Running R3 on Default Settings

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So I got an R3 last year and love it! Huge upgrade from my old Cobra 6 band I bought like a decade and a half ago. Mine came with 1.48 firmware, which it was pretty quiet on default. I then upgraded to 1.50 firmware. It was still pretty quiet after the update, but a little more chatty with falses, but not enough to bug me.

I tried playing with some settings once and it got real chatty so I factory reset it. Is there anything wrong with running it on the default settings? Or should I copy and paste some settings off the forum here? The one thing that does bug me is when I pull up to the grocery store, it goes nuts from scanning the electronic door like 17 radar guns are on me. How can I get rid of this?

NOTE: Default settings = highway mode. I also live in Alabama, where the cops use K and Ka bands respectively. Haven't encountered laser at all. I have X band turned off hence the default settings.

hawkeye1680

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Personally, I’ve run my settings to optimize the performance. Ever since running the following settings, it runs so much better. I’m in Missouri, so the segmentation is maybe a little different for you...

• Advanced Mode
• K Band - 60%
• KA Band - 100%
• GPS - ON
• Speed Camera - ON
• Red Light Camera - ON
• RLC Quiet Ride - 60 mph
• Voice - OFF
• Ka Freq Voice - OFF
• X Band - OFF
• K Band - ON
• Ka Band - ON
• Laser - ON
• K POP- OFF
• MRCD - OFF
• Ka POP - OFF
• K Filter - ON
• Ka Filter - OFF
• TSF - OFF
• K Block - ON
• K Wide/Narrow - Narrow
• Ka Segmentation - 2,5,6,8
• Ka Priority
• Mute Memory - X & K
• All Threat Display - ON
• Color - Gray
• Quiet Ride - 30mph
• K tone - 5
• Ka tone - 3
• Bogey tone - 2
• Laser tone - 4
• All Mute On
• Dark mode - Dimmer
• GMT: -6 hour
• DST - ON

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Personally, I’ve run my settings to optimize the performance. Ever since running the following settings, it runs so much better. I’m in Missouri, so the segmentation is maybe a little different for you...

• Advanced Mode
• K Band - 60%
• KA Band - 100%
• GPS - ON
• Speed Camera - ON
• Red Light Camera - ON
• RLC Quiet Ride - 60 mph
• Voice - OFF
• Ka Freq Voice - OFF
• X Band - OFF
• K Band - ON
• Ka Band - ON
• Laser - ON
• K POP- OFF
• MRCD - OFF
• Ka POP - OFF
• K Filter - ON
• Ka Filter - OFF
• TSF - OFF
• K Block - ON
• K Wide/Narrow - Narrow
• Ka Segmentation - 2,5,6,8
• Ka Priority
• Mute Memory - X & K
• Color - Gray
• Quiet Ride - 30mph
• K tone - 5
• Ka tone - 3
• Bogey tone - 2
• Laser tone - 4
• All Mute On
• Dark mode - Dimmer
• DST - ON

Hey thanks! I will give those settings a shot and see what happens.

hawkeye1680

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey thanks! I will give those settings a shot and see what happens.

As soon as I set up the segmentation, I immediately noticed a performances enhancement. It was a bit jaw dropping how well it’s performed since running these settings. I set up my wife’s R1 (used to be mine) the same. Except for her’s, I’ve turned off K band since she doesn’t have GPS. We live in St. Louis, so a legit K band is rare. I come across it more because I ride a lot of back country roads on my motorcycle, and I’ve come across with some of the nearby counties and local towns.

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
As soon as I set up the segmentation, I immediately noticed a performances enhancement. It was a bit jaw dropping how well it’s performed since running these settings. I set up my wife’s R1 (used to be mine) the same. Except for her’s, I’ve turned off K band since she doesn’t have GPS. We live in St. Louis, so a legit K band is rare. I come across it more because I ride a lot of back country roads on my motorcycle, and I’ve come across with some of the nearby counties and local towns.

So if I go with the settings you provided above I should be good and see the performance enhanced?

hawkeye1680

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So if I go with the settings you provided above I should be good and see the performance enhanced?

If the segmentation is the same in Alabama that it is in Missouri, then yes. It’s not looking at the entire sweep of Ka band and only looking at what you tell it to. Faster response then.

And you’ll notice I don’t have any of the voices on. That’s just a personal preference. But any time you’re narrowing the frequencies it’s looking at, you’ll notice a bump in performance.

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If the segmentation is the same in Alabama that it is in Missouri, then yes. It’s not looking at the entire sweep of Ka band and only looking at what you tell it to. Faster response then.

And you’ll notice I don’t have any of the voices on. That’s just a personal preference. But any time you’re narrowing the frequencies it’s looking at, you’ll notice a bump in performance.

Ah ok, I think I understand. I will try it and see what happens. Oh I leave the voices on, but I might try it with them off now. I really just wanna cut down on the falses it gives when I am in the grocery store parking lot facing the electronic door.

hawkeye1680

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ah ok, I think I understand. I will try it and see what happens. Oh I leave the voices on, but I might try it with them off now. I really just wanna cut down on the falses it gives when I am in the grocery store parking lot facing the electronic door.

I just looked it up and Alabama is 2,5,6,8 on segmentation. So my settings will run well for you.

And if you’re wanting to cut out doors and general falses, be sure to Mute Memory those locations to ensure you don’t have a chatty detector.

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

I just looked it up and Alabama is 2,5,6,8 on segmentation. So my settings will run well for you.

And if you’re wanting to cut out doors and general falses, be sure to Mute Memory those locations to ensure you don’t have a chatty detector.

Awesome thanks man! Gonna give your settings a go whenever time allows and I remember. Oh yeah, I forgot out the GPS lock out feature for electric doors.

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
With my 2 R7s and 1 R3 I run them like this:
Firmware 1.53
Advanced Mode
• K Band - 40%
• KA Band - 100%
• GPS - ON
• Speed Camera - ON
• Red Light Camera - ON
• RLC Quiet Ride - 55 mph
• Voice - ON
• Ka Freq Voice - ON
• X Band - OFF
• K Band - ON
• Ka Band - ON
• Laser - ON
• K POP- OFF
• MRCD - OFF
• Ka POP - OFF
• K Filter - ON
• Ka Filter - OFF
• TSF - ON
• K Block - ON
• K Wide/Narrow - Narrow
• Ka Segmentation - 2,4,5,6,8
• Ka Priority
• Mute Memory - X & K
• Color - Amber mostly
• Quiet Ride - 30mph
• K tone - 7
• Ka tone - 8
• Bogey tone - 2
• Laser tone - 9
• Auto Mute On
- Auto Mute Vol Level - 3
• Dark mode - Dimmer
• DST - ON

Then I use the quick toggle City, Adv, Hwy to adjust K sensitivity between 18, 40, 100% without entering menu, for when I enter different driving environment.

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
With my 2 R7s and 1 R3 I run them like this:
Firmware 1.53
Advanced Mode
• K Band - 40%
• KA Band - 100%
• GPS - ON
• Speed Camera - ON
• Red Light Camera - ON
• RLC Quiet Ride - 55 mph
• Voice - ON
• Ka Freq Voice - ON
• X Band - OFF
• K Band - ON
• Ka Band - ON
• Laser - ON
• K POP- OFF
• MRCD - OFF
• Ka POP - OFF
• K Filter - ON
• Ka Filter - OFF
• TSF - ON
• K Block - ON
• K Wide/Narrow - Narrow
• Ka Segmentation - 2,4,5,6,8
• Ka Priority
• Mute Memory - X & K
• Color - Amber mostly
• Quiet Ride - 30mph
• K tone - 7
• Ka tone - 8
• Bogey tone - 2
• Laser tone - 9
• Auto Mute On
- Auto Mute Vol Level - 3
• Dark mode - Dimmer
• DST - ON

Then I use the quick toggle City, Adv, Hwy to adjust K sensitivity between 18, 40, 100% without entering menu, for when I enter different driving environment.

Oh hmm ok wow, looks like I need to try your settings as well as Hawkeyes to see which one better benefits me in my area.

SR56

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score

Do you think these would run well in FL, too? Not really familiar with the segmentation. Just updated the firmware to R3_v153.214.115.db191002.

I haven't really touched it since the first time I updated it in 2017. Things have changed a lot!

StoneyJSG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It should work. I don't really know what segmentation is, but hawkeye1680 settings seem to make my R3 more quiet than what it was on the default settings (which it was pretty quiet then). I haven't tried DC Fluids settings yet to see if they're better or comparable.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karamany