Waze, Highway Radar, and JBV1

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
So my V1G2 was delivered yesterday and I tried it out today with my JBV1 dedicated phone with Waze.

My perfect setup would be:
1). Have my iPhone be connected to Sync 3 for phone calls
2). Have the Android connected to Sync 3 for Android Auto to display Waze
3). Use my iPhone as a hotspot to connect the Android to the internet for PAWS/CSA
4). Run JBV1/Waze on the Android
5). Get all JBV1/Waze audio alerts through Sync 3
6). Be listening to Sync 3’s Sirius XM

Today I couldn’t get that working, most notably audio alerts from Waze or JBV1 being played via Sync 3 when connected to Android Auto.

I did, however, get JBV1 audio alerts to play via Sync 3 while displaying google maps from my iPhone connected to Apple CarPlay. Not exactly what I wanted, but it worked (finally!) and didn’t have time to mess with settings and risk breaking what was working and never finding a solution for my preferred setup. I’ll mess with it more tomorrow.

Something happened with JBV1 that I have no idea why this happens. During the day, JBV1 displayed on my Android the entire day. At night, the screen kept going black and I had to touch my screen to wake it up. Have no idea why that happened only at night and not during the day. During the day, I had the screen setting to White and Dark during nighttime driving. Not sure if that’s what caused it or if I changed something else. Either way, the phone was plugged in. I thought maybe the screen timed out after a while of no alerts, but I had only a couple alerts during the day and it never went dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALS

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Question on how to get Waze to run with JBV1. Older version of JBV1 would automatically insert WAZE on top of the alert screen.

Last weekend, I could activate WAZE but it was stand alone and not integrated into JBV1. I just went through the settings again and something changed, no WAZE option. Was WAZE renamed as CSA? I have CSA enabled now.

Is there a way to run WAZE with JBV1 together again?

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Under Settings > Connection Advanced :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-160403.png
    Screenshot_20200709-160403.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 98

infiniti

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great thread - I have a closely related question to get a bit more information:

Which do you like better as a standalone (not running V1 connected) app for a complement to RD/Laser protection and Waze?

I’ve been using Highway Radar for months and love it. Just haven’t messed with JBV1 much.

For those that have used both, what are some of the key differences?

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Great thread - I have a closely related question to get a bit more information:

Which do you like better as a standalone (not running V1 connected) app for a complement to RD/Laser protection and Waze?

I’ve been using Highway Radar for months and love it. Just haven’t messed with JBV1 much.

For those that have used both, what are some of the key differences?
The key difference is one connects to a V1 and one does not. The Highway Radar data is integrated into JBV1. The advantage of JBV1 is that it adds your detector data into the app and offers profiles and things to control the V1. Standalone, it would be a matter of which one you prefer the look of more. I’m fairly new to the apps so this is only my take so far, maybe someone else has a better comparison.

infiniti

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
The key difference is one connects to a V1 and one does not. The Highway Radar data is integrated into JBV1. The advantage of JBV1 is that it adds your detector data into the app and offers profiles and things to control the V1. Standalone, it would be a matter of which one you prefer the look of more. I’m fairly new to the apps so this is only my take so far, maybe someone else has a better comparison.

Yeah, I’m asking about differences you like or dislike in the standalone mode only. I realize the V1 connection option on JBV1.

If we are looking to add this as another layer of protection in addition to an RD and Waze, which do you like better and why?

Beemerchef

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
AS much as I like the screen of the JBV1 better than Waze [this was discussed a few posts ago on this thread] I do set Waze for the LEO notifications towards others. It is only "fair" I find to reciprocate the favor.

The question however I have towards "Highway Radar . com" is, do I need to download the app on my phone to have the heat maps shown on JBV1. I have the feeling I do!

Besides that I must say that all is well. I am still taken back from the distance when Ka alerts start! For some reason my V1 did not alert me as well. Again this morning I had a Ka behind me and I literally parked in the side strip mall parking lot to see if it was real... There was some traffic and what it seems to be an hour later, sure enough! NMHP black and white...

Signature 3.jpg

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
In my limited use of JBV1, Highway Radar and Waze, I’ve received notifications of nearby or upcoming police reports shown with the number of thumbs up or confirmations. Where are people giving the thumbs up?

Maybe no one is actually giving a thumbs up, but the number of “thanks” instead of “not there” within Waze serve as the thumbs up.

Another question: is there a way to know the source of the threat (Waze, CSA, HW Radar, et).

Finally, since Waze is crowd source alerts, where specifically do the CSA alerts come from if they’re not Waze alerts? I’m guessing maybe the difference between Waze and CSA’s is Waze alerts are due to someone manually reporting a LEO sighting, and CSA’s are automatic sharing of other CSA users whose detectors alerted to KA (and laser?) frequency. Is that true?

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In Waze, a thanks is a thumbs up. Not there is a thumbs down.

PM sent. ;)

Last edited:

Boozehound

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I run Waze on a galaxy s10e and JBV1 on a galaxy s9. I just find it easier since I use Waze for nav but also to tag the pickpockets. Especially if they're well hidden. I've turned around to do that before because occasionally Waze would lockup on my old s7 before I replaced it with the s10e. I also like JBV1 full screen so I can see at a glance all the great info it provides.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ok, after looking at the settings again, it looks like I was wrong. I thought I had to enable Waze and CSA’s within JBV1 and Highway Radar, but I only see CSA’s in both apps which both are related to Waze.

What’s interesting is sometimes I get a little banner on the screen, I think within JBV1, that shows a frequency, arrow and distance. When I zoom out the map, I don’t see anything. I thought I should see the LEO emoji in the direction of the arrow, but it’s never there. I haven’t checked in Waze to see if anything is shown.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any updates on SEAL and its integration into JBV1 and Highway Radar? Is it now functional, or still working on resolving issues?

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Ok, after looking at the settings again, it looks like I was wrong. I thought I had to enable Waze and CSA’s within JBV1 and Highway Radar, but I only see CSA’s in both apps which both are related to Waze.

What’s interesting is sometimes I get a little banner on the screen, I think within JBV1, that shows a frequency, arrow and distance. When I zoom out the map, I don’t see anything. I thought I should see the LEO emoji in the direction of the arrow, but it’s never there. I haven’t checked in Waze to see if anything is shown.

That sounds like you are getting a radar alert of an LEO that's not marked. They are separate.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
That sounds like you are getting a radar alert of an LEO that's not marked. They are separate.

So Waze is reporting that, correct? What do you mean by “not marked”? How are those even reported as “not marked”? I’m not trying to be a smart a$$, I’m just trying to understand. When I’ve reported via Waze, I just click on the report icon, click the police symbol, and click either “other side”, “visible”, “hidden”, or one other option that I can’t remember.

Thanks again for your help.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No. Not the way you are describing it anyway. Let me elaborate and see if this matches what you are experiencing:

If you get an alert that shows a frequency; that's coming from a connected V1 only. That's the full path of that alert. V1 to JBV1 to the JBV1 screen and log file. Nothing else happens with that alert except it can later be shown as an alert you've encountered in the past in the log and/or the map.

CSA alerts have no knowledge of radar or lidar use at all. They only know that someone has visually seen an LEO vehicle and manually reported that vehicle. They report, you receive that report and it goes to the JBV1 screen and log file. Those also can be shown later and/or on the maps.

Adding one more level. Air patrol alerts have no knowledge of CSA's or radar/lidar at all. Those arrive at JBV1, get displayed, and that's the end of that.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No. Not the way you are describing it anyway. Let me elaborate and see if this matches what you are experiencing:

If you get an alert that shows a frequency; that's coming from a connected V1 only. That's the full path of that alert. V1 to JBV1 to the JBV1 screen and log file. Nothing else happens with that alert except it can later be shown as an alert you've encountered in the past in the log and/or the map.

CSA alerts have no knowledge of radar or lidar use at all. They only know that someone has visually seen an LEO vehicle and manually reported that vehicle. They report, you receive that report and it goes to the JBV1 screen and log file. Those also can be shown later and/or on the maps.

Adding one more level. Air patrol alerts have no knowledge of CSA's or radar/lidar at all. Those arrive at JBV1, get displayed, and that's the end of that.

Hmmm, that’s very interesting. What’s even weirder then is that several times I’ve gotten that pop up message with frequency, arrow, etc while sitting inside my house while the detector is in its case in a drawer.

Just to be clear in case someone might be thinking this, I was NOT running the Demo when I got those pop ups.

Last edited:

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hmmm. So you are seeing something like this, and your V1 is not connected AND you aren't running demo mode in JBV1?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-195422.png
    Screenshot_20200719-195422.png
    205.4 KB · Views: 75

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pieterjnz