2021 Ford Bronco

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty badass. It‘s about time some Competition came for the Wrangler. It‘s like Ford read all the Wrangler forums and tried to build somethin. :D Hopefully, it won’t leak.

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
Like you said. About time something against the wrangler.
This looks like an FJ cruiser on a diet. Or a redesigned jeep renegade.

Will succeed :
Only if it comes with a glove that doesn’t fit , and a Kardashian. Preferably a young, hot, female, Kardashian... not the mom or dad .... or Bruce (although he’s a Jenner)

Last edited:

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You can reserve one for only $100 down, refundable too!

Smirnoff

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My review: I thought the launch or youtube live "commercial" was actually lame, including the sheep or GOAT's. While referencing the speed of the Mustang, a V8 option is not available. . . . .

:violin:

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm so happy that Ford didn't use the Bronco name to cop out and make another family-hauling crossover (looking directly at you Chevy). This thing looks like it might be seriously capable.

I love that the manual is a 6-speed plus crawler gear. They know their audience. Maybe someday I'll have one :cool:

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score

Will succeed :
Only if it comes with a glove that doesn’t fit , and a Kardashian. Preferably a young, hot, female, Kardashian... not the mom or dad .... or Bruce (although he’s a Jenner)
Buys the Wildtrak version so you can get a good bounce through the whoops...... :D

Z06fan

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Will succeed :
And Ford has had some quality issues with product launches recently so here's hoping they learn from their previous mistakes and get this right at launch.

Token

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm so happy that Ford didn't use the Bronco name to cop out and make another family-hauling crossover (looking directly at you Chevy). This thing looks like it might be seriously capable.

I love that the manual is a 6-speed plus crawler gear. They know their audience. Maybe someday I'll have one :cool:
The problem is the motors. Yeah, I know, you can't make everyone happy, but look at the overall package and specifically the manual trans with crawl gear.

The Bronco base motor is the 2.3 L I4 EcoBoost. And that really is not a bad motor. Mature, all the bugs have been worked out, compact, 270 HP and 310 lb-ft. This is the only motor you can get the manual trans with. But as an EcoBoost motor it makes crap torque at low R's when you are not on the boost. For a crawl motor you want one with some low end grunt, a more traditional NA 4 or straight 6 might fit this application a bit better.

And the optional motor is the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost. It delivers 40 more HP, and 90 more lb-ft, but again another compact, light weight, motor with a proven history. I have two different work F-150's with this motor, and all I can say is the lag on both are horrible. They make decent power and torque once you get them to do something, but I can literally put my foot to the floor and count to 2 or 3 before anything happens. Not an optimal design for off road, in my opinion.

I wish the Bronco well, and I will be watching it...I may even consider one. But if they really want to sell me one they need to Raptorize it. Beef it up, maybe lift it just a bit, widen the axles to get even more (than the already very good) travel, step up the suspension even more than it already is, and put some more ponies under the hood. And since they have already copyrighted the name "Raptor Bronco" that may not be such a far fetched request.

However, I am unlikely to consider a Bronco for at least 2'ish years. Not out of any concern that it might not be good, rather with concern about several other things coming out soon, and what they may force Ford to do. I love my 2018 Raptor, period. There is nothing wrong with it at all, I have been pleased with it since the day I got it. And while it makes plenty of power (450 HP and 510 lb-ft before I threw a tune at it, now north of 500 HP) it really is odd that it does not have the V8 sound, being a V6 EcoBoost. But, Ram is coming out with the TRX very soon, and Jeep is talking about putting a Hemi in the Gladiator. That will make two competitors to the Raptor, both making more power (one of them over 700 HP) and both having V-8's. The TRX, assuming Ram does what they are saying they will, will have out-Raptored the Raptor, and the Gladiator has a serious potential to do the same thing or at least compete with the Raptor.

Competition is great, and Ford will have to do something if they want the Raptor to stay the halo truck it has been. For a while now factory off-road trucks have been compared to the Raptor, that is about to change, assuming Ram does its work right on the TRX.

Ford has a 760 HP V-8 motor setting ready to go, the motor for the GT500. If that ends up in the next gen Raptor, as an option or however, that could be a mean machine.

But why all this Raptor talk in a Bronco thread? Because if Ford bumps the F-150 Raptor up to a V-8, even as an option, that leaves a gap they can fill. They can drop the 450 HP 3.5 EB V-6 currently in the Raptor into the Raptor Bronco, but because of the differences not scavenge sales of the F-150 Raptor.

Choices, choices, a ~700 HP Raptor F-150 aimed at defeating the TRX, or a ~450 HP Raptor Bronco standing alone....that would take me a minute to decide.

T!

Last edited:

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Ford used to know how to put a 5.0 in a Bronco. Today's 5.0 is a little different but still wonderful if too wide and ridiculously priced. I still have my Gen1 Lightning. Still love it.

I might buy a new F150 if they'd offer a 7.3 Godzilla option. Under the hood that motor looks small next to a Coyote. Got a friend with one in an F250 Tremor. Runs great with those 4.30 gears.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There is a roughly 500HP Wrangler in the works too. I have been looking forward the return of the Bronco but Jeep has it together right now. I didn't care for the Gladiator at launch but as I see more and more lifted with big tires they are growing on me. Next time I shop I will take a look at the Bronco but as I age more and more I want a fast car. Ha.

Holla

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The problem is the motors. Yeah, I know, you can't make everyone happy, but look at the overall package and specifically the manual trans with crawl gear.

The Bronco base motor is the 2.3 L I4 EcoBoost. And that really is not a bad motor. Mature, all the bugs have been worked out, compact, 270 HP and 310 lb-ft. This is the only motor you can get the manual trans with. But as an EcoBoost motor it makes crap torque at low R's when you are not on the boost. For a crawl motor you want one with some low end grunt, a more traditional NA 4 or straight 6 might fit this application a bit better.

And the optional motor is the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost. It delivers 40 more HP, and 90 more lb-ft, but again another compact, light weight, motor with a proven history. I have two different work F-150's with this motor, and all I can say is the lag on both are horrible. They make decent power and torque once you get them to do something, but I can literally put my foot to the floor and count to 2 or 3 before anything happens. Not an optimal design for off road, in my opinion.

I wish the Bronco well, and I will be watching it...I may even consider one. But if they really want to sell me one they need to Raptorize it. Beef it up, maybe lift it just a bit, widen the axles to get even more (than the already very good) travel, step up the suspension even more than it already is, and put some more ponies under the hood. And since they have already copyrighted the name "Raptor Bronco" that may not be such a far fetched request.

However, I am unlikely to consider a Bronco for at least 2'ish years. Not out of any concern that it might not be good, rather with concern about several other things coming out soon, and what they may force Ford to do. I love my 2018 Raptor, period. There is nothing wrong with it at all, I have been pleased with it since the day I got it. And while it makes plenty of power (450 HP and 510 lb-ft before I threw a tune at it, now north of 500 HP) it really is odd that it does not have the V8 sound, being a V6 EcoBoost. But, Ram is coming out with the TRX very soon, and Jeep is talking about putting a Hemi in the Gladiator. That will make two competitors to the Raptor, both making more power (one of them over 700 HP) and both having V-8's. The TRX, assuming Ram does what they are saying they will, will have out-Raptored the Raptor, and the Gladiator has a serious potential to do the same thing or at least compete with the Raptor.

Competition is great, and Ford will have to do something if they want the Raptor to stay the halo truck it has been. For a while now factory off-road trucks have been compared to the Raptor, that is about to change, assuming Ram does its work right on the TRX.

Ford has a 760 HP V-8 motor setting ready to go, the motor for the GT500. If that ends up in the next gen Raptor, as an option or however, that could be a mean machine.

But why all this Raptor talk in a Bronco thread? Because if Ford bumps the F-150 Raptor up to a V-8, even as an option, that leaves a gap they can fill. They can drop the 450 HP 3.5 EB V-6 currently in the Raptor into the Raptor Bronco, but because of the differences not scavenge sales of the F-150 Raptor.

Choices, choices, a ~700 HP Raptor F-150 aimed at defeating the TRX, or a ~450 HP Raptor Bronco standing alone....that would take me a minute to decide.

T!
Curious as to what tune you went with in the Raptor?

Buz

Old School Member
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The problem is the motors....
Agreed. The Bronco needs a n/a V8 option. I too have the 2.7 V6 EcoBoost in my F150. While it definitely has major PULL power when properly coaxed, it's a choppy motor when driven slowly or under light acceleration. I really miss the smooth pull of a V8 through the entire rpm range. Even at the expense of not being as torquey down low as a twin-turbo/direct inject engine.

Jag42

USA TMG a-15 Dealer - PM me
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Manufacturer
Reaction score
You ecoboost guys need to remove the lag and turbo lag, with a electronic throttle controller such as a pedal commander, or something similar. I installed a roarpedal in my Focus ST, I have full throttle control not restricted.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You ecoboost guys need to remove the lag and turbo lag, with a electronic throttle controller such as a pedal commander, or something similar. I installed a roarpedal in my Focus ST, I have full throttle control not restricted.
I've nearly completely eliminated any lag from my 78/76mm turbo by connecting it to a 6.0L V8. I suggest the same for the Bronco. LOL

robbyb413

I thought there would be beer
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting vehicle.

I think the only truly negative thing I'd say about it is that it would be improved if it had a SFA. Their whole explanation for their thought process there is bunk:

"According to Gavin McGee, a vehicle dynamics engineer for the Bronco, Ford considered a solid front axle. But beyond the fact that the increased unsprung weight tends to make for an uncomfortable ride, there were other dynamic concerns. A big one is wheel control, which suffers on a live-axle vehicle. Because both wheels are tied together, a bump on one side affects the other. That creates a wobbly ride, especially at speed, as the suspension can't keep up with cascading impacts. On high-speed washboard surfaces or desert conditions, independent suspension allows for greater control.

Perhaps more importantly, independent front suspension allows for more precise, responsive steering. Solid-axle vehicles mostly use recirculating ball steering systems, an ancient design. Independent suspension allows for more modern steering systems, which should help give the Bronco better high speed behavior than the Wrangler, and more precise steering feedback at all speeds."

The launch video and materials are all about how this thing was built to be king of the class in terms of ground clearance, break over, approach/departure, the talk about the F/R lockers and the crawl modes, etc would make it sound like you're making an off road vehicle, but then here they're acting as if the target buyer is going to be expecting ST-team like dynamics? Chrysler sells a ton of Wranglers and nobody is coming back with complaints driving and handling dynamics because it's a brick with a tent on the back, standing on stilts, and it handles exactly like that should handle. Which honestly isn't that bad considering. Ford should have gone SFA but chickened out, and so the above reads like them just trying to backfill a justification.

There's so much to love though... they put a ton of time into the tops (although, hard top only on the 2dr seems silly), you can get it with a manual transmission, and in general it's like they looked at a lot of the mods and changes people make to Jeeps and just did it all out of the box. I mean no more buying mirror mover brackets on day one? That's just considerate right there, Ford. And that gets us to perhaps one of their most interesting considerations of all...

If you want a Jeep from the factory that gives you the majority of what you're going to want to do to it to offroad, and has modular/removable parts for offroading you have to pay out the nose for a Rubicon. Kinda silly because then you've got all these off road bells and whistles, but it cost a bunch of money, and now you're going to go mess it up on a trail? I've been on trail rides with guys who cover their Rubicon in painters tape, and companies make all sorts of wraps now for them to protect them on the trail because they cost so much. It's gotten quite silly but I understand - these guys are paying $50k and that makes the trail pinstripes painful, and it's not as easy to hose out as older Jeeps.

Not to mention you still need to tweak the Rubicon for your specific needs so you're putting money on top of that huge price of admission.

Ford on the other hand puts the the features that line up with the Rubicon's additions in the "sasquatch" package, and you can get them even on the base model for $29,995. I don't see the pricing for that package yet, unless something has changed, but that's pretty awesome that you can apply that across the entire range. It's going to be a lot easier to shrug off a little trail rash when you pay a lot less.

GotWake

Speed Kills
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a Jeep, but every time I go to an island and rent one, they aren’t that great. Reading the Jeep forums, they still have issues with death wobble, leaking tops. One I rented in Aruba had 50 miles on it. We had a storm come through and it leaked like it had a half inch hole in the top.

As far as the IFS. It looks like Ford did it right. They usually have less travel, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem with it having 17% more travel than a Wrangler. I bet the Bronco is going to be a great everyday driver.

I wish they had put the 3.5 raptor engine in it. That would have been nice.
Post automatically merged:

Too soon?

26F2CD92-8215-4315-80C9-9C8697D9B0FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fc1kitchen