Ohio drops front license plate requirement

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
this was passed a while ago, but went into effect today.

"Ohio drivers will no longer be drilling holes into the front of a new vehicle to mount a license plate as of Wednesday.

In the past, those without a front license plate could be charged with a minor misdemeanor and fined up to $100, and police could pull drivers over for the lack of a front plate.

A two-year state transportation budget approved last year included language to do away with the requirement for front license plates for most motor vehicles, including passenger vehicles. Rear plates will still be required for all vehicles and commercial tractors will still need a front license plate.

The change will likely impact many drivers. There were nearly 13.3 million vehicle registrations — including transfers — issued in Ohio last year, according to Lindsey Bohrer, assistant director of communications at the Ohio Department of Public Safety.

Ohio will be the 19th state to stop the requirement, joining those including Indiana and Kentucky.

For law enforcement, the front plate allows police to identify a vehicle as it’s coming toward them, said Trooper Jessica McIntyre, spokesman for the Ohio State Highway Patrol in districts that patrol areas including Dayton, Springfield and Xenia.

Removing the plate reduces the ability to identify a suspect by 50 percent, and vehicles are involved in 70 percent of crimes in the nation, she said.

“Not having a front license plate will create a challenge for law enforcement because officers will not be able to quickly identify a vehicle that may have been stolen or used in a crime by utilizing that front plate,” Cara Zinski-Neace, spokeswoman for the Dayton Police Department, said in a statement.

Still, McIntyre said she believes the change will not significantly impact officers’ ability to do their jobs, as they can still find information about the vehicle and owner with information from the rear plate.

“We adapt to changes. The patrol does and other agencies as well. So it doesn’t pose a problem,” McIntyre said. “We just adapt to the situation or what comes down as far as the legislature is concerned.”

She said doing away with the requirement will be a “breath of fresh air” for motorists, as many vehicles are not manufactured with a place for a front plate.

“That’s going to be a blessing to a lot of people, is that they don’t have to mess up their vehicles or pay for vehicles in order to have a front license plate on it,” McIntyre said.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

rider9195

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wish NY would adopt this as well.

Not sure if they have systems that can read front plates while driving down the road, seems like a silly excuse to still want front plates..

nomore55

PSL +10%
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Same here. The front plate just spoils the appearance of so many cars. Truly an eyesore.

DOCEX

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When I purchased my new Mustang the dealer told me that they do not install front plates, that was in 2007 and I have never been stopped for no front plate. This does make it more difficult for police using laser and plate readers.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
We have had no front plates for a long time now.

There was a bit of push back on that last year. Nothing came if it though.

Just to prepare yourself..... the push back was coming from the people that lived in rural properties. Gas and property thefts.

They claimed people would drive up their driveways to see if anyone was home.... then back out ..... and the property owners couldn’t identify the car because there was no front plates.

It didn’t gain any traction that I know of... but that argument did show up recently.

Just so you know. I’m glad we don’t have them. It’s been 10 years or more.

LaughingCrow

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I thought some of you might like to know about these guys. I have bought from them several times. They do great work

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
This does make it more difficult for police using laser and plate readers.
Plate readers, sure. But laser? Modern LIDAR guns will get readings off of a black grill with the headlights covered with black paper.

We have had no front plates for a long time now.

There was a bit of push back on that last year. Nothing came if it though.

Just to prepare yourself..... the push back was coming from the people that lived in rural properties. Gas and property thefts.

They claimed people would drive up their driveways to see if anyone was home.... then back out ..... and the property owners couldn’t identify the car because there was no front plates.
Solution: put cameras at the beginning of their driveway pointed toward the house, as well as on the house pointed toward the driveway. Since it's their property, they can put a camera anywhere they want and point it any direction they want.

Smirnoff

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Heard liberals are also trying to de-fund the rear plate. . . .:whoptc:

PY004

Director of Technical Operations
Administrator
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Call me weird, but I like the front license plate. I think it looks nice LOOOL

STS-134

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Call me weird, but I like the front license plate. I think it looks nice LOOOL
You just have to design a vehicle with the front plate in mind. Just like in the days of sealed beam headlights, everyone thought headlights looked ugly, and manufacturers tried to make pop-up headlights that would only have the bulbs visible if they were actively being used. Then they started to realize that the lights themselves could be an identifying feature of the car. I can easily identify Porsches and Teslas in my rearview mirror at night based on the look of the headlights alone.

protias

Retired CM enthusiast / Train Horn Advocate
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wish this would come to WI as well (as actual law and not a non-enforced one).

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I thought some of you might like to know about these guys. I have bought from them several times. They do great work

My used car came from a state with front plates. I used a set of there to fill the holes. It would be better if the holes never happened but they do look better.

LaughingCrow

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My used car came from a state with front plates. I used a set of there to fill the holes. It would be better if the holes never happened but they do look better.

I have had several from states with front plates and it always pisses me off.

Up All Night

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve already found a plate for the Wife’s car.
Looking for one for my car...
IMG_7123.JPG

Posted from my iPhone using the RDF Mobile App!

infiniti

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’m finally compliant.

Brian10956

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wish NY would adopt this as well.

Not sure if they have systems that can read front plates while driving down the road, seems like a silly excuse to still want front plates..
NY will never do Away with front plate. They always use the excuse that school bus drivers won’t be able to report cars that won’t stop for bus that’s picking up kids. It’s total BS as a very small percentage of passing school tickets are initiated by a report from driver. This particular problem could easily be fixed by equipping busses with cameras that record cars as they pass by and link it to the flashing red light device for synchronization of a new way to write tickets. I wouldn’t object to this as the kids need to be safe.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tonyz3