Just ordered V1G2

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
Being that I'm from I/O Hell NC, I ALWAYS brake back to 9 over PSL no matter what detector I'm running at the first hint of a Ka band alert! All I ever see is I/O and plenty of it is still 35.5! My V1G2 is kicking @ss against both 34.7 and 35.5 I/O because of it's ability to snag those far off weak whiffs even farther out than my R1's. Even the point blank 35.5 I/O shots are still good because like I said, I've trained myself for more than 20 years to drop anchor first and ask questions later! The V1G2 is lightning fast against I/O, but the ramp needs to show urgency much sooner in the kill zone, but it's still working out ok for me. On the very few C/O 34.7 encounters I've had it's totally blown my mind and the C/O ramp is perfect!
This last encounter that you did get hit and pulled over, did you get hit point blank because you were the only one or what? I feel like I/O radar is just as bad as lidar is if nobody ahead of you gets hit for you to pick up on before you’re the target, so maybe this wasn’t avoidable no matter what.

*Edit*
Oops, not you but Obi..

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
This last encounter that you did get hit and pulled over, did you get hit point blank because you were the only one or what? I feel like I/O radar is just as bad as lidar is if nobody ahead of you gets hit for you to pick up on before you’re the target, so maybe this wasn’t avoidable no matter what.

*Edit*
Oops, not you but Obi..
Actually the odds of getting pulled over because of me being the only one on the road are zero because if that ever happens I only run 9 over. I only haul @ss when there are cars up ahead and I use them as targets for these NC State Troopers. I usually know miles before it's my turn! Every once in awhile I'll get popped point blank coming around a curve or something but I drop anchor and so far I've come out unscathed for more than 20 years! I'm always looking as far ahead as possible and have more eyeball saves than I can count. The trick is never drop your guard if you live in a hard core state like NC! But you're right, nothing is worse than I/O!

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
It’s funny you mention this because I posted about a question along this line a while back and was told nothing existed like this. The cops of the local town I drive through all have I believe Kustom dash units in their cars and while some are C/O while driving, I’ve run into a few that I swear give off nothing until you’re 5 over speed or closer to the cop car and I’m the kill zone and then to almost full tilt but usually 1/2 on my gen 1 V1 to get a speed lock. I tested this twice where I sped up to 4 over and then sat there and nothing I go 5 over and poof, Ka I/O. I thought for sure no cop is that observant, especially when deep within a pack of cars or coming in opposite direction and one that had pulled someone over and he wasn’t in his car when the damn thing lit me up during a test like that as I passed him. Just seemed strange and way too precise and quick. The fuggers will ticket at anything over 5 over locally, so it make sense to me if they had something to set that and then go full tilt automatically to lock it, they’d run like that to get around detectors.
Post automatically merged:

Actually the odds of getting pulled over because of me being the only one on the road are zero because if that ever happens I only run 9 over. I only haul @ss when there are cars up ahead and I use them as targets for these NC State Troopers. I usually know miles before it's my turn! Every once in awhile I'll get popped point blank coming around a curve or something but I drop anchor and so far I've come out unscathed for more than 20 years! I'm always looking as far ahead as possible and have more eyeball saves than I can count. The trick is never drop your guard if you live in a hard core state like NC! But you're right, nothing is worse than I/O!
Lol, you sound like me in terms of awareness when you really push it. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s funny you mention this because I posted about a question along this line a while back and was told nothing existed like this. The cops of the local town I drive through all have I believe Kustom dash units in their cars and while some are C/O while driving, I’ve run into a few that I swear give off nothing until you’re 5 over speed or closer to the cop car and I’m the kill zone and then to almost full tilt but usually 1/2 on my gen 1 V1 to get a speed lock. I tested this twice where I sped up to 4 over and then sat there and nothing I go 5 over and poof, Ka I/O. I thought for sure no cop is that observant, especially when deep within a pack of cars or coming in opposite direction and one that had pulled someone over and he wasn’t in his car when the damn thing lit me up during a test like that as I passed him. Just seemed strange and way too precise and quick. The fuggers will ticket at anything over 5 over locally, so it make sense to me if they had something to set that and then go full tilt automatically to lock it, they’d run like that to get around detectors.
Post automatically merged:

Lol, you sound like me in terms of awareness when you really push it. 👍
If you drop your guard around here your @ss will get lit up like a pinball machine! BTW, I always push it!

Last edited:

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm with kenny. Down here I/O is used mostly and our roads don't usually allow moonshot detections. At the first Ka beep I'm slowing till I know where the revenue man is.
PS Don't get too tied up with JBV1 settings, start with defaults and feel free to ask us about anything you're not sure of.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I'm with kenny. Down here I/O is used mostly and our roads don't usually allow moonshot detections. At the first Ka beep I'm slowing till I know where the revenue man is.
PS Don't get too tied up with JBV1 settings, start with defaults and feel free to ask us about anything you're not sure of.
There’s one setting I’m not sure where it is.

When there’s a lockout, I don’t want to hear or see anything from either the detector or the app. I thought JBV1 has that option, but there are a TOOOOOONNNNNN of options and I haven’t been able to find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

When there’s a lockout, I don’t want to hear or see anything from either the detector or the app. I thought JBV1 has that option, but there are a TOOOOOONNNNNN of options and I haven’t been able to find it.

For you first issue. To have slient lockouts. Press and hold one of the volume buttons on your v1 till it give you the multiple beep sounds. While it's beeping press the power button aka mute button. You should see the little red speaker sign with the line light up on your v1 display. With that light on press the volume down button till it's at 0. Now your v1 g2 is set at 0 volume for lock outs.

For issue #2. Go into jbv1 settings and go to display then scroll all the way to bottom till you see "v1 display" and turn that option to Auto. Doing this will make your detector screen stay off for muted alerts and locked out alerts. Soon as you get a real alert your v1 display will turn back on till the alert is gone.
Warning: don't freak out when your display is not displaying anything with this setting. It will automatically turn on with a real alert or new radar source.

Last edited:

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

JBV1 does not control the audio control directly out of the G2. Neither does V1 Driver. As I understand it. They will kill the display for K band lockouts. If you sort through the settings. @johnboy00 encouraged me and others to turn the mute volume on the G2 itself to zero... then use the phone or car audio for how you want the K band alerts to go. IF you want to rely on the app every time you use G2 (never running G2 without the app in full logic or “little l), and are ok with lockout or muted audio controls only through the phone or auto audio, give it a try. He responded to a post of mine on this speaking abiut the various features Using the phone for audio (and visual) alerts. You will have to go through a wide variety of screens to see them all and try the settings.

Does this make sense?

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
When there’s a lockout, I don’t want to hear or see anything from either the detector or the app.
Set muted volume to zero (either as described above or by selecting "mute to zero volume" in your current JBV1 profile), and set V1 Display to Auto in JBV1 settings (use the search icon at the top to quickly find things).

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
For you first issue. To have slient lockouts. Press and hold one of the volume buttons on your v1 till it give you the multiple beep sounds. While it's beeping press the power button aka mute button. You should see the little red speaker sign with the line light up on your v1 display. With that light on press the volume down button till it's at 0. Now your v1 g2 is set at 0 volume for lock outs.

For issue #2. Go into jbv1 settings and go to display then scroll all the way to bottom till you see "v1 display" and turn that option to Auto. Doing this will make your detector screen stay off for muted alerts and locked out alerts. Soon as you get a real alert your v1 display will turn back on till the alert is gone.
Warning: don't freak out when your display is not displaying anything with this setting. It will automatically turn on with a real alert or new radar source.
JBV1 does not control the audio control directly out of the G2. Neither does V1 Driver. As I understand it. They will kill the display for K band lockouts. If you sort through the settings. @johnboy00 encouraged me and others to turn the mute volume on the G2 itself to zero... then use the phone or car audio for how you want the K band alerts to go. IF you want to rely on the app every time you use G2 (never running G2 without the app in full logic or “little l), and are ok with lockout or muted audio controls only through the phone or auto audio, give it a try. He responded to a post of mine on this speaking abiut the various features Using the phone for audio (and visual) alerts. You will have to go through a wide variety of screens to see them all and try the settings.

Does this make sense?
Set muted volume to zero (either as described above or by selecting "mute to zero volume" in your current JBV1 profile), and set V1 Display to Auto in JBV1 settings (use the search icon at the top to quickly find things).

Thanks guys. I’ll give those a shot once I have my detector (hopefully next week).

Vancity23

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
:eyebrow:
17,700 miles on a serial# xxxxxx2000 March unit that sits outside 24/7 with no issues...
Valentine Research has already stated that the power-up issues were recognized and addressed as of March 23rd. Display issues were addressed last week. (I don't know yet if anyone has seen a new display.)
Where and how did Valentine recognize and address the power-up issues?

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Where and how did Valentine recognize and address the power-up issues?
Conversations with well-respected and reliable customers.

Last edited:

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

*Edit*
Oops, not you but Obi..
I had no rabbit. Unfortunately, rabbits are few and far between here. Usually there are some other mitigating circumstances though where even shaving a few MPH might get you the win. When running without a rabbit, I use a few tactics that generally work well to keep myself from roadside discos. I let off when cresting hills and going around blind corners into straighaways. On straightaways I keep tolerance a quick brake away and scan for LEO vehicles. Well, this guys was competely unmarked, with a vehicle not normally used and not in his normal jurisdiction.

In this case, I think I would have gotten away scott-free with a better warning. He was coming around a slight curve and at a higher elevation when he flipped it on so and there's cosine and the officers lock time to consider as well. Though I've done it in the past, whether I would have shaved just enough to squeak by this time is debatable but the poor alert definitely isn't.

There's a reason that LIDAR alerts sound like this.......

......and not like a single little blip. Alerts that scare the shit out of you get you on the brakes faster regardless of whether you think you are braking at the first blip. I was aware of this ramp problem since the first week that I owned this detector and I thought just like @Kennyc56 does. "I'll just brake at first blip". Well, easier said than done. I can JTK in under 3 seconds because ALPs scare the bejesus out of me but the V1 took 3 seconds to get to full ramp. Notice the first video laser false anchor drop. Figure in the GPS lag and see how fast I go from 70 to 56 MPH. About 2.5 seconds I'd say.

Many members have had a chance to view the complete video from my encounter from the other day. I may post an edited version in V1 or real world forums at some point.

Last edited:

SwankPeRFection

Corgi Lovers
Beginner User
Reaction score
You’re generally surprised the Uniden didn’t alert? Periscope rear shit that it has and even the ridiculous lidar sensor to begin with? 😬

Beemerchef

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just now placed my order for a V1G2. I thought about driving to Cincinnati to pick it up, but I ended up opting for next day air to my sisters house in Indiana where I’ll be vacationing next week.

I think I chose FedEx priority, so I’m assuming that means next day. IIRC, Valentine requires a signature. If no one is there to sign, I hope I can pick it up at FedEx.

Tomorrow I’m going to purchase a cheap Android phone so I can run JBV1. Should make for an interesting and fun drive back from my vacation.

I’m excited to use an app again to lockout stationary falses, and I hope V1’s built in filtering does a better job at blocking falses than my current R7.

The only reason I bought the R7 was for auto lockouts, so I’m disappointed that never came to fruition.

I received mine yesterday, I had chosen their regular delivery [still Fed Ex] and it arrived in 3 days. [New Mexico]. I was not here to sign so he left it inside my gate. I think that is more as a personal relationship with the driver. Small town here.

I like your idea of an inexpensive phone for JB1V2, which by the way is an incredible app. Not being very "computer savvy" I used today [300 miles] with Waze. I have three old phones but none will let the app install. Not compatible. My question is, will you be adding another phone to your plan? since you need cell reception. It would be nice to just leave that phone in the car permanently!

Anyhow, you will enjoy it for sure... the range is totally incredible. I pulled over once [before!] thinking I had made an error in my settings!

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I received mine yesterday, I had chosen their regular delivery [still Fed Ex] and it arrived in 3 days. [New Mexico]. I was not here to sign so he left it inside my gate. I think that is more as a personal relationship with the driver. Small town here.

I like your idea of an inexpensive phone for JB1V2, which by the way is an incredible app. Not being very "computer savvy" I used today [300 miles] with Waze. I have three old phones but none will let the app install. Not compatible. My question is, will you be adding another phone to your plan? since you need cell reception. It would be nice to just leave that phone in the car permanently!

Anyhow, you will enjoy it for sure... the range is totally incredible. I pulled over once [before!] thinking I had made an error in my settings!
Another option(recommended by JB) is to run an older higher end Android phone. You can get these from Amazon(renewed) with a warranty. They have sensors that the app uses to provide a higher level of performance. For example, my Samsung Galaxy S8 can auto kill my TMG laser jammers via Brake Force Detection(brake pedal). You can't do this with the less expensive new phones. I do run a separate data plan for JBV1--its that good and I don't even use a Valentine detector!

Beemerchef

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Another option(recommended by JB) is to run an older higher end Android phone. You can get these from Amazon(renewed) with a warranty. They have sensors that the app uses to provide a higher level of performance. For example, my Samsung Galaxy S8 can auto kill my TMG laser jammers via Brake Force Detection(brake pedal). You can't do this with the less expensive new phones. I do run a separate data plan for JBV1--its that good and I don't even use a Valentine detector!
Thank You. I figured that is what you do. Being retired, small town in central New Mexico even though I do drive a lot I cannot get into the extra expense of a separate data plan. I just have to use my existing phone. Appreciate.

Kennyc56

Ford Lover-I/O hater!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I had no rabbit. Unfortunately, rabbits are few and far between here. Usually there are some other mitigating circumstances though where even shaving a few MPH might get you the win. When running without a rabbit, I use a few tactics that generally work well to keep myself from roadside discos. I let off when cresting hills and going around blind corners into straighaways. On straightaways I keep tolerance a quick brake away and scan for LEO vehicles. Well, this guys was competely unmarked, with a vehicle not normally used and not in his normal jurisdiction.

In this case, I think I would have gotten away scott-free with a better warning. He was coming around a slight curve and at a higher elevation when he flipped it on so and there's cosine and the officers lock time to consider as well. Though I've done it in the past, whether I would have shaved just enough to squeak by this time is debatable but the poor alert definitely isn't.

There's a reason that LIDAR alerts sound like this.......

......and not like a single little blip. Alerts that scare the shit out of you get you on the brakes faster regardless of whether you think you are braking at the first blip. I was aware of this ramp problem since the first week that I owned this detector and I thought just like @Kennyc56 does. "I'll just brake at first blip". Well, easier said than done. I can JTK in under 3 seconds because ALPs scare the bejesus out of me but the V1 took 3 seconds to get to full ramp. Notice the first video laser false anchor drop. Figure in the GPS lag and see how fast I go from 70 to 56 MPH. About 2.5 seconds I'd say.

Many members have had a chance to view the complete video from my encounter from the other day. I may post an edited version in V1 or real world forums at some point.
I'm still sure if I would have been in that same situation, like I am almost every day, I would have dropped anchor at the first blip and and with the distance and the fact that he was coming out of that curve it would have taken him longer to get my speed than it would have taken me to scrub at least 10 mph or so. The killer thing about running these V1G2's is even though you didn't have a rabbit in this case, if you would have you would have known all about your little friend long before you got near that curve. At our test yesterday both @VariableWave 's and my V1G2's murdered an R1, R3, R7 and we won't even mention what they did to the mid price detectors on a crazy cornfield, tree and vegetation filled nightmare off an axis course. BTW, the R1, R3 and R7 belonged to us and we're both very proud of them! If I wasn't driving the car during the test I would't believe it myself! How is a detector going to have any kind of an I/O Q/T ramp if it's ghosting as soon as it gets hit? VR needs to fix these issues ASAP! Once they do, these damn things will be all out killers! Like I've said before, on ANY Ka alert I don't wait to judge the ramp, I treat it just like I treat a laser alert from my TMG's. Anchors away at the first bip, unless I'm ony running 10 over or less, then I'll just kick the cruise off and coast and scrub off just a little.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeziggy