Do you have speed recording on?

Do you have speed recording on?

• Total voters

JayyyR

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Greetings. Recently I got my dash cam setup running with a Viofo A119v3
front and testing out a rather unknown for the rear, the Ultradash C1.

But to my question, do you all let your cams also display your speed? I'm currently letting mine document my speed but have been thinking if something happens, even if not my fault could bite me if I'm over PSL? Or if 10 minutes before the incident I was well over PSL even if it had nothing to do with what happened later would it cause an issue?

Curious to see what you all think. I'm seriously considering disabling speed on my cams.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have speed shown. I'd rather hide it than show my guilt. If you ever need to get it you can always get it off the PC programs

Edit, I primarily do highway driving and it's well above the PSL. That is my main reason

Last edited:

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I always have speed indication enabled. You can always edit the video to remove it if it's an issue, but it's a lot more difficult to add it later if you want to prove you were going a certain speed. And remember, you don't have to provide the video at all. Whether you provide it or not is your prerogative.

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I always have speed indication enabled. You can always edit the video to remove it if it's an issue, but it's a lot more difficult to add it later if you want to prove you were going a certain speed. And remember, you don't have to provide the video at all. Whether you provide it or not is your prerogative.
Completely agree. This is how I see it.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree. I leave mine and edit it out if I’m
sharing it and not want it shown.

It’s your property. They just can’t demand it on the spot.

TeamQuack

s\/\/er\/e
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s been some discussion of this on the advanced levels. It depends on the legalities of your country. Some recommend to leave it off to protect yourself. I personally leave mine ON but I go back and forth.

Just thinking out loud, i cant think of a scenario where it would be beneficial? It seems like it could only be used in a negative manner...? Any thoughts?

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Advanced User
Reaction score
There’s been some discussion of this on the advanced levels. It depends on the legalities of your country. Some recommend to leave it off to protect yourself. I personally leave mine ON but I go back and forth.

Just thinking out loud, i cant think of a scenario where it would be beneficial? It seems like it could only be used in a negative manner...? Any thoughts?
First one that comes to mind : Cop says you were speeding but clocked the dude next to you instead (from far away) and just wants to write a ticket cuz he’s a LEO and having a bad day. Prove your innocence showing you weren’t speeding.
Or says you rolled a stop sign when you didn’t. (Dash would show 0mph)

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

1. Cop claims I was speeding, but it was a case of mistaken identity. He clocked another car that looks like mine. Video serves as proof that I wasn't actually speeding.

2. Cop tries to claim I was guilty of CVC 22348(b) (speed > 100 mph). To get the ticket dismissed, I should only have to prove that I wasn't going over 100 mph, since that's what I was written up for. Which could be the case if I actually maxed out at 95 (I'd expect some sort of scolding from the Judge in this type of scenario, but the Judge can only determine your guilt or innocence of the charges brought against you, and the officer is just a witness, and cannot file new charges).

DOCEX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have used Lukas cams front and rear for years and have always disabled GPS and Speed, most of us are over the PSL most of the time, why take the chance of your cam being used against you.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used Lukas cams front and rear for years and have always disabled GPS and Speed, most of us are over the PSL most of the time, why take the chance of your cam being used against you.
Again, there is ZERO chance of that happening unless you are an idiot. If you allow your own evidence to be used against you, you're doing it wrong (which by the way, you have the RIGHT to refuse to provide, under the 5th Amendment to the US Constitution). If you know that the evidence on the cam shows your guilt, then don't give the evidence to the court. If parts of it show that someone else was at fault, then edit the offending parts out before providing it to the court.

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have mine on, I can always perform a crop on the video in about 30 seconds to remove it if need be, but adding it on after the fact is much harder.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
What happens when you’re in an accident, hauled off to the hospital on a gurney, and an officer on scene conducting the on scene traffic accident investigation notices your dashcam? He sees it in plain sight in your vehicle. He could seize the dashcam and its contents, believing it contains evidence of a crime. You’d be unable to say “No.” at that moment to the officer, as you’re in the back of an ambulance, unable to speak.

DOCEX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It may be difficult to crop the video if you are in an ambulance on your way to the hospital, then who knows who will get their hands on your dash cam.

JayDog

Beginner User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No as 120+ MPH is common and I don't want evidence of that should something go bad.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
What happens when you’re in an accident, hauled off to the hospital on a gurney, and an officer on scene conducting the on scene traffic accident investigation notices your dashcam? He sees it in plain sight in your vehicle. He could seize the dashcam and its contents, believing it contains evidence of a crime. You’d be unable to say “No.” at that moment to the officer, as you’re in the back of an ambulance, unable to speak.
I'm sure we could come up with more than 1000 corner cases where this could hurt your case if we discuss this long enough. But the fact is, if you're being hauled away on a gurney, you have much more important things to worry about than what happened to your dashcam video. For most of us, the dashcam might show that we were speeding, but not evidence of actually driving recklessly. In that case, the worst thing that happens is you get a speeding ticket. But again, if you're being hauled off on a gurney, that's the least of your problems at that point.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm sure we could come up with more than 1000 corner cases where this could hurt your case if we discuss this long enough. But the fact is, if you're being hauled away on a gurney, you have much more important things to worry about than what happened to your dashcam video.
So the video is used in a case filed against you for vehiclular manslaughter as it turns out a person in the other vehicle ended up passing away.

I’d rather not track speed information. My point supports your statement. We don’t have control over when the information we collect will be taken from us and used against us, as we don’t have control over all scenarios.

Edward4

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Also there might be a situation where you are forced to provide the video as part of legal discovery. If you provided the video with the speed removed or otherwise altered it could be considered tampering. Not sure how likely this is, but possible.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
So the video is used in a case filed against you for vehiclular manslaughter as it turns out a person in the other vehicle ended up passing away.
Wouldn't you be in trouble regardless of what's on the video? The whole reason you're in trouble in this scenario is that your vehicle caused someone else to die. The speed you were going isn't really relevant at that point, it's more exactly what unfolded before the crash.

Note that a dashcam video, without the speed, can be used against you too, if it shows you driving recklessly or otherwise clearly at fault for a crash from which you got hauled away on a gurney and the cop found the camera in your vehicle, in plain sight. And if you're so concerned about that, you shouldn't have kept a running dashcam in your vehicle in the first place.

Furthermore, certain landmarks on the side of the road are clearly visible and it's not hard to reconstruct the speed from the time delta at which you passed the landmarks. The speed indication on the camera's GPS isn't really showing anything that isn't already on the video that a prosecutor wouldn't be able to figure out if he or she really wanted to.

I’d rather not track speed information. My point supports your statement. We don’t have control over when the information we collect will be taken from us and used against us, as we don’t have control over all scenarios.
There's a technological solution here. Have the cam encrypt the videos with your public key, and the videos can only be decrypted with your private key.

Also there might be a situation where you are forced to provide the video as part of legal discovery. If you provided the video with the speed removed or otherwise altered it could be considered tampering. Not sure how likely this is, but possible.
You could always refuse to provide it and plead the fifth.

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a technological solution here. Have the cam encrypt the videos with your public key, and the videos can only be decrypted with your private key.
I’m all for this. Do you know of any dashcams that do this? I don’t. It seems the only way to do this is to build your own DVR and USB camera system.

STS-134

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m all for this. Do you know of any dashcams that do this? I don’t. It seems the only way to do this is to build your own DVR and USB camera system.
I don't know of any commercial products that do this. It's rather unfortunate. IMHO, a far bigger concern is that your dashcam gets stolen off of your windshield while parked at a shopping center, and whoever stole it now likely has your home address, work address, and general times you are at each place.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lrhoneybadger