New To R7..Advanced or City/Highway?

mikespe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just purchased an R7 and love it! I updated the firmware to 1.29 and set the Advanced section to Vortex's suggested settings with some minor tweaks I saw in one of his later videos. I went on a 2 hour round trip today and the detector seemed to work GREAT! I had very few false alarms and it detected all the Ka alerts with AT LEAST a mile's notice!!! I was really amazed by the distance the thing can detect an alert! My question is should I just run on Advanced mode with these settings or is it better to switch between City/Highway as needed? I was happy with the Advanced mode but wondered if I'd get better performance by using City/Highway modes as needed?

Thanks for the help!!

Saleen556

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I use advanced on both the R3 and R7 and have no complaints.

XSWG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I leave mine on highway mode, adjust the sensitivity of K and X band then deal with the false alerts. Still disappointing that the modes don't adapt based on speed like the Max360 series but still love my R7 and R3 in both cars.

mattguy10

Keep it under a hundred
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I just purchased an R7 and love it! I updated the firmware to 1.29 and set the Advanced section to Vortex's suggested settings with some minor tweaks I saw in one of his later videos. I went on a 2 hour round trip today and the detector seemed to work GREAT! I had very few false alarms and it detected all the Ka alerts with AT LEAST a mile's notice!!! I was really amazed by the distance the thing can detect an alert! My question is should I just run on Advanced mode with these settings or is it better to switch between City/Highway as needed? I was happy with the Advanced mode but wondered if I'd get better performance by using City/Highway modes as needed?

Thanks for the help!!
I would start on Highway mode and drive with the R7 for awhile to get a real good feel for the detector.

I stay away from City mode when it matters (when I’m really counting on my detector for a save) as it lowers K band sensitivity to below 20% and K band is still a major threat in my area as well as having to deal with curvy roads, so I want max sensitivity all the time. The case may be different for you, so City mode may come in more handy. Ka band remains at 100% sensitivity in City mode. City mode is actually great for times when you’re stuck in slow moving traffic or when you’re staying at or below the PSL. It will lower the amount of BSM false alerts and false alerts in general caused by automatic door openers for example. So use City mode wisely and always remember to switch back to Highway or Advanced when those modes are needed.

If you start noticing an abundance of false alerts in Highway to the point you’re becoming annoyed, that’s where Advanced mode comes in as well as using K Filter, K Block, TSF, and lowering your Rear Bal. setting. You can drop to 70% for K band and if you’re satisfied with range & false alert noise at that level, keep it there. If range is ok but false alerts are still annoying, drop to 60% and give that a shot.

You can look at Highway/City/Advanced as profiles. I think @DC Fluid and maybe others have suggested calling it this. Basically set up Advanced to your liking, then at the press and quick hold of the menu button, you can switch between those three modes (profiles) on the fly giving you different sensitivity levels for what your current driving style & driving conditions/surroundings require.

I leave mine on highway mode, adjust the sensitivity of K and X band then deal with the false alerts.
So you may be aware of this and I’m just misunderstanding what you’re saying, but you can only adjust band sensitivity levels while using the detector in Advanced mode. Highway mode means all bands are at 100% sensitivity. So in other words, running in Highway mode & adjusting sensitivity levels simultaneously is not possible.

XSWG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I would start on Highway mode and drive with the R7 for awhile to get a real good feel for the detector.

I stay away from City mode when it matters (when I’m really counting on my detector for a save) as it lowers K band sensitivity to below 20% and K band is still a major threat in my area as well as having to deal with curvy roads, so I want max sensitivity all the time. The case may be different for you, so City mode may come in more handy. Ka band remains at 100% sensitivity in City mode. City mode is actually great for times when you’re stuck in slow moving traffic or when you’re staying at or below the PSL. It will lower the amount of BSM false alerts and false alerts in general caused by automatic door openers for example. So use City mode wisely and always remember to switch back to Highway or Advanced when those modes are needed.

If you start noticing an abundance of false alerts in Highway to the point you’re becoming annoyed, that’s where Advanced mode comes in as well as using K Filter, K Block, TSF, and lowering your Rear Bal. setting. You can drop to 70% for K band and if you’re satisfied with range & false alert noise at that level, keep it there. If range is ok but false alerts are still annoying, drop to 60% and give that a shot.

You can look at Highway/City/Advanced as profiles. I think @DC Fluid and maybe others have suggested calling it this. Basically set up Advanced to your liking, then at the press and quick hold of the menu button, you can switch between those three modes (profiles) on the fly giving you different sensitivity levels for what your current driving style & driving conditions/surroundings require.

So you may be aware of this and I’m just misunderstanding what you’re saying, but you can only adjust band sensitivity levels while using the detector in Advanced mode. Highway mode means all bands are at 100% sensitivity. So in other words, running in Highway mode & adjusting sensitivity levels simultaneously is not possible.
Correct, I should have broken it up. I use highway mode. My recommendation was to use advanced mode, adjust the sensitivity and deal with the falses you'd get for BSM systems

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score

Thanks for the help!!
Generally, I'd say run Advanced if you don't see K band radar much. However, I run highway all the time, and still its pretty quiet. Sure you get some falses here and there, nothing auto-mute or Q-ride can't fix. If you don't see K band much or its rare, then run Advanced and turn down K band sensitivity whilst keeping KA at full.

I've had a R7 did the same thing, I own a R3 now. Always been 'balls to the wall' mode, I don't have issues with it. Something I do, is K band Voice Off, and Ka Voice on; as well.

DU5T3R

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
For my situation (driving style, location, terrain, etc.), I never take my R7 off of advanced mode. My settings are very close to Vortex's recommendations. LEOs mostly use Ka where I live, but I have seen some K. You should consider all of these factors when choosing your settings.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I think it comes down to your level of K band in your area. Here, we see K in the smaller towns but most of what I see is Ka. I run advanced with K at about 50%, X off, Ka at 100%. City would be much quieter for K but I dont want to remember to switch back and forth so I deal with whatever false I get in advanced so I'm ready for the times I encounter K. It comes down to what you want/need your balance to be and the balance is ratio of real vs false and how much you can tolerate. Some just turn K off and take their chances since its seen rarely so they can get the least amount of alerts. I won't do that.

mikespe

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for all your tips & advice. To be honest I'm not really sure what bands are in my area. I live in the Rochester, NY area so it's suburban and city. I haven't been downtown yet with my detector, but in all the other towns, using the Advanced mode set like Vortex's settings I've only gotten a couple K alerts...mostly stores...possibly some of the cars that cause alerts (I forgot what that was called?). I thought about turning up the sensitivity a bit to see if it stays quiet. I'm assuming you want it set right on the boarder of sensitive enough to catch all the real alerts but muted enough to prevent false alerts!

Thanks again!

mattguy10

Keep it under a hundred
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your tips & advice. To be honest I'm not really sure what bands are in my area. I live in the Rochester, NY area so it's suburban and city. I haven't been downtown yet with my detector, but in all the other towns, using the Advanced mode set like Vortex's settings I've only gotten a couple K alerts...mostly stores...possibly some of the cars that cause alerts (I forgot what that was called?). I thought about turning up the sensitivity a bit to see if it stays quiet. I'm assuming you want it set right on the boarder of sensitive enough to catch all the real alerts but muted enough to prevent false alerts!

Thanks again!
BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) false alerts.

gmm6797

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
... I live in the Rochester, NY area so it's suburban and city....
Me too, many BSM false all the time, as many towns and villages use K, so i am afraid to go below 60% on K.
I am in Greece, and that is all they use here, so I have to be careful on the mute memory settings too, as some get close.
I am no expert, but the R7 has saved me many times around the area and Ka has plenty of use on any of the 90s

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam101