The Legal Insight of the "Waze Craze"

TonyPHX

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The view of those "law enforcers" is fundamentally flawed. They keep forgetting that we have the right to free speech and can communicate with others what we see, where we see it, and when. And if they do not like it, tough for them. Whether it is this app or another, people want this.

ILS27L

Show Me State
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's hope Google will NOT cave to pressure. With the "defund the police" movement who knows what will happen. Of course if "defund the police" movement gains traction no cm's will be needed.....but we will have to watch out for the social workers. :)

TonyPHX

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Let's hope Google will NOT cave to pressure. With the "defund the police" movement who knows what will happen. Of course if "defund the police" movement gains traction no cm's will be needed.....but we will have to watch out for the social workers. :)
Lol! If a social worker wants to catch me, they will need more than their SMART car!

Google knows damn well that most users use it for the police alerts. If they remove it, they remove users. Remove users, and ad revenue goes away. I bet it stays. Other than the gung-ho buzz cut troopers, I think most normal people will agree that tickets are just another form of taxation.

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with safety. LEOs are just pissed that they can't hide from us anymore. I would not be surprised if Waze has played a role in the increase of unmarked and ghost cruisers. Now that they can't overtly hide from the public to generate revenue, they have to come up with more creative ways to hide in plain sight.

Beemerchef

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I forget what State it was but I was not aware that the Camaro [or other] parked on he side of the Freeway with the hood up was actually an undercover LEO!

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's why I have my auto update for Waze disabled a few updates ago. It works so no need to screw up whatever hidden changes they implement.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with safety. LEOs are just pissed that they can't hide from us anymore. I would not be surprised if Waze has played a role in the increase of unmarked and ghost cruisers. Now that they can't overtly hide from the public to generate revenue, they have to come up with more creative ways to hide in plain sight.
You hit the nail on the head there. In Australia, unmarked cars used to be unmarked Holden Commodores, identified by 3-4 antennas. They've changed this over the years, and now use utility pick ups, vans, sedans and wagons. Car brands I've seen are Holden, Ford, Kia, Volkswagen, Toyota, all unmarked, and the antennas have shrunk in size to be more stealthy. Some are down to the size of about a 3 inch rounded off cone shape sitting just in front of the side mirrors on some cars.

samq45

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Yes- Its called automated enforcement - and if they start defunding the police - more of it will be everywhere to continue collecting the tax revenue - Speed and redlight Cameras/Vans - Drones - and now the Cameras installed in Mass and being installed in NY have Average Speed ability - how long before they turn that feature on to get more revenue.

Last edited:

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I forget what State it was but I was not aware that the Camaro [or other] parked on he side of the Freeway with the hood up was actually an undercover LEO!
I have seen them on the side with the trunk lid up to hide the roof. When ready they just pull out and go, the trunk shuts itself.

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The endangering police argument is hilariously transparent. Want to find a cop? Wait outside the police station or local donut shop. Or better yet, pick up your phone and just call them. Waze isn't a very reliable tool given how frequently cops move around.

FastStevie

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Outer Podunk Mississippi (Gulfport Suburbs)
For LEO there is a difference between looking for somebody specific and anybody in general. The last thing I would ever want to do is notify the public that Uncle's high risk warrant squad has set up in a church parking lot waiting for others to join in versus running a radar trap out of the same parking lot. Being able to block high risk activities MIGHT be an acceptable compromise for me.
Post automatically merged:

Wait outside the police station or local donut shop.

Or any gas station or fast food joint.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@NorEaster18 , I think you're right about the small percentage of LEOs who are zealots about speed enforcement. Most of the cops I've gotten to know well hate writing tickets unless someone is just being completely stupid and needs a few. Younger cops are usually broke and they need that "special federally funded task force OT." When on that type of speed/seatbelt duty, they are not allowed to respond to any other calls other than officers being shot at. Yes, ponder that for a moment: If you're mom is home alone and someone is breaking the door down, the cops on the federally subsidized speed/seatbelt OT aren't allowed to respond. It's our crooked politicians who want unaccountable ways of collecting revenue.

Using Waze to locate police to attack seems ridiculously improbable and unhelpful to anyone trying. If someone wants to bushwhack the police they simply call in a burglary somewhere and then execute the officer when he arrives. This actually happened to an officer one of the LEOs in my family worked with. He's developing a new career as I type. He used to love the job but it just got to be too much exposure for not enough.

@samq45 , they tried that shit in TX. Voters voted otherwise. If they bring it back it better have some heavy armor plate.

Yippeekyaa

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes- Its called automated enforcement - and if they start defunding the police - more of it will be everywhere to continue collecting the tax revenue - Speed and redlight Cameras/Vans - Drones - and now the Cameras installed in Mass and being installed in NY have Average Speed ability - how long before they turn that feature on to get more revenue.
The most boring and ridiculous drive i have ever experienced was on the A1A motorway between Aberdeen and Edinburgh Scotland. Average speed cameras every few miles. Every car on the road was doing exactly the same speed. Except for the Reliant Robin i passed. First time seeing one of those death traps in person.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have seen them on the side with the trunk lid up to hide the roof. When ready they just pull out and go, the trunk shuts itself.
Thats actually ingenius !!!

Hat's off to the CAT they thought that one up.

🤓🤓🤓🤓

#[email protected]

😲😲😜😜

Benzr

dgc333

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I live south east of Boston Mass, I find Waze to be useless for anything but navigation and traffic. I keep trying it every few months or so for a week or two and have never had it tag a LEO that was there when i get there. The last time i used it there were two accidents on the way home from work that had traffic all balled. There was no notification on Waze for either.

When it comes to traffic the factory nav in my Mustang is every bit as good so there is little reason to use Waze.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

G37X Jockey

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The most boring and ridiculous drive i have ever experienced was on the A1A motorway between Aberdeen and Edinburgh Scotland. Average speed cameras every few miles. Every car on the road was doing exactly the same speed. Except for the Reliant Robin i passed. First time seeing one of those death traps in person.
Average speed cams in the U.K. have turned their motorways in boring, mind-numbing, soulless experiences to be avoided like the plague.

oldcelt

lurking in the tall grass
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Average speed cams in the U.K. have turned their motorways in boring, mind-numbing, soulless experiences to be avoided like the plague.
Just like most of their food

djg21

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thats actually ingenius !!!

Hat's off to the CAT they thought that one up.

#[email protected]

Benzr
It catches you off guard, because you don’t recognize the vehicle as a police car. I got nailed years back (in the pre-Waze days) coming over a rise by a LEO with his trunk opened. It confused me just long enough that I missed the opportunity to brake quickly enough so I could avoid getting stopped. I think a LEO I passed earlier noticed the RD (old V1) on my windshield and radioed ahead, I was headed to a bike race and my car had a rack loaded with multiple bicycles and I was pretty easy to spot. I’m pretty careful whenever I see cars stopped on the shoulder now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firecrafter