Perth's new 'smart freeway' new Radar units?

Mayuri Krab

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Was just reading about this on a Facebook revenue group about the smart freeway for a section on the Kwinana they are completing soon. This part of the article is of particular interest:

In an Australian first, 13 radar units normally used to catch speeding drivers will automatically detect crashes and breakdowns helping emergency crews clear the road quicker and get traffic moving again."

Are these the same type of radars used in the sneaky revenue cameras?

Revenue Cynic in me thinks variable speed limit + basically a speed camera every 1 km = $$$?

Thoughts?

Side note, putting a traffic light at some of the merge points to the Kwinana freeway = government approved 0 to 100km/h acceleration test ground? lol

G37X Jockey

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
A speed camera every km would make that freeway one to avoid.
As far as detecting breakdowns or accidents, I would imagine optical cameras would be needed to tell the difference between a routine traffic jam and traffic stopping for an accident.

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here's the pic ;

1594104725917_GT52QTJVP.1-0.jpg

As Jenoptik provides everything else, its probably the MRCT patch antenna under that grey dome. No sign of a flash unit or usual style MRCT cam that you get at the traffic lights

You'll get plenty of MRCT alerts along there now !

deanoobaby

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Was just reading about this on a Facebook revenue group about the smart freeway for a section on the Kwinana they are completing soon. This part of the article is of particular interest:

Are these the same type of radars used in the sneaky revenue cameras?

Revenue Cynic in me thinks variable speed limit + basically a speed camera every 1 km = $$$?

Thoughts?

Side note, putting a traffic light at some of the merge points to the Kwinana freeway = government approved 0 to 100km/h acceleration test ground? lol
my opiniong smart freeways become toll roads .And before leading up to them,, They will squeeze out as much information and revenue out of these over head gantries as possible .... updates /settings from an office otherwise they need to send a man up there every time hense smart freeway

WA has always been behind the 8 ball untill only a few year ago when they banned jammers number plate mods and now looking at banning radar detectors

going to be intresting though as perth drivers have a muscle memory of not keeping left driving in the correct lanes the best of times so this will be a at least a 5 or year plan maybe more

Last edited:

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Here's the pic ;

View attachment 153844

As Jenoptik provides everything else, its probably the MRCT patch antenna under that grey dome. No sign of a flash unit or usual style MRCT cam that you get at the traffic lights

You'll get plenty of MRCT alerts along there now !

I guess this means they can, and will eventually be used to issue speeding fines ;

winterbrew

Poliscan Hunter
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score

QF8

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not sure about that..

winterbrew