An Unsettling First Drive with the R7

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So, I ordered one of those refurbished R7's that popped up on Woot last week. I figured it was a pretty good deal, and if I ebay'd my R3 after I got the new one the upgrade would only cost around $100.
I was slightly concerned about the lack of warranty, but I pulled the trigger anyway. It shows up in the mail, and first thing I do is update the firmware (of course only after making sure I didn't get that new pre-release firmware everyone's so hyped up about lol)

I head out to the car, plug it in, factory reset, and start putting in all of the settings I had on my R3. I go to drive around and I notice things are quiet, too quiet...

At first I think that the R7 just must have better filtering than the R3, but this doesn't add up as the R7 is completely silent in places that I knew the R3 went off. I pull over and change the settings, set it to highway mode, all bands on, all filters on. Hoping that it would false on something just to know that it was functioning at all, I drove around as many automatic door openers as I could. Still nothing.
Frustrated, I went home and grabbed my R3, set it to the same settings as the R7 (all bands on, highway, no filters), and I start driving to the nearby Walmart / Home Depot plaza (lots of door openers, seems to wreak havoc on every radar detector I've used)

The R3 alerts the whole way over, and all throughout the parking lot. I pull into a space, unplug the R3 and plug in the R7, and now the R7 is going off like crazy just like the R3 was.

Confused, I drive home for the time being before going out for another test. The next test, I confirmed that the R7 was picking up falses. Then I reprogrammed the settings to what they were before on my R3 and drove around the city for a few hours. During this time I was able to pick up some legitimate Ka signals as well as some K falses.

Now given that this is a refurbished unit, and I only have a 90 day warranty instead of the normal one year warranty, how should I proceed? Is it nothing to worry about and should I keep it and forget about the first drive I ran on it? Or should I try to get Uniden to repair it in some way to prevent many hours of paranoid driving concerned if my detector is working?

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Reinstall the firmware with the recovery flag selected then do a factory reset. If that doesn’t work t is probably warranty exchange time.

wayne77

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to say with the way that you've tested. Do you have access to a radar gun? Speed signs aren't the best but if you are near one of those, it may work just to make several passes to check consistency. Where are you located? There may be a member near who doesn't mind to help you out.

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I am in the Las Vegas area. I don't have access to a radar gun, but I do know where a couple speed signs are around town that I can play with.

For now I'll try re-flashing the firmware with the recovery setting to see what happens.

wjbertrand

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Well, the R7 is supposed to have better filtering right? You said you tried it with all bands on, all on highway, but all filters on as well. What happens if you turn off all the filters?

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Well, the R7 is supposed to have better filtering right? You said you tried it with all bands on, all on highway, but all filters on as well. What happens if you turn off all the filters?
Oops, sorry I meant off. All bands were on, all filters were off. I was basicly trying to get it to detect anything to see if it was working. But for the whole first run it wouldn't pick up anything even after unplugging it and plugging it back in.

cookylurker

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Also bought the refurbished unit from Woot. Already sold my R3 before I discovered it was deaf. I will try to reload the firmware and see if that corrects it but

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Also bought the refurbished unit from Woot. Already sold my R3 before I discovered it was deaf. I will try to reload the firmware and see if that corrects it but
This is a bit concerning that I'm not the only one experiencing issues on these referb units.
What sort of stuff happened with it though? Did it work at all after multiple tests or is it completely dead?
I know with mine it says there's a 90 warranty, if it doesn't work at all I can't imagine Uniden wouldn't at least do something.

I re-flashed the firmware for mine with the recovery flag set as oversteer325 suggested, and then set out to test it on some speed signs last night. I went over to a place called Echo Bay, it's an abandoned beach resort because basically the lake around it dried up and there is no more beach. The area was pretty wide open, and no cars or electronics for a few miles. I did a few drives by several speed signs that were out there, rebooting the detector between passes. The detector seemed to be going off at consistent distances from the sign. On some of the straighter routes I was about to get a little over a mile of detection range for K band. The unit seems to be doing it's job just fine, my only concern is the one first run that was completely silent.

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
If your using a K Band speed sign to test for operation remember this.
They are not stable on frequency. Weather, power levels etc affect frequency.
So run K Wide if your trying to pick up something like that.
Record the frequency. If it is low like 24.060 - 24.050 you may lose that sign reception on days its battery level is different or temperature is higher or lower.
R7 on 129.129 firmware won't go lower than 24.050.
Firmware 124 goes down to 23.900
Beta firmware in testing restores the extra-wide K Band to the R7.
I mention this because I have just this problem on a sign near me.
It's plugged into city power but slight temperature changes move it from 24.058 to 24.046, then I lose reception.
If this is not the case the reload of firmware in above posts probably cured it.

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I ran the tests on highway mode, K band wide, and I believe I had set K filter and K block on for that run.
I did not record the frequency of the sign, next time I have a chance to get out there I'll make sure to do that as well as running without K filter and K block.

For now though it looks like I'm just going to be driving through the nearest parking lot to verify the device hasn't gone silent on me before getting on the highway.
Post automatically merged:

I hate to double post, but I just went out and things seemed pretty quiet. No false alerts at all, I mean that wouldn't be a bad thing if the device was working but I had a suspicion something funny was going on.
I had a little time on my hands, and I still had the R3 in my car so I went over to the Walmart where I conducted my first test at.
I pulled into a space and set the following settings: All bands on, all filters off, K/Ka Wide, and of course set it to highway mode.
Drove right through and the detector didn't make a sound. Hooked up the R3 and verified the settings were the same, and did one more pass. The R3 had all threat display filled with alerts almost the entire time.
I pulled into a space and swapped detectors again, and this time the R7 lights up with a signal...

This detector definitely seems iffy.

Last edited:

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I ran the tests on highway mode, K band wide, and I believe I had set K filter and K block on for that run.
I did not record the frequency of the sign, next time I have a chance to get out there I'll make sure to do that as well as running without K filter and K block.

For now though it looks like I'm just going to be driving through the nearest parking lot to verify the device hasn't gone silent on me before getting on the highway.
Post automatically merged:

I hate to double post, but I just went out and things seemed pretty quiet. No false alerts at all, I mean that wouldn't be a bad thing if the device was working but I had a suspicion something funny was going on.
I had a little time on my hands, and I still had the R3 in my car so I went over to the Walmart where I conducted my first test at.
I pulled into a space and set the following settings: All bands on, all filters off, K/Ka Wide, and of course set it to highway mode.
Drove right through and the detector didn't make a sound. Hooked up the R3 and verified the settings were the same, and did one more pass. The R3 had all threat display filled with alerts almost the entire time.
I pulled into a space and swapped detectors again, and this time the R7 lights up with a signal...

This detector definitely seems iffy.
I’d say exchange it. You have to be able to trust it and one time out with the issue you described would have me always worried.

cookylurker

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I did the same thing and its still spotty. I will be reaching out to Uniden on Monday.

ninjanick

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I gave them a call and the lady on the phone was pretty helpful, I described the issue and she said send it in and emailed me all the necessary info.

TonyPHX

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My personal opinion is the something that you expect to be trustworthy should not be a refurb. Do not buy somebody else's problems no matter the discount. The brand new pricing on the R7 is very reasonable considering what you are getting.

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is the something that you expect to be trustworthy should not be a refurb. Do not buy somebody else's problems no matter the discount. The brand new pricing on the R7 is very reasonable considering what you are getting.
Exactly this...I would never by a refurbished anything.

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I have a new and refurb R7.
Side by side the refurb has been beating the new one handily on reception.
The above post by @fishing66 summarizes my feelings well, with a bit of drool and dilated pupils too. :D

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

billvp

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Same here ... I think half the time, the techs can't figure out what was wrong with the item and just repackage it as-is.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatRedCivic