V1 Gen 1 suggestion by Kennyc56, OMG

ALS

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Kennyc56 mentioned in another thread to turn off "POP". It is unreal how much that suggestion has quieted down my V1 Gen 1.

Still get hammered by Chrysler and Honda CUV BSM's with small L, but not as bad as I did with POP on.

Put over 500 miles on my detector through West Virginia today and was pretty happy at how quiet it was.

No radar or Laser hits all day and only saw two WV SP Motorcycle cops on I-79 and one local drove pass me not running radar in Nettle, WV.

FYI, I only posted this in case some of you are still running a GEN 1 like me and missed his post in another thread.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
The detector was so chatty it was almost useless with POP on.
Yeah, absolutely no need to run K POP as it disables TMF2, which was game changing when it was released. Also, K POP is probably never used in practice!

Make sure TMF2 is enabled, and consider adding an app like JBV1 or V1Driver and you won't believe it's the same detector!

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This was for a 3.872 V1 that I owned. It was a hot one that had beaten one of the latest and greatest V1's even with custom sweeps and JBV1! Mine had a little better range from the front and 2 miles better from the rear against 35.5! It was also better at Q/T shots as well so I decided not to have it updated and sold it to a fellow member on the forum to help offset the cost of my V1G2. With POP on it really was useless! With it off however it was at least liveable and I ran it like that for years with my Redline-O for a hell of a tag team until K band became hopeless again and I split them up after that. My V1G2 is incredible even with it's issues and I can't wait to see how it evolves!

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
This thread is confusing. What does disabling K Pop “J” setting have anything to do with enabling Junk K Fighter? When Junk K is enabled, K Pop supposedly is inherently disabled and doesn’t need to be messed with. So with the OP already having the last build of the gen 1 firmware, this was already On by default or should have been... perhaps this is why your V1 was so chatty... because your TMF2/Junk K wasn’t On for some strange reason. So, WTF?... over.

ALS

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
What was happening as I can figure out is that K POP is so sensitive that the slightest sniff of a BSM K band signal would alert the detector. With POP on any BSM within a 1/2 mile or more would set the detector off. Once I turned POP off it dramatically shortened the alert range of the BSM's.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Half a mile? Something’s not right. Mine’s default settings with TMF2 On (because I’m one firmware back from when that was default) and I literally have to be within 2-4 or 5 (depends on car model) car lengths of a Pacifica or MDX or Mazda to set it off. Certainly not 1/2 mile. Are you sure your TMF is On? When the V1 powers up, does it display an upside down and reversed F?

ALS

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I rechecked my settings and somehow my TMF wasn't checked in my Profiles with the JBV1. I'm sure it was on before when I had POP on, I must have mistakenly unchecked it.

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
That was your problem then. With that off, your K band probably would have majorly falsed.

I wonder if JVB1 has some stupid setting autoflip where if one gets enabled or disabled, it flips the other setting too. That shouldn’t be the case as if TMF2 is On, the detector inherently won’t have a functioning POP, even though it’s still on and indicated at boot up. According to V1’s tech notes, POP will continue to be On, but the two interfere with each other on K band. That said POP has to be on to continue to work on Ka and I think it’s just one setting on the detector and not band independent, so I’d just leave it on so Ka is covered even though cops aren’t supposed to still use POP to ticket you... you know how that goes.

Discord Server

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeziggy