Uniden DFR7 Ka filter - Reduce detection range or not?

OldtimeRadar

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Just curious about the Ka-filter option on the DFR7. - Does it noticeably reduce the range like the Ka-guard on V1 Gen1? Or do you just take a small hit in detection range when you enable it? Vortex radar suggests turning it on.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It delays the time to alert while it verifies if the signal is valid. Since you're moving while this occurs, it translates into distance traveled before it audibly alarms in the event it is a legitimate threat. It can translate into distance reductions of maybe 50 to 200 feet at most for constant on, depending on how fast you're traveling, but typically it is very trivial, all things considered. If you don't see I/O very often, then I recommend using Ka Filter to reduce the number of false positives caused by Satellite TV & Satellite Radio antennas you'll pass, as well as from interference caused by low quality Cobra & Whistler RADAR detectors being used by other motorists near by.

Just some food for thought with regards to distance covered over time at a few example speeds...

1 Mile = 5280 Feet

30 MPH = 44 feet per second
60 MPH = 88 feet per second
90 MPH = 132 feet per second
120 MPH = 176 feet per second

jonup

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Do we know how long is the delay due to Ka filter?

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to turn it on? There should be very few falses on Ka, I have never ran with a Ka filter if given the option to turn it off. I would turn it off unless there is a specific reason you need it on.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
For the Uniden R series, I believe when I did some bench testing at home, it was only about 1/4 of a second if I recall correctly.

zuul

harvester of sorrow
General User
Reaction score
switch to NZ firmware and segments. no filter needed.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joeziggy