Need to power V1 G2 and USB Dash cam

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So in my previous car my v1 g2 had a mirror tap. Worked fine.
I then ran my dash cam with a cig lighter USB adapter. One cord (the dash cams) didn't bother me.

Now with my new car, I don't want to fiddle with mirror tap due to the camera and other sensors that are up there.
Also don't want to hard wire it.

I can use the USB in the center console for apple car play. No biggie.
That leaves me with a open USB port and cig lighter. The cig lighter powers the v1 g2 BUT the usb outlet DOES NOT power the dash cam. It goes into PC mode when plugged in.

Is there an adapter that has RJ11 and USB on one?

Thanks!

IcePick74

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
In a friends truck we ran into that issue with the camera, took us 2 trips to figure out what was happening, we thought it was a bad card in the camera.
Use a USB power only adapter - also known as USB condom.
That will prevent the camera from seeing a host connection.

SwankPeRFection

✅ Whatever chupakabra.
Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Check both USB ports with your camera. Chances are good one is triggering the cam to go into PC mode (download content off of it) because the port is going to the head unit and USB storage is being triggered as a function. On some cars this is configurable as to if yo use USB for media content.

gs1

Learning to Drive
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
General User
Reaction score
You could always power the V1 g2 with a Savvy plugged in the OBD2 port. Easy to run the straight wire provided with the V1 g2 from that. Granted its a bit pricey if you don’t already have one, but would be a clean easy way to get power, and the low speed mute function will be useful as it works without the need of an app should a spouse or kids drive the car. That’s how I plan to wire mine...I saw on the V1 site that the Savvy is compatible with the New G2, so I hung onto it when I sold my G1.

Last edited:

CheatDay2020

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
In a friends truck we ran into that issue with the camera, took us 2 trips to figure out what was happening, we thought it was a bad card in the camera.
Use a USB power only adapter - also known as USB condom.
That will prevent the camera from seeing a host connection.

Thanks so much! I ordered one from Amazon. It should be here tomorrow. I'll update with my results.

Reactions: gs1

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John RD