Question about V1 G2 and how it compares to the R7, also V1 driver

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hi, newbie with the V1 G2 and the R7. Anyway I had a chance to use them side by side on my 200 miles drive today. I have a few questions that I would like some help on.

V1. I am currently using V1Driver as the connecting app. Can someone tell me if the app can actually disable the V1 noise or does it work independently of the V1. If I want to rely on the app only, do I disable the noise on the detector? In V1 driver, what does all the PINs do? Does it automatically mute those locations after you drive by it a few times or do you have to mark it yourself? Also I still don't get the difference between Mute and Snooze on the app. It's totally confusing.

As far as the actual unit, I have noticed the R7 is picking up K band way earlier than the V1G2. Several times the G2 barely got the stationary radars while the R7 would pick it up 1/4 miles prior. I don't know if it is the filters filtering it out or what. There are many K band radars the V1G2 didn't pick up along the trip, the performance gap was huge. Now to be fair, none of those K bands were real with the exception of the stationary radars. Still, should I be concern that the V1 is not picking up those radars or at least they are filtering it out?

On the other hand, Ka performance I saw a slight advantage with the V1G2. Is anyone seeing that?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What mode? L, l or A?

fred50stang

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Personally I don’t respond to K-band notifications. Rarely does my v1g2 sound off with a strong kband hit. I recently drove 3000+ miles across country and It did pick up the traffic speed signs and such. But I didn’t get one legit k-band hit that was a LEO. I turned K-band off for the return trip. Yes I know.... I live dangerously. But I currently have it on for local driving, waiting for the one legit LEO using that band.
Your questions about V1 driver(iOS) are good ones. As I don’t quite understand it either. In for comments too.

fwiw- I run little “l” and kband verifier on.

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
You’re probably in L mode. K band range in L is neutered pretty badly in hopes of limiting K falses.

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I was in little L, I don't have an issue to skip K band, but I am a little nervous that the R7 is picking everything up and the V1 is doing nothing. On the other hand, I still don't get how the K band from the stationary speed signs don't get picked up by the V1 either a lot of times. I have seen the R7 miss them too, it's totally weird. I wonder if they are being marked as junk?

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If you want to see what is being filtered out on the Gen2, turn off the K-Verifyer feature. You'll likely want to turn it back on after a short drive.

Some "Your Speed is" signs are using non-standard methods and won't cause an alert on many detectors.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
[/]
Hi, newbie with the V1 G2 and the R7. Anyway I had a chance to use them side by side on my 200 miles drive today. I have a few questions that I would like some help on.

V1. I am currently using V1Driver as the connecting app. Can someone tell me if the app can actually disable the V1 noise or does it work independently of the V1. If I want to rely on the app only, do I disable the noise on the detector? In V1 driver, what does all the PINs do? Does it automatically mute those locations after you drive by it a few times or do you have to mark it yourself? Also I still don't get the difference between Mute and Snooze on the app. It's totally confusing.

As far as the actual unit, I have noticed the R7 is picking up K band way earlier than the V1G2. Several times the G2 barely got the stationary radars while the R7 would pick it up 1/4 miles prior. I don't know if it is the filters filtering it out or what. There are many K band radars the V1G2 didn't pick up along the trip, the performance gap was huge. Now to be fair, none of those K bands were real with the exception of the stationary radars. Still, should I be concern that the V1 is not picking up those radars or at least they are filtering it out?

On the other hand, Ka performance I saw a slight advantage with the V1G2. Is anyone seeing that?
The V1G2 is far better at filtering out K falses than the R7. When you get a legit K band signal however, it will do just fine. On ANY ka signal it is a beast and will alert ahead of the R7 and anything else as well. On off axis Ka band it's simply amazing!

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Also be aware that the R7 is hypersensitive on K band.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
You have to turn the v1 second volume down. Or else you'll hear your muted alerts.

To do this press and hold a volume button till you hear the repeated volume noise.

Then press the mute/power button. The speaker with the line thru it should turn on. If the light is on then press the volume down button till you get to 0.

Doing this will turn your muted volume to 0.

Now your detector will have gps app based false lockouts.

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I tried that, will test more today on the mute, but I also have the R7 running at the same time, so it was like a beeping galore.

Yes I agree V1 was performing slightly better than the R7, couple hundred feet, not anything super crazy, but the few times I saw it the V1 did win.

Yeah the R7 is super sensitive on K, I am just concern because the V1 wasn't making any sound even when the R7 is beeping like no tomorrow.

Bloovy, good call on that test, let me give that a shot.

How are those your speed is different? I am just curious. I would say the R7 picked up 9 out of 10, 7 or 8 of them I had plenty of warning. On the V1, it would only pick up 3 out of 5 but it would beep only sec ahead of the sign

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
How are those your speed is different? I am just curious.
Do a search for "speed sign", and you'll find this has been discussed at length. Here's one link to get you started:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
I tried that, will test more today on the mute, but I also have the R7 running at the same time, so it was like a beeping galore.

Yes I agree V1 was performing slightly better than the R7, couple hundred feet, not anything super crazy, but the few times I saw it the V1 did win.

Yeah the R7 is super sensitive on K, I am just concern because the V1 wasn't making any sound even when the R7 is beeping like no tomorrow.

Bloovy, good call on that test, let me give that a shot.

How are those your speed is different? I am just curious. I would say the R7 picked up 9 out of 10, 7 or 8 of them I had plenty of warning. On the V1, it would only pick up 3 out of 5 but it would beep only sec ahead of the sign

Was it a legitimate K thread or some bs speed sign or after non-cop false threat? If it wasn’t a cop, then the V1 is doing what it should... being silent because it wasn’t a legit threat. If those signs are informational signs only and don’t take your pic and send you tickets, what’s the problem? Do you want to hear falses?

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Most were false signals and/or speed signs. I don't have a problem with them ignoring it, but ideally I would like to confirm the radar is ignoring it by design rather than not seeing it. There is a huge difference there.

coss370

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Okay so I spent more time on it, I did confirm the V1 is the ones filtering it out. As soon as I turned K filter off, the unit was coming on like a bird. It was way more sensitive than the R7, so I guess the R7 does have some filters in it too. As far as the fake K performance, they were both similar with the V1 picking up more (not earlier). So I guess it does work. I am getting used to the unit. I do have a few other questions.

I have a Tesla Model X, ideally I want it at the top of the windshield. It does happen to have the special coating that tints the glass at the very top. Is it good to mount the radar detector there?

Secondly, is it okay to turn off the car without turning off the unit first?

Lastly, I made some adjustment and now my little L has a . next to it. What does that mean again?

Thanks

I am almost done, sorry for all the questions.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Secondly, is it okay to turn off the car without turning off the unit first?

Lastly, I made some adjustment and now my little L has a . next to it. What does that mean again?

Yes. I have mine turn off with the car and on again with the car.

The dot next to the Bogey counter tells you that you are using Custom Frequencies. :)

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If you have custom freqs set make sure you set them for the bands you need (Ka, K?) if you only do one, the other will not alert at all.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
^^^ Good point! Running two detectors at the same time can lead to false results.

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
If your R7 is too chatty on K you can turn the sensitivity percentage down

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal