NJ - Improper Left Turn ticket in New Brunswick

dhdeanha

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey,

I've just received a ticket in New Brunswick for an improper u-turn. I honestly didn't know it was illegal because people in my home town do it all the time.

When I got pulled over, I got super scared like I do everytime I get pulled over and basically said yes to everything he said.

One thing I remember is that he asked if I was doing it for convenience, which I said yes (looking back, I'm a dumbass)

Should I try to appear in court and ask for judge leniency, ask for another plea deal (I've already used one for speeding, unsafe operation of vehicle), or get a lawyer?

I have 0 knowledge of the court systems and municipal courts so any advice would help.

Gatortotz

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you could easily get away with talking with the judge and playing the "I was unaware of the rules, where I'm from they're slightly different, I will try to do better next time. I am hoping you will understand this mistake and provide leniancy." At some point mention you're a student and they should be very lenient on you. Also consider picking up a driver's handbook and you can let the judge know you've read up on the rules of the road for the locale.

When I was 16 I was pulled over for failing to yield to a pedestrian. The cop asked me if I knew why I was stopped, and I told him, "Ya because I didn't stop for that kid back there" - that's probably the absolute worst answer possible.
Thankfully, he asked me a followup question, "why not?" and that's when I told him that I didn't see the kid (who was probably 14ish) until after I was already going through the cross walk. Looking back on any encounter, there's always hindsight so don't beat yourself up too much. It's not like you get to practice being pulled over every day. I was respectful, had a small chat with the officer and ended up being let off with a verbal warning.

The next time you get pulled over, just be courteous, and take your time with your responses, add a couple of apologies in there. If you have a respectful attitude mixed in with a little bit of remorse and regret, you will get a lot of leeway. If you get busted though, don't try to bullshit them, they've heard it all. You have to remember, the guy/gal at the window is human. You're allowed to take a moment to compose your thoughts.

Last edited:

Shoe08057

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Not knowing which statute you were written up under or which road you were traveling, this is the premise of the "No U-Turn Law" in New Jersey.

NJ Statute §39:4-125

" 39 :4-125 . Turning on curve, grade or place where view obstructed or State highway marked with "no U turn" sign
Turning on curve, grade or place where view obstructed or State highway marked with "no U turn" sign. The driver of a vehicle shall not turn such vehicle around so as to proceed in the opposite direction upon any curve or upon the approach to or near the crest of a grade or at any place upon a highway as defined in R.S. 39 :1-1 where the view of such vehicle is obstructed within a distance of five hundred feet along the highway in either direction; and no such vehicle shall be turned around so as to proceed in the opposite direction on a highway which shall be conspicuously marked with signs stating "no U turn".
Amended by L. 1987, c. 81, s. 1."

You need to assess the road/area you were stopped and apply the rule of law as written, then you'll be able to determine the path to travel - fight, plead or plead down. Best of luck.

GTO_04

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would check your state traffic laws on U turns. In some jurisdictions they are legal unless there are signs there specifically prohibiting them. One time I made a U turn to get a parking spot and some undercover cop was angy because I took his parking spot lol. But there was not a damn thing he could do about it because it was legal there. YMMV of course.

GTO_04

fishing66

Advanced User
Reaction score
Should I try to appear in court and ask for judge leniency, ask for another plea deal (I've already used one for speeding, unsafe operation of vehicle), or get a lawyer?
NJ only allows you to enter this plea once. Lawyer up, Peter M. O'Mara. A friend did a [email protected]$$ thing while driving, got hit with multiple violations that would have resulted in license suspension and O'Mara got it tossed on a technicality.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrswartz