Hit with Ka band 34.6

beo111

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was headed home today from work and my R7 started going off with Ka band so I knew a Leo was coming up. It's pretty much Ka band here in my town that they're always running. The signal got stronger and I knew pretty much where they usually park which I saw him eventually, but I noticed after I passed him that it was Ka 34.694.

Isn't that way out of range? I've never seen 34.6!

I'm here in Hartford, Wisconsin.
20200722_151934.jpg
20200722_151936.jpg
20200722_151957.jpg

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Extremely extremely extremely common. Most Stalker DSR units with dual antennas have 34.7xx front antenna frequencies and 34.6xx rear antenna frequencies. There has to be an offset for the antennas do not interfere with each other.. Every time I encounter NJSP/NYSP/NYPD it's always that way.

Attachments

infiniti

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That’s only 6 thousands from 34.7. That’s about where 34.7 runs for me all of the time.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I noticed after I passed him that it was Ka 34.694.

Isn't that way out of range? I've never seen 34.6!
Most segments give it the center frequency of 34.700 MHz plus or minus a good 200 MHz, meaning easily down to 34.500 and up to 34.900. Your 34.694 is only 6 MHz off the center frequency, which is nearly dead on center.

One of the reasons I'm really looking forward to Theia is, if it lives up to the promise, it really won't matter how far they stray. No more segmenting or wondering.

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I agree with what the others have said, this is not uncommon. Sometimes on 35.5 here in my area, I'll see a 35.4XX on my R7. The Leo's in my area though.....their guns tend to be well tuned. Can't count how many times I've seen 34.700 or 35.500 on the head! This is another reason I decided to buy the Gen2, now I can have some logged proof of some of the things that I see, dash cam don't always tell the story.

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Extremely extremely extremely common. Most Stalker DSR units with dual antennas have 34.7xx front antenna frequencies and 34.6xx rear antenna frequencies. There has to be an offset for the antennas do not interfere with each other.. Every time I encounter NJSP/NYSP/NYPD it's always that way.
I was seeing jumping between two Ka frequencies around a NYSP encounter. I thought overdriving at first, but this explains it.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which two frequencies? And what detector?
He most likely meant. 34.6xx and 34.7xx for the antenna offset on dual setups.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
He most likely meant. 34.6xx and 34.7xx for the antenna offset on dual setups.
Ah, I was thinking he was referring to the “hopping” stuff. I remain unconvinced about any intentional design much less consistency of the frequency below center for rear and above for front antenna setups, but maybe I’m missing something.

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ah, I was thinking he was referring to the “hopping” stuff. I remain unconvinced about any intentional design much less consistency of the frequency below center for rear and above for front antenna setups, but maybe I’m missing something.

Stalker Dual is the unit of choice in Utah...99% of the time the front is tuned to 34.7 and the rear is tuned to 34.6.

I am incredibly comfortable saying it is absolutely on purpose as I literally see it multiple times a day every day.

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Stalker Dual is the unit of choice in Utah...99% of the time the front is tuned to 34.7 and the rear is tuned to 34.6.

I am incredibly comfortable saying it is absolutely on purpose as I literally see it multiple times a day every day.
I realize you’re comfortable saying that, but I don’t see where that makes sense. First, none of the fleet guys are “tuning” it themselves, are they? How are they verifying frequency? They just grab one of the antennas out of the box and put it on the mount and hook it up to the cable, and then repeat for the other one, test for connectivity, maybe test with a tuning fork, and they’re done. Second, I’ve seen them all over the map in terms of frequency (within +- 200MHz), because it’s not like they never drift up or down. Third, even if they came from the factory intentionally majorly off-center, which they don’t seem to be, it would be purely luck of the draw which antenna was thrown on the windshield and which was the rear; I’ve never seen any labeling of them on new units in the box (I’ve only seen pics). They don’t interfere with each other anyway, so none of it adds up that they’re intentionally off at all, much less any consistency in front versus rear.

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I realize you’re comfortable saying that, but I don’t see where that makes sense. First, none of the fleet guys are “tuning” it themselves, are they? How are they verifying frequency? They just grab one of the antennas out of the box and put it on the mount and hook it up to the cable, and then repeat for the other one, test for connectivity, maybe test with a tuning fork, and they’re done. Second, I’ve seen them all over the map in terms of frequency (within +- 200MHz), because it’s not like they never drift up or down. Third, even if they came from the factory intentionally majorly off-center, which they don’t seem to be, it would be purely luck of the draw which antenna was thrown on the windshield and which was the rear; I’ve never seen any labeling of them on new units in the box (I’ve only seen pics). They don’t interfere with each other anyway, so none of it adds up that they’re intentionally off at all, much less any consistency in front versus rear.
I just got off the phone with a Stalker Tech. The antenna units are labeled “KC and KR”. KC is set at 34.7xx and KR is set at 34.6xx. KR is technically considered “rear”.

In his words “They MUST have an offset in order to not interfere with each other when both are in use”.

I now feel 100% comfortable stating it is on purpose and the units are marked to make installation simple. (He did say it doesn’t matter which is front or back, but that in their instructions KR says rear). I’m guessing the KC and KR are part of the serial number on the antenna.

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Which two frequencies? And what detector?
UNIDEN DFR7. I see the frequency clearly going from 34.6X to 34.7X and back as I get close. Probably just displaying the stronger of the two (which changes) as I get close and there are lots of reflections.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with a Stalker Tech. The antenna units are labeled “KC and KR”. KC is set at 34.7xx and KR is set at 34.6xx. KR is technically considered “rear”.

In his words “They MUST have an offset in order to not interfere with each other when both are in use”.

I now feel 100% comfortable stating it is on purpose and the units are marked to make installation simple. (He did say it doesn’t matter which is front or back, but that in their instructions KR says rear). I’m guessing the KC and KR are part of the serial number on the antenna.
Wow never knew that...thanks!

VariableWave

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
One big thing to remember, the Manufactures can create any device (after Registering) between 33.4 - 36 GHz. Many have made their nest eggs at 33.8 , 34.7, and 35.5... as this was opened, as before was original set 34.2-35.2 from 1983-92 opening to what we see today.

A manufacture will license their device, some show the full spectrum, and other may select (Stamp) their device in a predefined frequency. Over time electronics will drift, the manufacture with space for other on the road radar sources, and as mentioned above, need to open that broadcast (Initial Transmission/Carrier) to no and interfere with the Front and Rear transmission... allowing for multi tracking of targets, or one as it passes between the LEO.

What concerns me, is anytime a manufacture could ($$$) license to another part of the band where detectors could blind themselves to, not alerting that driver. MPH Bee series did something to disrupt the detector world with Fast On/Pulse/POP mode. Said overtime, to failed to be hold up in court due to issues and false reading.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firecrafter