Viofo A129  Issues

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'll having terrible glare problems from lights on both cameras. The camera is on stock settings. This is not the 4k version.

I cleaned the heck out of my windows both inside and out. These light glares are making the videos useless.

I'm taking a picture of my monitor to just show the light issue. The actual quality is not that bad.

20200709_101217.jpg
20200709_111021.jpg
Screenshot_20200709-111324_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you try giving the lens itself a quick cleaning as well?

Maz3

Don't hate me just because I'm beautiful 🤣
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm running the circular UV filter on mine which help with glare. As an experiment put a pair of polarised sunglasses on front of the lens to see the difference.

It'll be darker of course, but check out the impact on the glare.

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
make sure the lens is clean and also make sure there is no little clear lens protection film on there from the factory.

Maz3

Beginner User
Reaction score
make sure the lens is clean and also make sure there is no little clear lens protection film on there from the factory.
Good one! It could be that simple.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I will double check everything and give both lenses a cleaning. The front lens has a CPL filter on it but the issue is there with it both on and off.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will double check everything and give both lenses a cleaning. The front lens has a CPL filter on it but the issue is there with it both on and off.
Did you rotate the CPL filter to block the glare? Pop the filter off the camera and look through it while turning it. At some point, the glare should be minimal. Rotate the filter in the frame so that it's in the proper orientation when attached to the camera.

Edit: Also make sure the protective film is removed off the camera lens, and both sides of the CPL. Usually people forget the film on the inside of the lens.

Maz3

Beginner User
Reaction score
Did you rotate the CPL filter to block the glare? Pop the filter off the camera and look through it while turning it. At some point, the glare should be minimal. Rotate the filter in the frame so that it's in the proper orientation when attached to the camera.

Edit: Also make sure the protective film is removed off the camera lens, and both sides of the CPL. Usually people forget the film on the inside of the lens.
OMG too funny!!!!!

I read your post and thought, "I don't remember a protective film on the backside of the CPL.

So I went and looked at mine, which I installed about 10 days ago...

Sure enough the protective plastic was still on the backside of my CPL :eek:

The picture quality is really good now, and I thought it was okay before!!! :woot:

Tag, I'm it!!!! :sotw:

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
OMG too funny!!!!!

I read your post and thought, "I don't remember a protective film on the backside of the CPL.

So I went and looked at mine, which I installed about 10 days ago...

Sure enough the protective plastic was still on the backside of my CPL :eek:

The picture quality is really good now, and I thought it was okay before!!! :woot:

Tag, I'm it!!!! :sotw:
😮😜

Now i need to check mine.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I cleaned both lenses and no luck. I'm going to send the cameras back. Some of the Amazon reviews are with people having the same issue and plus the wifi on it is almost useless.

Was hoping it could be fixed so I wouldn't have to remove the wiring and send it back.

Back to the drawing board. Smh

Maz3

Beginner User
Reaction score
I cleaned both lenses and no luck. I'm going to send the cameras back. Some of the Amazon reviews are with people having the same issue and plus the wifi on it is almost useless.

Was hoping it could be fixed so I wouldn't have to remove the wiring and send it back.

Back to the drawing board. Smh
Sorry to hear that. Royal pita plus never fun to have a new toy fail.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Ya it sucks and now I have to spend more $$ to get something that works better. Wasn't my plan to leave a $250 device on my windshield when I'm away. So I was trying to stay cheaper for that reason. I'll probably return this viofo a129 duo and get viofo a129 pro 4k.

It's looks to be better on YouTube videos and the night light glare issue is highly reduced.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Since the a129 pro is on back order. I put the a129 duo back into my car until I could get one. I been looking at more videos on the a129 pro version and now it doesn't look too much better than the a129 non pro I have now with new settings. I thinking about keeping the non pro till the next flagship comes out from them that hopefully offers better wifi and better night time quality. The a119 is what the a129 pro should look like with a rear camera imo.

In the mean time I changed the exposure settings on the cams and it looks decent enough to keep now. They send these cams with the exposure set to high destroying the video.

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The a129pro is on sale for $199 on Amazon. I'm returning my a129 duo now since it's a $30 difference instead of $80.

Mod edit at user's request: Note the $199 price is for the A129 Pro (single camera), not the A129 Pro Duo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
To my surprise there was a brand new a129 duo pro (neither cameras has ever been mounted, cords still wrapped from the factory, etc, but open box on eBay. Was $189 with a 30 day return. I'll snatch it up and see how it runs. If no problems then I got a great deal on the pro version.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adam101