Buick Mirror Tap

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve patiently waited for this day.
When we bought her the Buick last year she saw me eyeing up the mirror and righ away said your not putting that stuff in my car. So, I ordered permanent window mount and glue it to the windshield. Then I slipped the GT into the car. She protested and forgot to plug it in a bunch of times. I just plugged it in for her and waited. Then it happened while she was on the way home and happened to be talking to me. Heard beep, beep-beep KA and she said holy shit it just saved my @ss. I said what was that, I didn’t hear you. She said ‘nothing.’
Today she said that detector thing needs to be tightened up its moving up n down.
My big chance! Grabbed tools, voltmeter & wire tap and headed out to the driveway. After poking and prodding, googling and watching videos.. Have come to the conclusion a wire tap won’t work. She’s got onstar but no compass, tilting mirror, garage door opener... Options. All I can find is 10 volts.
Looks like direct wire is next step.
And since she’s already come out and said ‘You better not be doing anything crazy in my car’ I’m going to put everything back and get a fuse tap next time I’m at AutoZone. So close and so far...

Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!21735E5E-064E-4439-9A3B-18E46E6CC4F7.pngFA64B74C-67EB-4A84-9ABF-C85E3758638D.jpeg21735E5E-064E-4439-9A3B-18E46E6CC4F7.pngFA64B74C-67EB-4A84-9ABF-C85E3758638D.jpegFA64B74C-67EB-4A84-9ABF-C85E3758638D.jpeg0141FAF6-83C6-44F1-AE89-06D08310182A.jpeg21735E5E-064E-4439-9A3B-18E46E6CC4F7.png

Last edited:

thebravo

Security
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This is what I did in my wife's car. She didn't want CMs despite her intermittant lead foot, so one-day a DFR7 just appears permanently mounted above her rearview mirror (such that you can't get to the power button) and it is neatly hardwired with a mute button next to the steering wheel. I set it up to be pretty quiet so it won't annoy her but just let her know that she should check her speed when there is an alert nearby. I also slipped a pair of LIs into her grill but that's more for when I drive her car. When I get cash for ALPs with a nice short auto JTK setup those will also be hardwired and active for her.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
This is what I did in my wife's car. She didn't want CMs despite her intermittant lead foot, so one-day a DFR7 just appears permanently mounted above her rearview mirror (such that you can't get to the power button) and it is neatly hardwired with a mute button next to the steering wheel. I set it up to be pretty quiet so it won't annoy her but just let her know that she should check her speed when there is an alert nearby. I also slipped a pair of LIs into her grill but that's more for when I drive her car. When I get cash for ALPs with a nice short auto JTK setup those will also be hardwired and active for her.
Your wife certainly has a better setup than me and I’m trying, ha. My wife has had an R3 and right now has a Pro M but I think I am about to install her a V1G2, this thing is quiet. I wish now I would have kept the R3 mirror tap since the Radenso has a round plug but no biggie. My next move will be hardwired for her and she’s not getting my V1 until its Theia time,

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@R4D4RUS3R
Make a Radenso adapter.
I posted instructions about 3 yrs ago.
There was version 1 & 2. Suggested to Radenso to make them but they said market wasn’t big enough.
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

Attachments

Last edited:

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
@R4D4RUS3R
Make a Radenso adapter.
I posted instructions about 3 yrs ago.
There was version 1 & 2. Suggested to Radenso to make them but they said market wasn’t big enough.
You’re going from RJ11 to the round plug? I follow that. I already have the round in the car. If I swap detectors in her car it will be back to the RJ11. I will keep this in mind for future planning. Go ahead when I have the time and hardwire RJ11 and make an adapter. I already have what I need to do it. Thanks for the idea.

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That mirror plug looks similar to my sons 06 Buick Lucerne. It took me a lil longer than usual to find the correct wires for the mirror tap but I did find them.

Sent from my

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That mirror plug looks similar to my sons 06 Buick Lucerne. It took me a lil longer than usual to find the correct wires for the mirror tap but I did find them.
Sent from my
Only found 10 volts,...
But, I did find these guys that charge a outrageous amount for a pre-assembled cable.

Last edited:

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah, at that price.... I'd go hardwire. Wonder why it states that it won't work for Unidens.
I'm glad I was able to use the mirror on my sons car because his battery and fuse block are under the rear seat.
Post automatically merged:

My son's inside RVM is a lil different.
Screenshot_2020-07-05-16-23-29.png
Screenshot_2020-07-05-16-23-43.png

Last edited:

Normsky

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Do you have rain sensing wipers?

The CT6 guys are mirror tapping and having constant laser flashing. Where my CT6 is fuse box tapped for the V1 and clipped on the visor.

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@Normsky - No only option is onstar and only found 10 V
So I called 2 places. The custom install shop told me $80 and Buick Dealer said 1 hr labor $60. Got busy and with out taking anything apart, used a coat hanger to pull the wire up from the fuse box. Then I tucked it in around the pillar and acrossed the roof trim. Cut a slot in the plastic that’s below the mirror.
Only 2 problems. After tightening the ground wire under the bolt, the socket fell off the ratchet and dropped into the inners of the dash. I’m not taking anything apart to get it... And the strain relief braid came out of the connector. A little 5 minute epoxy fixed that .
Total time including problems and the Better half’s inspection and approval about a hour and a half.
Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!003C7312-ADCE-4C91-AD80-9AE958508763.jpegA20C9394-956A-4EEE-8D5A-D4384058C2C0.jpeg2B89CE2D-D16A-46FD-AF70-DBE6A1C3A0EA.jpeg
Radar Mount Direct Wire MPN3005001
LittelFuse Mini add-a-circuit power tap

Last edited:

Ropchips

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hopefully that socket is wedged and doesn't roll around on every turn. Otherwise, you just might be forced to live up to your user name to get that socket out of there.

Up All Night

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully that socket is wedged and doesn't roll around on every turn. Otherwise, you just might be forced to live up to your user name to get that socket out of there.
The neighbor has a sawzall, can make it into a convertible while looking for socket
If you hear that I died while sleeping when a pillow accidentally covered my face, it wasn’t cause I was snoring...

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hallm2020