Viofo 129 Pro Duo/Editing Software

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I just got this installed and have been playing with it. However, when I download a clip into iMovie on a 5 year old MacBook Pro, iMovie crashes and/or plays in a very choppy manner. It crashes bad enough that it is not useable. There are fixes on the Apple forums, but I don't know if I should just use another program. Thoughts?

My iPhone 11 Pro works great--I could just edit clips and post to YouTube with this too I suppose--I do not want to do more than edit for length and perhaps add some text.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't use MAC but I use OpenShot editor which I believe is available on MAC as well. It's free so you can give it a try and see of you like it. If you are only editing length, it's super easy and adding text isn't a big deal either after you get a little time under your belt.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Does it play smoothly in VLC? 4K can be a struggle for older computers. I upgraded from my older MacBook Pro specifically because I wanted to view and edit 4K footage and it really helped.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Does it play smoothly in VLC? 4K can be a struggle for older computers. I upgraded from my older MacBook Pro specifically because I wanted to view and edit 4K footage and it really helped.
Ahh, I am new to this. What is VLC? I wondered if maybe age of the machine was the issue.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

ARkaband

Safe Speeder
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like a hardware limitation. Even some newer computers will struggle with 4K video playback. Try VLC as Vortex mentioned and maybe back your camera down to 1080p (plenty good for most purposes).

SquirrelMaster

Likes Unicorns 🦄
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got a pretty powerful machine and it DOES NOT like 4k h265 files from my Blackvue.
I believe its specifically due to the encoding being h265 and that not being too friendly for editing but im not 100% sure here.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I've got a pretty powerful machine and it DOES NOT like 4k h265 files from my Blackvue.
I believe its specifically due to the encoding being h265 and that not being too friendly for editing but im not 100% sure here.
I remember reading about a h264 option--but I think it was in regard to memory/storage time. I'll look into that.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember reading about a h264 option--but I think it was in regard to memory/storage time. I'll look into that.
Yeah the A129 Pro records in h.264 by default. If you haven't messed with anything, that's what it's using. You can turn h.265 on for smaller file sizes, but it requires more processing power than h.264 does so I wouldn't do that if your computer is already struggling with h.264.

2018GTI

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah the A129 Pro records in h.264 by default. If you haven't messed with anything, that's what it's using. You can turn h.265 on for smaller file sizes, but it requires more processing power than h.264 does so I wouldn't do that if your computer is already struggling with h.264.
Thank you!
Post automatically merged:

Just started messing with some of the options you all suggested. 4K plays great with VLC.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Last edited:

henryr01

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I just completed a trip from Nashville, TN to Cape Coral, FL with some downtime in the Orlando area (Bonnet Creek). Just before the trip, I installed my A129 Pro. Didn't do the rear camera because I was afraid of the step window angle on the back hatch. Especially at night because of the dark tint.

All of my clips play perfectly on Win10. However I wanted to see all of the extended data that was captured, so I downloaded "Dashcam Viewer" from https://dashcamviewer.com/. Tried the free version long enough to realize that it was definitely worth $25 to register. VERY happy with it thus far.

As long as you already have the 4K codecs on Win10 like I do, you won't need to download the Dashcam Viewer recommended codecs.
Post automatically merged:

I forgot to add the screen capture.
202006191311.JPG

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerrun