V1G2 beat R3

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Driving home following my wife who was running the R3 (v1.37) my V1G2 picked up 34.7 a fair bit before her R3. We were on the phone and the G2 alerted, but hers was silent for a bit. Given she was in front of me and the delay I was a bit surprised at the difference. Both of us have SUV's and run them up high.

That being said I was in her car the other day and received an 'average' 35.5 detection, which had me wondering if was really performing as it should be. I have my 'old' R3 that I might bring out and run a quick test with the ATR in the next few days if I have time.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I would expect the V1G2 to be the higher performer but what was the range on the R3 in this instance?

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Driving home following my wife who was running the R3 (v1.37) my V1G2 picked up 34.7 a fair bit before her R3. We were on the phone and the G2 alerted, but hers was silent for a bit. Given she was in front of me and the delay I was a bit surprised at the difference. Both of us have SUV's and run them up high.

That being said I was in her car the other day and received an 'average' 35.5 detection, which had me wondering if was really performing as it should be. I have my 'old' R3 that I might bring out and run a quick test with the ATR in the next few days if I have time.
I have 5 hot R1's and my V1G2 has done the same to them, one at a time! The R1's are just as good as ever, the V1G2 is simply that much better. The biggest difference I see between them is off axis. I consider the R1's, 3's, and 7's to be fantastic against off axis, but not compared to the V1G2! @VariableWave 's R3 and R7 also got spanked by his V1G2 as well as mine.

Last edited:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This isn't helping my want for a V1G2...Especially with my impending Theia purchase...
This won't help it either! It is also an animal against laser, although I know it really doesn't matter, at our testing this weekend in Pa., my V1G2 alerted right along with my TMG's both on front and rear shots. It didn't miss even one, sometimes even ahead of my TMG quads!

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
Glad you love The V1G2

personally the r7 (to me ) was always ahead of the r1/r3 (34.7)
a more fair comparison is the V1G2 and r7 .(they both did great for me , 34.7 )
but yes naturally I think and would expect the V1G2 to be better than the r1/r3

This is interesting in that you could actually “measure” between cars and same source.

Last edited:

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
So.... both would have been a save?
I’m interested to see the cross check with the other R3.
yes but there’s quite some distance difference between the two (in favor of V1G2)
When traveling fast the sooner the alert , the better, and the difference can be between slowing down enough and not enough=disco time

some of us drop anchor quickly. Others Wait a bit for some ramp up.

Last edited:

NorEaster18

Maximum Efficiency
Advanced User
Reaction score
This won't help it either! It is also an animal against laser, although I know it really doesn't matter, at our testing this weekend in Pa., my V1G2 alerted right along with my TMG's both on front and rear shots. It didn't miss even one, sometimes even ahead of my TMG quads!
Honestly, I haven't had laser turned on with my R3 since purchase. I have my ALP for that! But it certainly would be interesting to see for situational awareness purposes! My R3 sure is spotty when I turn on laser during testing with my ALP! I shot my car 5 times each yesterday with my LR B and my PL3 and the R3 only alerted twice! Laser stays off 😅

332EMDG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My R3 has seen 8.4 mile saves! R1/3/7 will save your ass!
Hi 87GN. Forgive my ignorance here as a noob, I mean no disrespect. Please allow me to just simply ask, is an 8.4 mile detection really a"save"?

This sounds strange to me. Let's pretend any brand detector (present or future) get's this across the country, and from more than one direction / source. Is this really likely, probably not, but I guess my point is, are you really benefiting from this type of detection range that far away?

My point is, at some point, enough is enough with the range. You don't need more than even a mile or two at best (I think). If you can't react in the same time frame that laser jamming requires one to slow down, to then allow a speed reading on the laser gun so as to not draw attention, what's the point of any further long range detection?

Disclaimer, I am not for sure what the maximum effective "kill zone" is for any of the best radar guns. I have read some information about optimal distances with laser, but I am unaware of that which pertains to radar.....

In my scenario above, if I do get a detector with that kind of consistent alert distances, I would rather attenuate so as to have a more realistic experience, one that is closer to the actual source and which allows more than adequate time to react. Just my .02 thoughts.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
8.4 mile detections are likely very rare and require certain road conditions to be in place. I don't think 87GN is suggesting that every detection is near that distance. :)

1-s2.0-S221509861400010X-gr2.jpg

If the above image was a road and the LEO was at the right hilltop (Tx) and you were at the left hilltop (Rx) there is room in the valley for the fresnel zone to expand (d) properly. This can lead to some really long detections, whereas a totally flat road with both the transmitter and reciever at 4 feet high will have more trouble than this situation.
Add in that some guns seem to be really hot and those flatter sparse areas of the nation can get some really good distances more often. :)

Last edited:

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I will pull the dash cam video tonight and get some numbers on the difference.

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi 87GN. Forgive my ignorance here as a noob, I mean no disrespect. Please allow me to just simply ask, is an 8.4 mile detection really a"save"?

This sounds strange to me. Let's pretend any brand detector (present or future) get's this across the country, and from more than one direction / source. Is this really likely, probably not, but I guess my point is, are you really benefiting from this type of detection range that far away?

My point is, at some point, enough is enough with the range. You don't need more than even a mile or two at best (I think). If you can't react in the same time frame that laser jamming requires one to slow down, to then allow a speed reading on the laser gun so as to not draw attention, what's the point of any further long range detection?

Disclaimer, I am not for sure what the maximum effective "kill zone" is for any of the best radar guns. I have read some information about optimal distances with laser, but I am unaware of that which pertains to radar.....

In my scenario above, if I do get a detector with that kind of consistent alert distances, I would rather attenuate so as to have a more realistic experience, one that is closer to the actual source and which allows more than adequate time to react. Just my .02 thoughts.
I tend to agree. But with that long range you get awesome off-axis, and that's what I really want.

PointerCone

M3 Kng
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I have 5 hot R1's and my V1G2 has done the same to them, one at a time! The R1's are just as good as ever, the V1G2 is simply that much better. The biggest difference I see between them is off axis. I consider the R1's, 3's, and 7's to be fantastic against off axis, but not compared to the V1G2! @VariableWave 's R3 and R7 also got spanked by his V1G2 as well as mine.
That seems to be the Gen 2 biggest advantage consensus, better off axis range.
Post automatically merged:

Yes, because that 8.4 mile detection could very well be a LEO moving at you with IO or a sitting unit doing IO. I'd call that a save in any book, particularly long range. We can't equate kill zone with save since the large majority of mid -upper end detectors will give you BOTH a save and a save before the kill zone. There's actually detectors that alert AFTER the beginning of the kill zone and we know who they are.

Last edited:

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
So in your opinion would the V1Gen2 have saved you against those laser alerts? Or would you have needed the jamming capability of the TMG's due to close proximity??

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
So in your opinion would the V1Gen2 have saved you against those laser alerts? Or would you have needed the jamming capability of the TMG's due to close proximity??
No! I would never rely on any radar detector to save me from laser, I just thought it was really good that it did alert to every shot! If someone has the V1G2 without jammers, it might be possible to pick up a scatter save but I'd never count on it! Always run jammers to defend against laser!

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree. But with that long range you get awesome off-axis, and that's what I really want.
That's what I was trying to explain to you before you got your V1G2! The off axis and quick whiffs of distant I/O come along with all of that range! A weak or average detector won't make it in my environment with all of this I/O 35.5 I see. My V1G1 just wasn't able to do it like my R1's and Redline-O's, and now my V1G2 has made me take them down as well!

Last edited:

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
G2 gave me a 35.5 hit today and I glanced at JBV1, observed and maintained good cover from unsuspecting motorists, maintained +27 for a quarter mile and got the switch to rear signal once again vindicated that it was off on one of the side roads. I call that area Laser Alley because there's so much of it. But they do run some radar too and it's a mix of all 3 Ka frequencies and I've even seen K once or twice but rarely. Love the G2.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeziggy