How Hot a V1 Gets in a Parked Car

barry

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I did some quick thermals of the V1G2 after 1.5 hrs of driving, climate set to 69 interior, 92 degrees outside, detector mounted along the roofline. With error accounted for, it probably gets to about 100 degrees at the hottest points In favorable conditions.

Nice thermal images @alee. I assume your Tesla has some sort of active cooling that comes on when interior temps get too high when parked. Have you noticed how hot the V1G2 gets under those conditions?

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nice thermal images @alee. I assume your Tesla has some sort of active cooling that comes on when interior temps get too high when parked. Have you noticed how hot the V1G2 gets under those conditions?
I think it won't let the car interior get above 110 when cable overheat protection is enabled. I haven't done a thermal of the detector in the sun baking, but suffice it to say, a black metal detector on a windshield is very very hot, so I don't doubt it would match your numbers.

I guess I don't really understand why people are grabbing their detectors. The only time I've ever touched the detector is to remove it. If I remove it, it's inevitably after a drive to secure it in my bag to take with me, and 15 min of driving with the AC is more than enough to normalize the case temps so it's not too hot to touch. I've only ever grabbed a warm detector.

If I leave it in the car and come back a few hours later, I would probably never touch it to begin with - it would just come on when the car comes on.

Last edited:

F15

No radar/lidar tickets, 25+ years
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
All my windows, including the windshield, have tint, but I also use a sunshade in the windshield. Do others not utilize like tools in places holding on to triple digit heat?

steve042

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I measured mine yesterday. Mustang, black vert top up, sitting overnight in driveway with windshield facing the sun. This was around 11:00 AM and outside temperature of 84 degrees. With my trusty Harbor Freight infrared toy I measured 166 Deg F on the case. V1G2 is mounted above the mirror and behind the factory tint with those rubber dots. The unit powered right up fine.

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I get the impression that some people are VERY sensitive about any criticism toward their favorite RD. And quickly dismiss concerns or issues brought up as the fault of the messenger. I've explained at length, but since a few people keep missing the point, I'll try to explain again.

As detailed in previous posts, I went to a Panera Bread were I could intentionally sit by the window with a full view of my car, and not worry about someone breaking into it. I wasn't going to leave the V2 baking in full sunlight while doing an 8 hour work shift. I ate lunch and in a couple hours get back on the road.

The V2 was powered off, but still plugged in. Yes, I know about window tint, LMAO. Never the less, the car was hot when I retuned, even with the tint. So I wanted to check the V2 because it was brand new, and it was much hotter than expected. To be clear, I was not going to "handle" it, LMAO.

So, I wanted to let others know what I experienced. That leaving the V2 in a parked car, in direct sunlight, even for a little while is not cool. Not only because it became a potential burn hazard, but when electronics overheat, it WILL shorten their life and probably degrade their performance.

Did it power up and run? Did it eventually cool back down? Is it best to remove any electronics from an unattended vehicle, even if it's just going to be a little while? Are some V2 owners super-sensitive about any criticism? LMAO

barry

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I get the impression that some people are VERY sensitive about any criticism toward their favorite RD. And quickly dismiss concerns or issues brought up as the fault of the messenger. I've explained at length, but since a few people keep missing the point, I'll try to explain again.

As detailed in previous posts, I went to a Panera Bread were I could intentionally sit by the window with a full view of my car, and not worry about someone breaking into it. I wasn't going to leave the V2 baking in full sunlight while doing an 8 hour work shift. I ate lunch and in a couple hours get back on the road.

The V2 was powered off, but still plugged in. Yes, I know about window tint, LMAO. Never the less, the car was hot when I retuned, even with the tint. So I wanted to check the V2 because it was brand new, and it was much hotter than expected. To be clear, I was not going to "handle" it, LMAO.

So, I wanted to let others know what I experienced. That leaving the V2 in a parked car, in direct sunlight, even for a little while is not cool. Not only because it became a potential burn hazard, but when electronics overheat, it WILL shorten their life and probably degrade their performance.

Did it power up and run? Did it eventually cool back down? Is it best to remove any electronics from an unattended vehicle, even if it's just going to be a little while? Are some V2 owners super-sensitive about any criticism? LMAO

True2020Vision,
I didn't notice you had even said anything in your post that someone would consider a criticism toward the V1. Whatever the case, I agree the safest approach is to follow your recommendation and not leave a V1 "baking in full sunlight" for any extended time period. Of course, additional window tint or a sun screen will probably reduce temperatures to within the operational temperature range. Even some of us without extra window tint may get away with leaving a V1 installed with no ill effects.

The V1 Owner's Manual list the storage temperature range as -22F to 185F and the operating range as -4F to 158F. During my test the V1 reached 175F. Powering up the unit would have put it above its specified max operating temp. Would it still have worked? Beats me, I didn't try it. Anyhow, I almost always take mine off the windshield so it doesn't get too hot and so I don't tempt someone to do a "smash and grab".

One quick note, there's a parameter called the "hot touch temperature" that's essentially the highest temperature an item can be for someone to be able to touch and hold onto it. This parameter varies with the material, with metals having a lower touch temperature than plastics. If you are able to hold onto a hot V1, it's not significantly over 120F.

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
@True2020Vision I agree with the first part about people here. Ran into it myself. That said, my viewpoint on this, as I said before and I hope you didn’t think I was defending the V1 too much, is that if my first gen V1 has survived in these conditions for all these years, I expect the gen 2 to as well and if it doesn’t, then I’ve got an issue with that. So, outside of the faceplate coming off or another unforeseen issue, I think you shouldn’t have to baby it to have it keep working... at least you shouldn’t have to based on past iterations of this detector. If however Valentine took a step backwards in that quality and it’s not got problems with environmental conditions like this, then that’s on them. But yeah, I know what you mean. My gen 1 was super hot the other day when I left my car in the sun. I couldn’t keep my fingers on the bottom of the case for more than a couple of seconds at best, it was that hot. Started right up...

I will add that the top of the case wasn’t as hot if I stick my finger between it and the visor, since I use a vizor mount. The upper sides of the case was also not as hot, so the case clearly absorbs and dissipates heat quickly and is a good conductor it seems as it’s the radiant rising heat that’s heating it up and not direct sunlight in my case.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

I get the impression that you are under the impression that there aren't people here with 30-50 years of radar detector experience. Some of our members have doctorates in their various fields, are actual engineers, etc.

We all recognize the approach that starts with, "People are very sensitive about any criticism..." and it doesn't serve you well here. It's a standard "troll" approach and you are losing viewers of your posts each time you say it. Eventually, everyone will be ignoring you.

This isn't about anyone's favorite brand, It's about disagreeing with what seem like they might be wild claims and weeding out the truth within.

Do you still maintain that a Gen2 (or Gen1) will heat up and possibly burn your hand just by being plugged in but turned off? This concept has been discussed with VR; data has been provided by VR as well as others, and power consumption/waste heat has been tested by two people here as well as many others that have anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

Make the same claim of another brand and those that are familiar with that brand will take it into consideration, test it, prove it wrong, provide data, and so on.
All of us are saying that it's not possible and have taken time to provide actual data, only you are (or were) saying it is true.

As a new RDF member you are annoyed with people because they don't take your word for it??? We have approached you with openness, but that doesn't mean that you have any clout here unless you can provide data.

1000fc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
If touching the RD after its been in the sun all day burns your hand, you need to get in the kitchen and start cooking on the stove top to get your hands used to being around hot temps.

I've left the RD baking in direct sun all day, and can walkout and grab it right now without burning myself, and I have super sensitive skin on my hands.

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
True2020Vision,
I didn't notice you had even said anything in your post that someone would consider a criticism toward the V1. Whatever the case, I agree the safest approach is to follow your recommendation and not leave a V1 "baking in full sunlight" for any extended time period. Of course ...

LOL, exactly. Thanks for pointing that out to those overly sensenitive few. Nor did I say anything about holding the V2 in my hand while driving. LMAO

And thanks for posting this thread. Again, I wanted to validate your findings with my experience. Keep up the excellent work.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You must have asbestos hands, I can't do that. My wife grabs hot dishes and cups etc that I can't hold for more than a few seconds.
I told her when we met that I'm a sensitive guy.

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
OMG

Barry, nice job documenting this issue. But please be careful because if you come any closer to accusing the V2 of being anything less than perfect, the VR-Cult may just threaten to ignore you too!

LMAO, wish they wouldn't make promises they can't keep. No need for them to say goodbye, just leave.

Last edited:

barry

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
OMG

Barry, nice job documenting this issue. But please be careful because if you come any closer to accusing the V2 of being anything less than perfect, the VR-Cult may just threaten to ignore you too!

LMAO, wish they wouldn't make promises they can't keep. No need for them to say goodbye, just leave.

Thanks for the nice comment True2020Vision. Of course, my testing wasn't meant to imply anything was amiss with the V1. The test was simply meant to see how hot the detector could get in a closed car when the V1 was in direct sunlight. Please note, the power lead wasn't even connected. All heating was due to the sunlight and the hot car interior. The answer I got was 175F, which is pretty hot.

By the way, if I did the same test with a black-painted chunk of metal I expect I would see similar results.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
But please be careful because if you come any closer to accusing the V2 of being anything less than perfect, the VR-Cult may just threaten to ignore you too!

Barry is in no danger of being ignored. Don't be silly.

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I must've missed the criticism of the V1 and whatever pushback came with it. I grabbed mine out of the center console in the middle of a hundred degree day and it was certainly hard to hold. I held it very loosely to bring it in. Usually I'm only grabbing it to put it on the windshield or take it down. Yes, it comes out of the console hot.

This thread shows why all my cars are white or silver. I'd like to see a repeat with a black or dark blue vehicle. Further, 91 degrees is just Spring weather for some of us. @barry took the time to check his test equipment using a great protocol. We do the same with ours but only annually.

Some genius decided that everyone loves black interiors. Maybe someone can explain that to me. That's all that was available from Toyota on both of my cars in their specific trims. It certainly drives the temp up. I have never experienced a heat related failure of electronics in a car but then I usually don't leave anything in direct sunlight.

Thank you @barry for testing.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

alee

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
Of course we should question your agenda... because no matter how much you think it's catastrophic that things get to 175 degrees, the bottom line is detectors can run hot. And all detectors get hot in the sun. You can't beat physics... but you can design something to tolerate adverse conditions.

Here's my 2 cents on this specific topic: https://www.rdforum.org/threads/101026/page-5#post-1463729

Looking back at other threads, there are plenty of non-V1 conversations that basically say, it's the nature of the beast, and if you think it's probably too hot to leave in the car, just take it off your windshield.

Nobody is touching a cold detector that sits in the sun. As far as I know, none made in recent memory rely on any sort of active cooling. They don't have fans. They're all passive radiating metal surfaces, or plastic with heat sinks and passive cooling vents.

Cars get hot in the sun, so everything else in the car gets hot too. Welcome to thermodynamics.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karamany