Best days/times to drive I5

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
southbound:
In my experience, Sunday afternoon from Portland into the night has been the best time to drive southbound to SF. The last two times I’ve only seen a few officers and no Waze reports

northbound:
Tuesday was pretty clean, with only 3 officers last month. Mid June, Sunday was awful, with over 20 chp/ohp officers (about a week after the first protests/riots). Anything between Eugene and Portland before 2pm is awful.

from LA, I’ve also had great experiences doing I5 northbound Friday evenings. Nearly no cars, and only a single CHP officer the entire way.

bonus: here is the waze reporting from that Sunday northbound drive

Attachments

• 94D97AD6-52D7-41FA-9EC0-2FB4A8B3D0EA.jpeg
    94D97AD6-52D7-41FA-9EC0-2FB4A8B3D0EA.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 64

Bossdad71

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, sounds like you got it figured out

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
ModSec
Administrator
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I drive I5 a lot. During non-covid times I'll probably drive from san jose to LA once or twice a week.

I prefer to travel in the middle of the night (1am). There's always just enough cars to not worry about I/O but not enough to get in my way so i can usually make it in under 4 hours.

If I have to travel during the day, ill try to leave LA around 11. Not too much traffic leaving the city and i5 tends to be pretty much consistent. The benefit of doing it during the day is I get lidar whereas at night time I only see radar.

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I drive I5 a lot. During non-covid times I'll probably drive from san jose to LA once or twice a week.

I prefer to travel in the middle of the night (1am). There's always just enough cars to not worry about I/O but not enough to get in my way so i can usually make it in under 4 hours.

If I have to travel during the day, ill try to leave LA around 11. Not too much traffic leaving the city and i5 tends to be pretty much consistent. The benefit of doing it during the day is I get lidar whereas at night time I only see radar.
This. I rest up , set the alarm for 0300am , out of the driveway by 0330. I hit La by sun up.

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

Are there any typical spots you typically see lidar in? Headed down to LA in a few days.

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I was in grad school, I left UCSD at around 3 am to go see friends in Berkeley. I went through LA with no issues at around 4 am, and by around 5:30 am, I had reached the Grapevine. It was in late March/early April, and with DST, the Sun came up early and there was almost no traffic in the San Joaquin Valley. I cruised pretty much the entire way from Grapevine to I-580 at 95 mph.

FusionLegend69

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
SFO -> LA leaving at 6:15 AM, taking the 580 -> i5 (rather than 101) got me into LA before 11am. Empty Hayward to Pleasanton had some traffic, but still was moving at 70-80mph. i5 moving avg was over 90mph, and did not drop until well into the grapevine. Cops at the entrance to the grapevine (always see them hiding near 34.89,-118.9115028).

There has been some crossover construction recently on i5, somewhere at about the halfway point... cant find any info on caltrans' website, but I've only seen CHP there once out of 10 passes (only midday-afternoon?)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gschaaf77