Yes or No: Placing RD Behind Windshield Frit?

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Liberal California - Home of the Snowflakes
Is it recommended to place your RD directly behind the windshield frit (black dots on glass) or will it hinder it’s detection capabilities and/or range?

Also I’ve noticed that the frit retain more heat than the regular glass portion of the front windshield. Is this normal?

0F24F343-5902-428F-A572-58D1B80C447C.jpeg

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
In front of you but behind a Rabbit - Hot'Lanta,GA
Yes to more heat for probably two reason, its black so it is a better collector of heat and two surface area, BUT this heat should most likely not affect the RD.

Next, mount away as long as you are not using a suction cup mount (they don't stay well on Frit areas). The Frits are RF transparent. One only has to worry about the few vehicles that put metal film in or on glass as this will attenuate RF signals.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads on this as I recall and because there are specific details to be looked into with certain windshields, it might be worth doing a search and reading those longer threads rather than hope everyone posts the same info here again.
Quick questions and quick answers can't cover every situation.

Some windshields will cause reception problems and suction cups can work on frits just fine depending on the windshield.

Last edited:

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Radar detection: no significant difference.
Lidar detection: likely some difference.
What he said...
Yes : If the frits are Not Metallic
No : If the frits Are Metallic

Posted from my SM-J337P using the RDF Mobile App!

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've done it since 2012 with no adverse effects. It may actually reduce laser falsing, but that's anecdotal only.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
As to Laser, it doesn't matter one bit IE Laser detection in an RD (RADAR DETECTOR) is almost next to useless and mounting that high just makes it MORE useless! YMMV but if it help you sleep better at night with the false believe that you Actually have Lidar Protection, then to each his own . . . . . .

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I didn't refer to laser protection, I was talking about less falsing. Which seems to be the case. But I can't be sure because our last three cars have all had frits, and I used to get more falsing in previous cars.

Transporter

ModWight Transporter
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't refer to laser protection, I was talking about less falsing. Which seems to be the case. But I can't be sure because our last three cars have all had frits, and I used to get more falsing in previous cars.

Sorry didn't mean to make it seem like I was replying directly to your post. My point was and still is that depending on an RD for Lidar Protection is foolhardy and one should maximize their RD install for Police Radar Detection only with not the least bit concern about how it will affect Laser detection.

bluehemi

oh 👃
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mine works fine behind the frits, this is on my Toyota as my magnum has no frits and has the blendmount in it.
IMG_20200709_185358.jpg

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeKitten