Waze, Highway Radar, and JBV1

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Now I understand how you are typically viewing JBV1. That helps.
You are using it in Overlay mode. You don't see the JBV1 maps either, do you?

I'm not sure how you could be seeing frequency alerts without your V1 connected. Could there be another V1 nearby at times?

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Now I understand how you are typically viewing JBV1. That helps.
You are using it in Overlay mode. You don't see the JBV1 maps either, do you?

I'm not sure how you could be seeing frequency alerts without your V1 connected. Could there be another V1 nearby at times?

IIRC, there’s also a number that I think might be the distance to where the threat is, and I think the arrow is different too than the screen shot you provided. The arrow could be pointing in any direction, not just N/S/E/W. But that info, along with the frequency, are on a little pop up that can be moved by sliding it to a different part of the screen.

As for connecting to a different V1, I only have one and I’ve only connected JBV1 to that specific V1. The next time this happens, I’ll take a screen shot of it and post it here so you can see exactly what I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Under Settings > Connection Advanced :)
Do you use this option? I turned it on, JBV1 auto starts when my G2 starts and it does open Waze. Issue is, my phone goes back to sleep making me unlock it to see Waze. If I only have it open JBV1 the screen stays on. I assume I have a setting wrong, any ideas? As it is, I will go days without touching my phone since every time I get in and out of the car everything starts and stops without needing to touch it.

BLS7

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I have received alerts from Waze thru highway radar.
As everyone knows, highway radar is linked to Waze.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you use this option? I turned it on, JBV1 auto starts when my G2 starts and it does open Waze. Issue is, my phone goes back to sleep making me unlock it to see Waze. If I only have it open JBV1 the screen stays on. I assume I have a setting wrong, any ideas? As it is, I will go days without touching my phone since every time I get in and out of the car everything starts and stops without needing to touch it.

I used to use this option. I've stopped in the last few months because I let Android Auto start Waze on that screen and for the longest time I had it attempting to launch it twice. (Didn't make a difference that I'm aware of)

So JBV1 on the screen keeps the phone awake, but Waze on the screen let's it go dark?
That sounds like a "battery saver" mode in Waze. I have the battery saved mode off in Waze.

I can't say that it's the issue though. I haven't run Waze on my phone screen for a few months. (Once in a while I'd drive short distances without plugging in my USB cable and Waze used to launch on the phone during those drives) :) Check your battery saver option in Waze.
Post automatically merged:

I have received alerts from Waze thru highway radar.
As everyone knows, highway radar is linked to Waze.

Similar to CSA alerts in JBV1. :)

Last edited:

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Guys, what do I lose if don't don't run VVaze with JBV1 and use Highway Radar instead? I obviously lose my "sneaky police" reports and I don't have navigation. What else that could be a concern?

Thanks.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score

JBV1 can't unlock your device, but it attempts to dismiss the keyguard in case it is unlocked. In any event, JBV1 will display on the lock screen even if the device remains locked. When JBV1 launches another app, that app will not be displayed on the lock screen if it isn't designed to do so.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
Guys, what do I lose if don't don't run VVaze with JBV1 and use Highway Radar instead? I obviously lose my "sneaky police" reports and I don't have navigation. What else that could be a concern?

Thanks.

You can use or not use VVaze with both apps. Either way, VVaze must be running in order to report/confirm, at least until there's a plugin to do it outside of VVaze. If and when there's a plugin, I intend to provide support for it also.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Question: Are you saying you want to run
JBV1 and Highway Radar together? OR
Waze and Highway Radar together?

JBV1 and Highway Radar have similar data sources and features. No need to run those together and it will potentially cause too many data requests and duplicated alerts.
Waze is really important to add alerts to their data stream for the benefit of other drivers. If we stop using Waze, the info dries up for everyone.

Waze and Highway Radar together will work fine I suppose.
I don't think Highway Radar has
weather (a lot more helpful than you'd think!),
personal user marks (great for spots you know are concerning),
Red-Light and Speed Camera alerts

If running with a V1, JBV1 has a lot of options to go with that of course.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I just did a long trip with the V1, JBV1 and Highway Radar. I'm trying to establish if I'm missing any key features by turning off VVaze.

(I still report on VVaze with the same enthusiasm as always...no changes there. I was trying to minimize my data consumption by not having VVaze and Highway Radar running at the same time. Maybe VVaze goes to sleep when in the background...this is what I don't know. I can clearly see it stops updating the map when in the background.)

I find the long-range reporting on Highway Radar to be of significant value. Highway Radar does have weather and traffic.

Thanks.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 also reports long range. (If that's something you didn't know was possible and want that feature in JBV1 as well)

The CSA alert range is up to 5 miles (1 mile default)
PAWS (aircraft) is up to 25 miles (10 miles default)

The live alert map can grow and shrink depending on your speed.
I have mine set to 5 miles at 50 MPH and above. You can also select a 10 mile static range.

There are also range adjustments for Red Light Cameras and Speed Cameras, etc.

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks, Bloovy, I'll have to look for that long distance CSA setting in JBV1.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
JBV1 can't unlock your device, but it attempts to dismiss the keyguard in case it is unlocked. In any event, JBV1 will display on the lock screen even if the device remains locked. When JBV1 launches another app, that app will not be displayed on the lock screen if it isn't designed to do so.
This is what must be happening. JBV1 will launch followed by Waze followed by the screen turning off. So, I stopped launching Waze. Should I still need to open it or will the related alerts arrive on the display? I think they do, I get reports.

I know I need to open it to report things myself but when that comes up I click the icon on the bottom left and report then flip back. I love the automation of it just starting and stopping the phone.

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Software Developer
Reaction score
This is what must be happening. JBV1 will launch followed by Waze followed by the screen turning off. So, I stopped launching Waze. Should I still need to open it or will the related alerts arrive on the display? I think they do, I get reports.

Nothing else needs to be running to get alerts. The other app is needed only to report new activity, or to confirm existing reports.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder though @R4D4RUS3R if what is happening is that you aren't unlocking the phone in the car? That makes a difference and I believe it will hold you back from using Waze on demand.

I get in the car and unlock my phone. Once JBV1 and sometimes Waze is running, it should keep the phone unlocked.

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder though @R4D4RUS3R if what is happening is that you aren't unlocking the phone in the car? That makes a difference and I believe it will hold you back from using Waze on demand.

I get in the car and unlock my phone. Once JBV1 and sometimes Waze is running, it should keep the phone unlocked.
I dont unlock the phone, I just get in and go and it will start and stop on its own. I have decided to use Waze on my iPhone, easier since its mounted on the dash as well.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Now it's all making sense. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics