ferius

More arrows please
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

The way Highway Radar alerts you about upcoming threats was initially designed at the very beginning of the applications lifetime. At that time the application was very limited in terms of features, and my hands we quite tightened. As the application grew up, it gained a lot more capabilities helping with alerting, such as road graph, speed limits, tts, etc. All these improvements brought updates to how the app alerts; however, the general idea remains the same -- we have 5 threat levers (dots), and we have a beeper. The muting behavior hasn't changed since the very first version of the app.

I think as the app grew a lot, it is time to redesign all this from scratch. To do this, I want to ask your opinion, what would be an ideal alerting behavior for you. You may be either generic or specific, I appreciate any input. Also, please don't be concerned about any app's limitations, just describe your ideal scenario.

Let me be the first, to show what I'm expecting to see, check the spoiler.

• Police
    • For police on the same road I want a voice message 3-5 miles ahead - "Police reported in 4 miles 3 seconds ago on <street name>"
    • Another reminder voice alert ~0.5-1mi before the marker: "Approaching police, speed limit 60, confirmed 15 seconds ago on <street name>"
    • For police not on the same road I want a voice message 0.5-1 miles ahead
    • I want another voice message if a stale police alert gets confirmed: "Police in 2 miles on <street name> confirmed 5 seconds ago"
    • I want a beeper to start if I'm closer than 1 mile and I'm going PSL+3 or PSL+5% -- whichever higher
      • I also want an option to temporarily bump beeper threshold for a given alert, say to PSL+10
      • The beeper volume should go down about 3-5s after it starts
      • I want to be able to disable beeper while not dismissing an alert completely (e.g. getting a reminder voice message)
    • I like how police markers are displayed on the map now -- can't come up to anything better
  • Aircraft
    • For every aircraft I want both an arrow and a map marker with trace to be displayed
    • I want every dangerous aircraft in 20mi radius to be displayed as an arrow, not necessary alerting audibly
    • As an aircraft approaches I want
      • To get a voice message with all the ID information
      • The map to zoom out to fit the trail of the aircraft
        • I want to be able to disable the map zoom out for a particular alert without dismissing the alert
    • Once the aircraft is getting close to the kills zone (where your car is <2000ft away and in the line of sight)
      • I want a beeper to kick in with the similar rules as I described for police
      • I want another voice message like "Aircraft approaching, speed limit 50"
    • I want to be able to quickly whitelist an aircraft to avoid getting any more alert on that one
  • Historical
    • I want a voice announcement when the risk score goes up fast
    • I also want a voice alerts about a mile ahead, when I'm approaching a "hot spot" on the heat map
  • Hazards
    • I want a voice message ~0.25-0.5 miles ahead
    • I want them to be displayed on the map as they are now
  • Speed cameras
    • I want a voice message ~0.5 miles ahead
    • I want a beeper if I'm PSL-1 or faster start ~0.25 miles ahead
  • RL cameras
    • I want a voice message only ~1000-2000ft ahead
Besides this I'd like the distances to be dependent on the current PSL -- e.g. I want reduce the police detection distance if the PSL is 25.

This is what I think about it; however, I'm absolutely sure, you may come up with some great ideas I couldn't even think about. Please share your thoughts and what kind of alerting you think as ideal. If you think the existing way of alerting is close to ideal, please let me know either.

Delaney

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Police
For police on the same road I want a voice message 3-5 miles ahead - "Police reported in 4 miles 3 seconds ago on <street name>"

Good.

Another reminder voice alert ~0.5-1mi before the marker: "Approaching police, speed limit 60, confirmed 15 seconds ago on <street name>"

I like 1 mile (1600m). At 0.5 miles (800m) you can be in the kill zone on wide open straight road.

For police not on the same road I want a voice message 0.5-1 miles ahead

Good.

I want another voice message if a stale police alert gets confirmed: "Police in 2 miles on <street name> confirmed 5 seconds ago"

Great idea.

I want a beeper to start if I'm closer than 1 mile and I'm going PSL+3 or PSL+5% -- whichever higher

Could this be customized? Because I know 99% of the time I’d set it to PSL+6 (10 Kph) and forget it.

I like how police markers are displayed on the map now -- can't come up to anything better

Good.

Aircraft
I don’t normally have this turned on as they’re not a threat for me unless I’m travelling so I’ll leave it to people who use it all the time to comment.

Historical
I want a voice announcement when the risk score goes up fast
I also want a voice alerts about a mile ahead, when I'm approaching a "hot spot" on the heat map

Sounds good.

Also please keep the adjustable Red, Yellow, Green, and violent circles. They’re great for a visual cue on the range to hot zones. If my wife is in the car, I generally run silent except for my RD and even that I have on lower vol.

Is there some way (perhaps with colour?) to indicate reports over 6 months old? This is partially for situational awareness and partially because I’m just curious how many new reports there are on the roads I travel. To be clear, due to the low volume of reporting here even the ones older than six months are still valuable information.

Can’t give enough love for your heat map! It has saved me a few times when I’ve been on unfamiliar roads and saw big hot spot ahead and eased off. Only to get to the hot spot and I find it was an unmarked trap (Waze usage is not a quarter of what it is in the U.S.), once it was laser

Hazards
I want a voice message ~0.25-0.5 miles ahead
I want them to be displayed on the map as they are now

Sounds good.

Speed cameras
I want a voice message ~0.5 miles ahead
I want a beeper if I'm PSL-1 or faster start ~0.25 miles ahead

Can the PSL-1 be customized? I ask because the speed cameras here don’t ticket unless you are going PSL+12 Kph (7.5 mph) and up. If I had it set to alert if I was going PSL+10 Kph (6 mph) or faster I’d be just fine.

RL cameras
I want a voice message only ~1000-2000ft ahead

Sounds good.

Besides this I'd like the distances to be dependent on the current PSL -- e.g. I want reduce the police detection distance if the PSL is 25.

Sounds good.

Last edited:

turbotaz

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I tried this app primarily to have Waze audio alerts while using Gogle Maps for Navigation through Android Auto. The car I am using - the phone is out of view in the glovebox and I do not see the display and I have no way to mute alrts. I would love audio alerts to be configurable at multiple defined intervals, e.g. 3 miles, 1 mile, .5 mile.

UnderCover

Beep...Beep...Beep Beep...Beeeeeeeeeep!
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm excited to see the outcome of the new layout!
So many improvements and always getting better and better!
Thanks for all your technical talent to make this app so awesome for our counter measure!
You're awesome!

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@ferius, when driving through areas without cellular service, a useful feature would be caching the report and automatically sending it when service resumes. This would allow heat maps in remote areas.

Smason

What is a PSL?
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm happy with HR in it's current format. Would like to see the voice commands improved!

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m pretty content with my current settings.
-I have my police alerts set to voice alert at 1.5 miles with the beeps at a threshold of 10 MPH over.
-Aircraft alerts set to “3-reduced”
-Map view set to 2 miles

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
For both air planes and ground LEO alerts have the red alert icon located @ screen lower left corner flash/blink for 3 to 5 sec to get my attention.
You are doing a great job with this!!! Thanks

Last edited:

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Dim the screen after a new alert and resume it when get close to police?

spanky

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
As a follow up to my above suggestion, Have the alert icon itself flash for a few sec, provide a ignore option for alerts, and a black screen during non alert periods showing maybe car speed and PSL only. Thanks

gra

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ferius, how about have a setting to dim or even close black bottom bar (with settings) after 5 or 10 seconds? And tap screen to have it back when needed...
When in landscape mode driving it takes a lot of screen space...

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckmanNZ