Got my V1 G2 today and it's going back tomorrow!

lonerider

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Received it this evening,went out to car,plugged it in with supplied cigarette lighter cord.
After power up started getting x and ka alerts in garage and rear arrow stayed on.
When for a 30 min drive to check out A,L and little l modes and results are the same.This detector won't shut up!
I may reorder one in a few months if they get this mess straightened out.
Not a happy camper.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Received it this evening,went out to car,plugged it in with supplied cigarette lighter cord.
After power up started getting x and ka alerts in garage and rear arrow stayed on.
When for a 30 min drive to check out A,L and little l modes and results are the same.This detector won't shut up!
I may reorder one in a few months if they get this mess straightened out.
Not a happy camper.
X, I am unsure about, Ka could be from a Dashcam with Wifi capabilities.

mikedotd

Arrow Enthusiast
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Satellite antennas and some cell phone carriers can cause X-band falses when nearby an RD. Ka-band falses can happen if you have another RD running.

I wouldn't write off the V1G2 just yet. Maybe you got a bad unit, and if so send it back for repair and give it another shot. I've been running mine since mid-March without experiencing anything like this.

FWIW unless you're in NJ or some remote area where you know X-band is still in use, you can disable it.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing else in car,wouldn't shut up whole time.
Fw is 4.019 if that matters.
Do you have any cops in the neighborhood :D

To be honest, its the first I am reading about such behavior. I personally was playing with mine indoors next to one of my PCs and it kept alerting at 24.001. So I powered up my R7 which did the same. Was catching the 2.4 wireless harmonics I am assuming. Sometimes this happens with Ka, but not sure about X.

As for not shutting up, hard to say not having any video footage or comparison of another detector. So, agreed, if I am driving through a busy industrial site or CBD, you get lots of K falses, that is just the nature of the beast. If you're a fan of running apps with detectors, then something like JBV1 can automute K below a certain speed. There are also a host of other non-app ways you could quieten down your V1G2.

Perhaps read up here, and see if you want to give it another go, or maybe buy something else.

Good luck!

lonerider

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies to my post.I just went out to my garage and after the detector powers up it shows a ka rear alert that doesn't go away.I went so far as to turn my wireless router off,that made no difference.
Tried all 3 modes results are the same.I live in a small rural town and never had this issue with my 2 gen1 1
detectors.
My house and garage are aluminum sided and that should also keep rf interference at bay.
My test drive was out in the country and detector was sounding alerts the whole time.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies to my post.I just went out to my garage and after the detector powers up it shows a ka rear alert that doesn't go away.I went so far as to turn my wireless router off,that made no difference.
Tried all 3 modes results are the same.I live in a small rural town and never had this issue with my 2 gen1 1
detectors.
My house and garage are aluminum sided and that should also keep rf interference at bay.
My test drive was out in the country and detector was sounding alerts the whole time.
What is the frequency? Does your car have satellite radio? Are you running a dashcam? Where do you have the detector mounted?

If it's Ka, it's likely a weak harmonic. Even slightly repositioning the detector could be enough to get it to go away.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
Everyone so far has had great suggestions.

plug into a different car to see if other interference is present.

If truly this is what’s going on then give them a call and tell them what’s happening and they’ll make it right for you.

lonerider

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I've attached 2 log files from jbv1 if anyone is interested.
The car i used was a 1997 Lincoln Mark8.
The cigarette lighter is always powered on and i get the ka rear alert while car is in garage not running.
Also if alert is coming from rear,i should see arrows change when i manually rotate the detector but that isn't happening.

Attachments

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The cigarette lighter is always powered on and i get the ka rear alert while car is in garage not running.
Also if alert is coming from rear,i should see arrows change when i manually rotate the detector but that isn't happening.
That's some crazy alerts from those logs. If you have had another RD before this without those alerts definitely return it. Hard to know what could cause that unless its malfunctioning.

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd call up VR tomorrow and have them exchange it for you. Certainly sounds like somethings off.

benzr

Been there done that !! Original V1 user !!
Advanced User
Reaction score
detectors.
Sounds like the antennae is cold soldered= bad batch = assembled at 5:30pm FRIDAY before a Holiday !! Seriously.

I have had a v1g1 go bad that way. 😡😡
EXACTLY as you described it. Do please take a Video so we can analyze it b4 it goes back to the mothership. NEVER heard of that behavior straight out of the box ... ever.

Benzr

NJWonderer

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
In my area the only threat is Ka. They use K in some smaller remote townships.

I have turned X and K completely off on the Valentine and it seems to be rather quiet...

thanks

for all the fish
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it the same with/without the app? How about no phone/app of off a 12v power supply?

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be that Lincoln too - My 1st V1 would false on one in the driveway when nose to nose

camkuhns

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Premium Member
Reaction score
This sort of thing happened with my VG1. We purchased a van earlier this year and my VG1 was continually picking up a Ka signal in the 34.9 frequency range. I used the Euro sweeps in my V1 app to get my unit to not pick up that signal.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerrun