obvious.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used the mini0806 in the past, it is the length of an AA battery and the thickness of about two AA batteries. This model is no longer available, but a similar one with a rear camera is now available.

Aliexpress link to dashcam

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@OldtimeRadar have you looked at the SG9663DR? It might be just what you’re looking for, a front and rear cam aero with a remote “brain” that you put in the glove box or under the seat or wherever is best for you.

By the way, they have a handful in stock now, so call them to ask, or else next week they get their big shipment in.

Maybe it could help to use a rear view mirror mount (blendmount)? They seem to be less obvious.
To me hanging something off your rear view mirror in the middle of the car is way more obvious than tucking it high and tight against the headliner.

Last edited:

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Beginner User
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with these, but perhaps a rear view mirror w built-in dash cam would meet your needs.

I found this link which may give you some ideas, again I can't vouch for any of them:

Good luck in your search.

JustinM2C

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I feel like my street guardians are pretty discreet compared to other options available.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I heard people say the blackvue cameras are discreet. I agree and disagree. The rear camera on the blackvue is long and sticks out on the rear window like a sore thumb. The small rear camera on the a129 still can be seen when walking by at the right angle, but i feel better about it being discreet.

I been using dash cameras that look very similar to the a129 for many years. I parked my car in very bad neighborhoods for many nights with the camera still mounted. You can't see it because it's hidden in the windshield dot matrix.

20200719_160048.jpg

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard people say the blackvue cameras are discreet. I agree and disagree. The rear camera on the blackvue is long and sticks out on the rear window like a sore thumb. The small rear camera on the a129 still can be seen when walking by at the right angle, but i feel better about it being discreet.
Nobody ever seems to notice my wedge style cam, either. Only ever had one mechanic notice it even while inside.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Just looked it up - that's a pretty impressive camera!

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nobody ever seems to notice my wedge style cam, either. Only ever had one mechanic notice it even while inside.
Same here. Had some tinting installed yesterday and the two guys clearly didn't realize my A129 Pro was there based on the conversation they had.

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nitemare50