Question about V1 G2 and how it compares to the R7, also V1 driver

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
@coss370 welcome to the forum. I don’t have an R7 so I can’t give an opinion on the 2. I came from an R1. Compared to that, the Ka 35.5 range is significantly better.

samq45

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I am currently using V1Driver as the connecting app. Can someone tell me if the app can actually disable the V1 noise or does it work independently of the V1.

I dont think you can disable the V1 noise itself with Driver, (maybe you can) - , but if you go into V1 Driver sound settings and make sure to uncheck V1 Alert Tones. That will shut off the sound from the App/phone/car for alerts and you only have the V1 noise, - you might want to shut off V1 Boot tones.
Post automatically merged:

On the other hand, Ka performance I saw a slight advantage with the V1G2. Is anyone seeing that?

I am seeing more than a slight advantage against the R3/R7, in fact I am thinking of sending my R7 and R3 in for repair, they seem a little weak now that I have the V1.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the app can actually disable the V1 noise or does it work independently of the V1. If I want to rely on the app only, do I disable the noise on the detector?

I meant to respond to this previously and @samq45's post reminded me. :)

Paraphrasing what he said, each device controls the volume of the noises that come out of it. If you want the V1 quieter or louder, use the buttons. If you had an Remote Audio Accessory from Valentine; the knobs on it only control the volume of the speaker in that unit.
For the most part, the same is true of the apps. (There are API functions for muting the speaker of the V1 itself though)

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, super helpful. I like the unit, but I cant say these devices are all that super friendly. As someone who likes to understand how, I find myself cursing at it a lot as I am confused about many of the features. I went through the manual quickly I don't even think some are listed on there.

I have a few more follow up, I promise I am done soon.

1. Before I turn my mute down completely, can someone tell me if the V1 sends certain signal to mute automatically? I have noticed many alerts started (mostly K) at the mute level. If I turn down the Mute, I am afraid I will miss something as I am not 100% comfortable with the alert from V1 driver yet since I am still learning with it. I will take the discussion on V1 driver to the other thread. I turned off X band, I am getting the stupid falses in my garage....

2. The flashing arrow on double bogey means it is the newest alert right? That should be the location that I am most interested in?

3. Is there any other extension that is longer than the one valentine sells? I have the unit on my windshield at eye level. I am seriously thinking about bringing it up even though it is behind the special coating of the windshield.

4. My current setup can run the detector indefinitely and I don't have to worry about the battery drainage. Yet I am afraid it willl knock the life out of the V1. What do you guys think?

5. The unit seems to run very hot, any concern?

6. Is there any mount that can work on steeper raked windshield? My unit tilts upward when I place it near the top due to the rake.

7. I don't believe this unit has any AI to learn falses or GPS location? Can someone confirm.

I think that's all the question I have on this detector......

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
During an
alert, you’ll hear Bogey (“Dee-Deet”) Lock each time an
additional bogey is detected. The Bogey Counter shows the
total, which, in the case of overlapping alarms, will be 2 or
more. If they are in different directions, more than one
direction arrow will glow. When multiple directions are
being monitored, the computer will decide which is most
dangerous and that one will be indicated by a flashing
arrow. The audio warning will correspond to that bogey.

5. Everyone does. It's probably fine due to metal case.

7. There is no gps to do those things. But your phone can add it. Download either jbv1 for Android only

or v1driver for apple or Android

Last edited:

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
@coss370 please continue to ask the questions. For one, I know the community is here to help. Second, I am new to the V1G2 and JBV1 and in an effort to not be redundant, I am following this thread since many of my questions are in line with what you're asking.

And welcome to RDF!!

Daaavid

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have a Tesla Model X, ideally I want it at the top of the windshield. It does happen to have the special coating that tints the glass at the very top. Is it good to mount the radar detector there?
Take a look at your owner's manual and verify where you can mount an RFID device, GPS, phone, etc. on this windshield. If your windshield is coated and has the embedded heating element, RD performance is going to suffer enormously and you're going to get a very expensive lesson. The spot where you can mount an item like this is usually to the left or right of the rear view mirror housing unit or bottom center of the dashboard.

The number of Range Rovers I see around town with a radar detector mounted smack dab in the middle of their coated windshield is not only inviting thieves, but makes your RD as good as a Cobra pointing to the skies. ;-)

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
See replies in red below:
1. Before I turn my mute down completely, can someone tell me if the V1 sends certain signal to mute automatically? I have noticed many alerts started (mostly K) at the mute level. If I turn down the Mute, I am afraid I will miss something as I am not 100% comfortable with the alert from V1 driver yet since I am still learning with it. I will take the discussion on V1 driver to the other thread. I turned off X band, I am getting the stupid falses in my garage....
In Logic mode (little L), you will receive a visual alert for weak signals, but the tone will start at the muted volume level. Once the signal becomes stronger, or if it is an initial strong alert, the detector will alert at the main volume level. Check out the manual or quick start guide for more information on this. The apps receive this information from the detector as well, and have different ways of dealing with it. The V1Driver subforum is a great place to ask questions and get the app tweaked to your liking.

2. The flashing arrow on double bogey means it is the newest alert right? That should be the location that I am most interested in?
The flashing arrow refers to the Priority alert, as decided by the detector logic. Refer to the manual for more info on this. Again, the apps know which signal(s) the detector considers priority, and can act on this in different ways.

3. Is there any other extension that is longer than the one valentine sells? I have the unit on my windshield at eye level. I am seriously thinking about bringing it up even though it is behind the special coating of the windshield.
If you use the included hardwire kit, you should have plenty of cable to run up the A-pillar and under the headliner for a clean install. Otherwise you can buy a longer RJ11 cable to allow for other cable routings, but make sure you find a high-quality one. The voltage drop over a long run of poor quality cable can cause issues with the detector.

4. My current setup can run the detector indefinitely and I don't have to worry about the battery drainage. Yet I am afraid it willl knock the life out of the V1. What do you guys think?
It should be fine, but why no hardwire into a switched power source and not have to worry about it?

5. The unit seems to run very hot, any concern?
That is normal, no reason for concern.

6. Is there any mount that can work on steeper raked windshield? My unit tilts upward when I place it near the top due to the rake.
You can try a permanent mount from eBay, or some have had luck using the included visor mount and tucking it into the headliner. This is a common question, and there are several threads on V1 mounting if you do a search.

7. I don't believe this unit has any AI to learn falses or GPS location? Can someone confirm.
There is no GPS built into the detector for patent reasons, but running with an app like V1Driver or JBV1 allows you to add GPS based muting/autolockout functionality that is superior to anything currently available built into any detector.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal