Squirrel's Thoughts on the G2

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
To get the detector on enough so that its COM is far enough forward to cause the whole thing to pivot forward on the cups and wedge itself into the windshield securely would mean sliding it so far forward on the mount that it would be pointing down.

That is something I've heard a few times. I wonder if we should be including windshield angle measurements when discussing these issues. :)

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
The best i can describe the issue is that the mounts two points of contact are not solid. It hands off of soft suction cups. To get the detector on enough so that its COM is far enough forward to cause the whole thing to pivot forward on the cups and wedge itself into the windshield securely would mean sliding it so far forward on the mount that it would be pointing down.
My problem was that It ran out of adjustment forward before it hit the windshield securely enough without being pointed up. That's why I ended up designing my 3D printable permanent mount for mine.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Administrator
ModSec
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
My problem was that It ran out of adjustment forward before it hit the windshield securely enough without being pointed up. That's why I ended up designing my 3D printable permanent mount for mine.
Yeah i wish the mount was a bit better thought out so its not so vehicle specific. Just tried it out in the hellcat and its much better.
If the mount had a third point of contact and some adjustment, that'd make it perfect.

Im not sure why the G1 was better than the G2 in my case.
I wonder if the center of mass changed significantly between the two.

I may commission you to modify your mount so it fits on my mirror-mount-holder-thing-that-isnt-actually-a-blendmount..... I know how much you love designing shit for me 😁

goblin

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Thanks !
My two questions:
- No MRCD/MRCT at all on this thing, right ? Is it useful to anyone in NYC ?
- It is good for Europe out of the box, right ? No dedicated overpriced Euro versions ?

ALS

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
My problem was that It ran out of adjustment forward before it hit the windshield securely enough without being pointed up.

That's the same problem I have with my G1 in my Prius. I have to put a thin piece of cardboard between the mount and the front of the detector to get it to be perfectly horizontal.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks !
My two questions:
- No MRCD/MRCT at all on this thing, right ? Is it useful to anyone in NYC ?
- It is good for Europe out of the box, right ? No dedicated overpriced Euro versions ?

1) I believe VR has that on their plate. (v4.1019 might already have something)
I might need more info from you about NYC's MRCD/MRCT use before offering existing suggestions. Do these devices move frequently?

2) I'd think so. There's only the one V1 to buy. It has USA and Euro modes.

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
1) I believe VR has that on their plate. (v4.1019 might already have something)
I might need more info from you about NYC's MRCD/MRCT use before offering existing suggestions. Do these devices move frequently?

2) I'd think so. There's only the one V1 to buy. It has USA and Euro modes.

I have easy access to MRCD/CT cameras in NYC. I don't think 4.1019 will address against those cameras but I can re-run the tests I did before with the 4.1018

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I read yesterday I believe that Cihkal reported some new behavior in that area. I never encounter MRCD/MRCT so I have to depend on you guys!

carls3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Nice review....And i also have great detection in my neck of the woods with curves and hills... But also wish it had frequency readout
Ive had zero issues with mounting level in my Vette and also no wobble/shake.... Only issue was mount coming off a suction cup when it gets heated up by the sun..
Ive had mine for about a month now...

Last edited:

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Glad to hear you guys enjoyed my thoughts on this! Guess I'll keep these styles coming :)

Nothing special. Used my phone (oneplus 7 pro)

Interesting... I can go try it out on one of the other cars but it was like this on both of my commuters.

The best i can describe the issue is that the mounts two points of contact are not solid. It hands off of soft suction cups. To get the detector on enough so that its COM is far enough forward to cause the whole thing to pivot forward on the cups and wedge itself into the windshield securely would mean sliding it so far forward on the mount that it would be pointing down.

I use a hakko fx-951

I did forget to mention that I have the same windshield as Mike V so perhaps that's why mine fits so nicely.

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
I was being gentle. It sees far worse when driven down the typical California roads.
Mine does not bounce. But to be level, I can’t snap the detector in its bracket slot. I have to back it out slightly from the snapping position- otherwise it points a little down on the hood.

RoadDogg

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
When I use my V1G2 in our Jeep Wrangler, I have to barely have the detector in the windshield mount due to the almost straight up angle of the windshield if I want to have the detector level. The front of the detector is back from the front of the windshield mount, but I don’t have any issues with it being stable or bouncing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jawfl

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks...Good review. I have not tried the windshield mount. I originally used the blendmount but now just have it mounted on my dash using a scosche mag mount and plugged into the 12V outlet. I may go back to the blendmount if I decide to hardwire the detector...removing & reinstalling the A-pillar trim cover is a pain in the a$$ on this car though! I often use a sunshield/visor when I park the car (MK VI GTI) so I prefer not to have the detector stuck to the windshield. So far, I have not had any complaints with the V1G2 (arrived 20 May, FW 4.1019) paired with V1 Driver.

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
I just experienced the “horrific” ramp-up of a point-blank instant-on shot, courtesy of the NC Highway Patrol. Was it the Battle of New Orleans 1814 where it was said, wait and fire when you see the whites of their eyes? This instant-on shot was musket range close, Ka 35.5. I’ve heard it (poor ramp up) talked about but it’s another thing to experience this. C/O is mostly what I encounter so this was a shocker- both the I/O shot and the G2’s poor alert. Yikes. Double-dog yikes! :catstare:

this was around a slight bend and hill (See pic) so my first reaction was - this was a poor shit- short C/O alert and my detector must not be working right. :) It started at around 2 bars I think for maybe 2-3 seconds and then went full-tilt.

anyway yea it’s bad and glad VR is aware, and this is on the list of things to be fixed.
6CF3F637-1115-48BF-9C39-8B72B7AEA7FA.png

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
So, was the pickup on it when he shot someone else and it blipped on you and then went silent until you got hit again and it was full strength? Or are you saying it was just you on the road and he hit you, it was low strength and then went full tilt on the same bogey warning without interruption?

Deadhead1971

Advanced User
Reaction score
So, was the pickup on it when he shot someone else and it blipped on you and then went silent until you got hit again and it was full strength? Or are you saying it was just you on the road and he hit you, it was low strength and then went full tilt on the same bogey warning without interruption?
Just me. The meter bar was low for a few seconds and then went high.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hklevi