Turning off X and K bands in Lower Alabama.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I know we have discussed this before. But, I have never seen any police, sheriff or State Troopers use K band for radar in Mobile County. Since I am tired of having to snooze everything and listen to the tiny chirps of K and X all of the time; I turned off X and K band through the detector itself. And boy oh boy has it been quiet. Man it is quiet. Seems, as if they only use Ka around here locally. Do you guys think I should change the mode from baby l to Big L or A? I know that l is the advanced logic mode. And L is the logic mode. A is for Auto.

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I know we have discussed this before. But, I have never seen any police, sheriff or State Troopers use K band for radar in Mobile County. Since I am tired of having to snooze everything and listen to the tiny chirps of K and X all of the time; I turned off X and K band through the detector itself. And boy oh boy has it been quiet. Man it is quiet. Seems, as if they only use Ka around here locally. Do you guys think I should change the mode from baby l to Big L or A? I know that l is the advanced logic mode. And L is the logic mode. A is for Auto.
I would never turn off K band in Alabama. I know in the Mobile area, there are several smaller, surrounding cities. I assure you, you'll regret turning it off.

Last edited:

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I would never turn off K band in Alabama. I know in the Mobile area, there are several smaller, surrounding cities. I assure assure you, you'll regret turning it off.

Yeah but, I drive in Mobile almost all of the time. I can always turn on K band, if I head to Dauphin Island, Saraland, Satsuma, Pritchard, etc.

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah but, I drive in Mobile almost all of the time. I can always turn on K band, if I head to Dauphin Island, Saraland, Satsuma, Pritchard, etc.
I would definitely turn K back on. Forgetting to turn it on one day is all it takes. It's your detector. Do what you think is best, but I know that I would leave it on, even if you need to turn down the sensitivity. I've driven all over Alabama, (live just north of Montgomery), and there's just as much K band out there as Ka band.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're willing to turn K-band off, why not just trying turning it on and run big "L" (Advanced Logic) mode and see if that satisfies your desire for quiet.

midd

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
First and First, the Nexus of the Universe
I use JBV1 and with automatic profiles, I can toggle K band on and off automatically depending on where I'm driving. My town uses 33.8 except for the supervisors who run K. I use a profile for my town and keep the K range in the 24.190-24.206 range. When I'm out of town, the profile switches accordingly. It's a great feature!

Matthewstorm

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Using JBV1 with auto profiles is really the only way to go unless you like constantly manually switching.

BhamGuy

PSL +10
Advanced User
Reaction score
Haven't been down to Mobile in about two years, but like RadarScout, I wouldn't turn off K band. I run across it fairly regularly just tooling around the state in various places. I'm based in Birmingham, but travel through the state fairly regularly. Really, many places in Mississippi, Georgia and Louisiana too. Guess Ka 34.7 and 35.5 is most popular, but K band next, then 33.8. Never seen X.

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If you're willing to turn K-band off, why not just trying turning it on and run big "L" (Advanced Logic) mode and see if that satisfies your desire for quiet.
That could be an idea to try. I use V1Driver so I could try doing this. Interesting idea. I was always taught that the little "L" was somehow better. But, I can definitely try the big "L" and turn K back on.
Post automatically merged:

I use JBV1 and with automatic profiles, I can toggle K band on and off automatically depending on where I'm driving. My town uses 33.8 except for the supervisors who run K. I use a profile for my town and keep the K range in the 24.190-24.206 range. When I'm out of town, the profile switches accordingly. It's a great feature!

I never could figure out how to use JBV1. It was something else for sure. Don't get me wrong. It looks super cool and really neat. Just could not figure it out for the life of me and gave up on it.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
FWIW, both V1 Driver and JBV1 are set with popular options by default. I think there's just a lot of us touting all of the advanced options and it can get confusing. :)

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That could be an idea to try. I use V1Driver so I could try doing this. Interesting idea. I was always taught that the little "L" was somehow better. But, I can definitely try the big "L" and turn K back on.
Big "L" will be quieter. K-band range will be less than A mode or little "l", but it's way better than no K-band range at all. If you try it, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

DU5T3R

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Haven't been down to Mobile in about two years, but like RadarScout, I wouldn't turn off K band. I run across it fairly regularly just tooling around the state in various places. I'm based in Birmingham, but travel through the state fairly regularly. Really, many places in Mississippi, Georgia and Louisiana too. Guess Ka 34.7 and 35.5 is most popular, but K band next, then 33.8. Never seen X.
I agree with not turning K off. I thought it was irrelevant in the NW section of La, but I got hit with K by the local Sheriff dept. I'm okay with some false alarms to make sure I'm protected.

True2020Vision

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
... We're from North Kalifornia and South Alabam, and little towns all around this land ... We say Grace and we say Maam ... If you ain't into that, we don't give a damn ...

Trinity

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Turn k back on and give jbv1 another try or v1driver. I use jbv1 and it takes care of all the issues your noticing.

I would return the v1 g2 if there was no way to get GPS with it somehow.

DrHow

Going “Plaid” ASAP (Tesla S) RDT refugee
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

I never could figure out how to use JBV1. It was something else for sure. Don't get me wrong. It looks super cool and really neat. Just could not figure it out for the life of me and gave up on it.
V1Driver does not recommend full logic mode when using their app. For a variety of reasons, including accurate lock outs. Suggest you hit that section here in RDF. Lots of good data in there.

Big "L" will be quieter. K-band range will be less than A mode or little "l", but it's way better than no K-band range at all. If you try it, let us know how it goes.
@mswlogo generally recommendation suggests not running full logic mode when using V1Driver. Naked, I agree with your suggestion. With V1Driver, agree with his recommendation.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrswartz