Hey y'all, I'm a student with two tickets within 2 years of getting my license

dhdeanha

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
South Jersey, college student

First ticket was doing 59 on a 35 mph road. He reduced it to 54. I went in person to prosecutor and asked for a plea deal for unsafe vehicle operation.

2nd ticket, was an improper u-turn in my school town. Didn't know it was illegal since in my home town I've seen LEOs do it all the time.

I'm here to learn more about the legal system about driving. And how to speed responsibly (everyone in NJ is normally doing 80-85). I also want advice on my 2nd ticket.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess the phrase "lawyer up" will be used. Hopefully they do student discounts!
I am sure people from your jurisdiction will chime in here or the other thread you started.
Welcome to the forums!

Maz3

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey only two tickets and you're in college; not doing too bad actually :laugh:

I was close to losing my licence for too many speeding tickets by that time of my life.

Lots here to learn about CM's, but also watch for things on situational awareness and techniques like using a rabbit, and watching for brake lights ahead just to name two.

Remember to share your experiences so we can all learn from each other.

Welcome!

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Prosecutors usually do not ever cut deals. This is why you pay a lawyer to go talk to the prosecutor. At least that is how it works in Alabama. Go see the judge and politely ask to go to driving school, don't admit fault or anything. If the judge asks and only if the judge asks then admit fault to speeding. They (the court) just want your money. Seriously nobody gives a shit about U-turns because everyone and your mom does it. LOL. Me and a police officer almost got into an argument over it because it is so lame. This cop was the size of Rambo, no lie. I am the size of Sheldon on The big bang theory. It was pretty funny. As the cop knew I was right. In some cities U-turns are illegal.

The name of the game is to keep points off of your license and speeding tickets off of your record.

Sorry to be so flippant. Its the truth. Just make sure no cops are behind you when you make a u-turn. Every cop out there will light you up for making a U-turn like they do. And never argue with them over anything. If you ever do get arrested, ask for a lawyer, don't admit shit, keep your mouth shut, and call dad for bail money.

RadarScout

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
A friend of a friend got a ticket in Montgomery, AL for doing a U-Turn on the boulevard. The guy told the cop, "There's no sign saying no U-turn." The cop told him, "We don't put signs in front of banks saying don't rob, either." The fine stood.
Read up and learn which detector is best for your driving habits and tools and techniques used where you drive.

milkman

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

Signal Environment

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Welcome! Lots of great advice and information here. You're not alone by any means. Many here had similar or worse track records by your age.

A good detector will pay for itself many times over, esp if you tend to have a bit of a heavy right foot. But nothing will ever give you carte blanche to drive as fast as you like. Driving smart is always part of the equation.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrswartz