Can an iPad be used?

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I saw mention of this in a thread from a couple of years ago but thought I'd ask to check on current status. My iPhone is company owned and I don't purchase personal apps for it. As such, I wonder if V1Driver could be used on an iPad tethered to the aforementioned iPhone's hotspot?

Thanks,

Howie

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I saw mention of this in a thread from a couple of years ago but thought I'd ask to check on current status. My iPhone is company owned and I don't purchase personal apps for it. As such, I wonder if V1Driver could be used on an iPad tethered to the aforementioned iPhone's hotspot?

Thanks,

Howie
Well, the main issue if your iPad is WiFi only is that it will not have a GPS built in which is more important than data access. V1Driver only needs data for iCloud backups. I run my iPad mini with cellular (has GPS) with V1Driver at times but removed it recently due to less driving. Its hard to keep the iPad charged when you only drive sort distances, it wants to be charged on a schedule more like a phone. My phone gets topped off nightly and its easier to deal with since its always ready and in my pocket.

Bottom line, yes you can use an iPad with V1Driver but if it does not have GPS it won't do anything for you.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarity. I have two iPads- was hoping to use the older one but it is WiFi only. My newer one (IPad Air 3) is a WiFi + Cellular model and although I don't have cellular service activated the unit does have built-in GPS so I believe that would work (i.e., one does not need cellular activated as long as GPS is present)?

With respect to keeping the iPad charged, my car has USB-C and I'd probably plan on keeping the iPad connected while utilized in this fashion.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarity. I have two iPads- was hoping to use the older one but it is WiFi only. My newer one (IPad Air 3) is a WiFi + Cellular model and although I don't have cellular service activated the unit does have built-in GPS so I believe that would work (i.e., one does not need cellular activated as long as GPS is present)?

With respect to keeping the iPad charged, my car has USB-C and I'd probably plan on keeping the iPad connected while utilized in this fashion.
When I speak of keeping mine charged I’m not driving far enough right now often enough to keep mine charged. It does however maintain charge fine on the days I spend more time driving.

You will be good to go with GPS only. The only thing you will want to do at some point is hit the backup to iCloud button after you have everything setup the way you like so that if you want to move to another device or restore your device you have a backup. It’s just a time saver. There are no other functions offered that need cellular to work.

The other apps that use data are updating camera databases or pulling data from Waze, etc. V1Driver does not have that. Now, if you wanted to run Waze at the same time you could but would need data to do it.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks again and forgive my ignorance. Although I’ve been a V1 owner and user for over twenty years, I’ve only used the V1 Connection app in conjunction with the Bluetooth module to change settings on my V1 (never ran it “live” while driving).

Now, in contrast to what I suggested earlier, I do have Waze on my iPhone and use it religiously. I guess the question at this point is V1Driver worth it?

Is it worth the cost just to make changes to the V1G2 and not actively run in the background (a la how I used V1 Connection)? Or is V1Driver not designed for that (V1 Connection accomplishes everything in that regard)?

What specific benefits does V1Driver provide when running and being actively monitored by the driver? Is there value if it’s running and interacting with V1G2 but not being monitored (iPad sitting in the passenger seat).

I guess the $10 isn’t the hurdle but rather determining whether it would actually augment my V1G2 needs.

Thanks again.

Daaavid

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I guess the question at this point is V1Driver worth it?
V1Driver is designed to be ran in the background. I used to have a V1 Gen1 and now a Gen2, and it is absolutely wonderful. Connects seamlessly in the background via Bluetooth and it learns as you drive. It makes you more situationally aware and increases your satisfaction with the V1 of both generations. I never have the app open as I drive and I only ever open the app to look at the map of where all my radar hits were.

I'd look at it this way - if you are running a V1 Gen2 and not using one of the apps, you are missing out. The smart capabilities of learning stationary falses, emulated Savvy via GPS, and auto muting moving falses is worth more than $10. V1Driver is just a smart way to mute the detector without user interaction, while still keeping you protected and aware of what's going around you and that's priceless.

You can better leverage the tools you have at hand because you can trust that your detector is alerting you to the incoming threat.

Take this case example:

You are traveling down an unfamiliar road. You pick up a K band false and see that there is a Walmart near you. You account that for the automatic door openers. Further down the street, the bogey counter goes up to 2 and you see a K band speed sign. Bogey counter shows 2, and you go ahead and press the mute button on the detector. Unknowingly, a Ka encounter appears but because you manually muted the detector and you ignore the bogey lock tone, it's still coming in muted and you're above PSL. You're toast.

With an app like V1Driver, there is no need to touch the detector at all. The auto mute functionality ensures that you've been notified (audibly as well with frequency and band readouts) that it's picked up both K band encounters (Walmart door opener and speed sign) and automatically muted them, but that new Ka detection has forced the V1 to unmute. You are now alert and aware that danger is up ahead, just as Mike V. anticipated.

Or for instance, a moving stationary false:

You are traveling down the highway and encroach upon a vehicle ahead of you that is spewing out BSM radar falses from hell. The V1 is constantly going off to K band for 1 bogey. You can't manually mute the detector because the signal goes away and the V1 is silent again. Another vehicle comes into the blind spot of that vehicle in question and the V1 goes off to K band again. You mute it as much as you can, but at this point, it's absolutely tiring and you ignore the detector. A legitimate K band signal appears, and you dismiss it as it being the BSM vehicle. You're above PSL and you're toast.

The V1Driver app takes care of this for you via Auto Snooze. It's seen that specific signal frequency once (e.g. 24.162), and it alerts you. Signal goes away and then it alerts again when another vehicle encroaches into that blind spot. V1Driver at this point in time will automatically mute the historical frequency (24.162) via Auto Snooze. This entire instance, the V1 is alerting you at a muted volume. However, a new legitimate K band signal appears (e.g. 24.172) appears. V1Driver will now alert at regular volume because it has detected a new frequency that it has not Auto Snoozed yet. You take notice and slow down to PSL.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
iPad can be used and it DOES need the Cellular chip flavor but it does NOT need to be activated to perform it's main functions. You do not have to visually monitor it. The only reason you need the Cellular Flavor is the cellular chips contain the GPS chip.

Without activation you won't always see maps and you can't backup to cloud. GPS locks might be slower too.

I goofed when I release V1Driver that it should require the GPS Chip, but I missed it. So allows you to purchase it for Wifi only devices but it should not be allowed. And they don't allow me to change that. Because I'm changing the requires on the the users that but it without the GPS Chip.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the input. Coincidentally, I ran across an old iPhone (6) I'd placed in my desk drawer when I upgraded my work phone. It was dead as a doornail but I've been charging this morning and the battery is alive. Once fully charged, my plan is to hard reset it and subsequently set it up with my personal Apple user ID (same as my iPad). From there I believe I could download V1Driver onto it and use in the car instead of the bulkier iPad.

Does this plan make sense?

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the main issue if your iPad is WiFi only is that it will not have a GPS built in which is more important than data access. V1Driver only needs data for iCloud backups. I run my iPad mini with cellular (has GPS) with V1Driver at times but removed it recently due to less driving. Its hard to keep the iPad charged when you only drive sort distances, it wants to be charged on a schedule more like a phone. My phone gets topped off nightly and its easier to deal with since its always ready and in my pocket.

Bottom line, yes you can use an iPad with V1Driver but if it does not have GPS it won't do anything for you.
WiFi only iPads have GPS built in.

iPads have multiple day battery life when used heavily. In standby they can last months.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
WiFi only iPads have GPS built in.

iPads have multiple day battery life when used heavily. In standby they can last months.
Sorry, they dont. You will get a simulated GPS by using access point data but no real GPS. Only cellular models get a GPS chip.

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I always forget I have a cellular model without a SIM card in it...

Deacon

TXCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Just use whatever phone you already carry with you normally anyway.

mhowie

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just use whatever phone you already carry with you normally anyway.
Per the information in the initial post that’s not an option.

psiddle

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
iPad can be used and it DOES need the Cellular chip flavor but it does NOT need to be activated to perform it's main functions. You do not have to visually monitor it. The only reason you need the Cellular Flavor is the cellular chips contain the GPS chip.

Without activation you won't always see maps and you can't backup to cloud. GPS locks might be slower too.

I goofed when I release V1Driver that it should require the GPS Chip, but I missed it. So allows you to purchase it for Wifi only devices but it should not be allowed. And they don't allow me to change that. Because I'm changing the requires on the the users that but it without the GPS Chip.
English, please.

mswlogo

Software Developer
Advanced User
Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
English, please.
There are two flavors of iPads. WiFi only or ones that you can add a data plan to (Verizon, AT&T, etc. ). You MUST have an iPad that CAN have a Data plan. But you do not have to actually have a plan active on it. The hardware is different. You need that hardware for V1Driver to work.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jreihsen