An Unsettling First Drive with the R7

sctdg

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Intermittent issue ,the worst. When I was working I was in the forklift industry and every once in a while we would get an electric truck in the shop that would drive us crazy with electronic issues . Many times was a bad solder joint on a board and problem would come and go due to temperatures,ambient and otherwise. Hard as he'll to track down. This was before all the fancy test equipment came out, yes I'm an old man. Iol

mountaindrive

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
My Refurb R7 was exactly like the OP's it would be "too quiet" so I bought R1 just to check and sure enough, refurb R7 even in the Highway was quiet while R1 would go off legitimately. I really like the features of R7, just great RD and it was for a good price but I suspect that with refurbs, you are at 50/50. I will keep looking for a good R7 when R9 comes out, I am sure Uniden will drop the price for a brand R7s temporarily.

RadarScout

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My Refurb R7 was exactly like the OP's it would be "too quiet" so I bought R1 just to check and sure enough, refurb R7 even in the Highway was quiet while R1 would go off legitimately. I really like the features of R7, just great RD and it was for a good price but I suspect that with refurbs, you are at 50/50. I will keep looking for a good R7 when R9 comes out, I am sure Uniden will drop the price for a brand R7s temporarily.
I believe the R9 will be a remote detector. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The R7 can be found for $449 right now.

fishing66

Lord of the Pies
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score

mountaindrive

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I bought my factory-refurbed R7 at Woot for $350, felt for a while I lucked out until that "quiet" problem started to emerge. R1 was on sale at Sam's Club for $189 so currently, I am stuck with R1 and of course, R1 is no comparison to R3/R7. It is obnoxiously chatty even with Vortex's settings. GPS is a big value add for those folks who do not believe in GPS fencing. I did not believe in GPS until I tried R7. I think the problem with my R7 was predominantly with Ka detections. Other detections worked.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
Same here ... I think half the time, the techs can't figure out what was wrong with the item and just repackage it as-is.
Then THEY ARE TERRIBLE REFURB 'rs.

If i trust the Refurbers then I get AWEEESOOOME
PRODUCTS at Super Low Prices ... that have been gone over by sn actual human. Hands On !!

Like I would DEFINITELY be Hands on that Aston Refurb Model. 😇😇😇😇😇

Benzr
Post automatically merged:

I bought my factory-refurbed R7 at Woot for $350, felt for a while I lucked out until that "quiet" problem started to emerge. R1 was on sale at Sam's Club for $189 so currently, I am stuck with R1 and of course, R1 is no comparison to R3/R7. It is obnoxiously chatty even with Vortex's settings. GPS is a big value add for those folks who do not believe in GPS fencing. I did not believe in GPS until I tried R7. I think the problem with my R7 was predominantly with Ka detections. Other detections worked.
NOW WE KNOW ... to Question WOOT's Refurb 'rs. I'm sure Uniden wouldn't pull a stunt like that.

SEND IT BACK and buy another one.

When New several RDF 'rs bought NEW R3 and they just didn't perform well. Some returned 2-3 times b4 finding the "right" one.

Benzr

Last edited:

mountaindrive

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Instead of returning to Woot, I should have returned to Uniden. Woot does not replace and they not interested to help but did issue a refund. Problem is that $370 is my budget and BestBuy ones are $480 with tax.

mountaindrive

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Great radar, R7 is probably the best you can buy for a long while. R1 is just really not helpful, after 2 weeks of riding with R1, I unplugged it and forgot about it. Great decision to get R7 replaced via Uniden.
I just got mine back, and it seems to be a new unit. Looks like it's all working good so far, although I'm still going to take a few more drives to say for certain.

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Great radar, R7 is probably the best you can buy for a long while. R1 is just really not helpful, after 2 weeks of riding with R1, I unplugged it and forgot about it. Great decision to get R7 replaced via Uniden.

The R1 has its uses. For what it is, it's a solid detector, it's just lacking the GPS functions so you won't have lockouts or low speed mute. If you were going on a road trip it would probably do the job just fine, but driving around the city with it might get annoying quick.

fitz4321

Running With Scissors
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I had three R3’s. The referb showed the best results (edit: just slightly) at the stew zone. Specifically it was a warranty exchange from Uniden referb. I guessed that it was because it was hand checked and verified. Just a guess... could be wrong. Edit: All same firmware and settings.
The refurb R3 is now a spare as my R7 is my primary.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BloodGang92