Please Make an IOS Version

OkieBob

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I know you do all of the work for free. The application is truly incredible. I believe the IOS guys would be willing to pay to get JBV1 on Apple. I would pay 40$ right now for the app.

riseboi

The Martian
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not at all likely to happen.

I intended to do an iOS version a while back, but I've since concluded that I can't commit the time required for a complex, niche app on a second platform that I don't use myself. Development alone would take many hundreds of hours, and then I'd have to maintain and support it. Every change, every fix, every new feature, all testing--double the time I spend now. I can't do it.

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Back in the day we converted some code from 8080 to 8086 and it was easy using the right software.
Does this work?
Looks like it’s been around for a few years.
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

Last edited:

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
^^^ what he said!
Also, If you search JBV1 ios, there are many discussions here, but mainly iOS does not support the overlays that allow for using JBV1 in the background which makes it useful to many.

OkieBob

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well I knew it had to be somewhere on here. Still learning to use the platform. I had read JB's response but hoping that cash would make someone want to pick it up. In the end it sounds like IOS wont support it anyway. Until then I can dream about it. Might buy an old google phone and try it that way.

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
many here get inexpensive android phones from walmart to give it a try. If lockouts are important to you, V1Driver is awesome! SEt it and forget it! JBV1 has tons of extra features, that I find most useful on road trips (where gps lockouts usually don't come into play). Recently I have been running the V1G2 without an app to see how it goes and it is quiet! Around town, V1Driver will kick in automatically and do its thing in the background!

Usually the spare android just sits in the car anyway, but I just havent bothered using it on a daily basis, since I can run waze on the iphone and don't need the extra JBV1 features for my commute.

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I knew it had to be somewhere on here. Still learning to use the platform. I had read JB's response but hoping that cash would make someone want to pick it up. In the end it sounds like IOS wont support it anyway. Until then I can dream about it. Might buy an old google phone and try it that way.
That is what I did. Just use my iPhone as my hot spot and it connects automatically most of the time. That being said looking back I would have not bought a 'version' android as I'm locked into using their services, which is expensive for just data as you have to get voice as well. Go with a phone you can drop any sim card into for a cheap data plan if you wish to later down the line.

OkieBob

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
The one I got has not service and I just use my actual phone as a hotspot. It works great. I just ordered a window mount because it is worthless without it. I tried it yesterday and the damn thing flew all over the car.

Alfabert

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Unfortunately but unsurprisingly, development for Android and iOS are two different worlds, at least for sufficiently sophisticated apps.

My friend who develops Android apps farms out the iOS rewrites. I don't believe you could pay him enough to do the iOS version himself, for various good reasons.

For iPhone users, the "obsolete" or inexpensive Android device is the way to go for JBV1.

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
With the amount of work that went into the Android version, an iOS version would be a huge undertaking and would be very limited compared to the Android version. There is such a huge disparity in re the platforms it literally would have to be programmed/designed from scratch. Then there's the Apple store and the ability to go through their bullsh!t.

I'm an iOS end user, but I get it.

Last edited:

dn325ci

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm a committed iOS user which I use 100% of the time to drive CarPlay, but I ran across an older Galaxy S7 that was no longer in use, and I stripped everything out of it and turned it into a dedicated JBV1 device. Got an iOttie vent mount from Amazon, and very happy with the setup. Battery on the S7 is good for 4 to 5 hours dedicated JBV1, so I don't have any other power cords running - I just take it in the house every few days for charging next to my iPhone.

InDecay

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm a committed iOS user which I use 100% of the time to drive CarPlay, but I ran across an older Galaxy S7 that was no longer in use, and I stripped everything out of it and turned it into a dedicated JBV1 device. Got an iOttie vent mount from Amazon, and very happy with the setup. Battery on the S7 is good for 4 to 5 hours dedicated JBV1, so I don't have any other power cords running - I just take it in the house every few days for charging next to my iPhone.
I previously used an S7. I bought the iOttie Qi magnetic mount to keep my JBV1 phone topped up and visible while still running my iPhone as my primary device. Something you may want to check out: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PV42CGH/?tag=rdf0cd0c-20 . I snagged it on sale for $30.

Hacker

Fat dumb & stupid is no way to go through life son
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??
I have an iPhone X I'm trying to "swap" with someone for a comparable Android device for just JBV1.

I'm using a cheep prepaid ATT Android, so it will have to do for now. LOL

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam101