POLL: R7 132.140 Friendly Neighbourhood K Band Test

Is there any reason DC Fluid should not revert his R7 back to 129.129 firmware?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Wanted to compare sensitivities or delays with the prototype firmware 132.140 on the R7 I received back from repair.
Previous videos showed considerable delays to reaction times when K Filter was on or TSF was on or both on, compared to the firmware in my second R7 129.129.
For this test I had two R7s set up identical other than firmwares.
I used the same mount in the same vehicle, changing from detector R7A (132.140) to detector R7B (129.129) on every run.
So how the runs were done in chronological order was R7A, R7B, R7A, R7B.
2 runs per detector on each setting.
Radar gun was Bushnell Velocity K Band 24.125-24.126Ghz.
Gun was located in my basement window, 36" above ground level, angled at 45 degrees measured with carpenters square, shooting out over my lawn and flower beds, pointing up the street to the direction I was to approach from.
1 set of new Duracells were intalled at start of test.
Because my time was so short to do this test and I rotated between detectors on every run I didn't refresh batteries like when I use rechargeables.
I'm simply comparing the effects between the two different firmwares, not shooting for max distance measurements.
I have an average difference calculated from the runs on the difference between the two detectors.
Enjoy the results and realize this 132.140 firmware is a work in progress and will not be a version released to the public.
No one knows when new R7 firmware will be released.
FNKBT1.png
FNKBT2.png

Post automatically merged:

@Vortex I would like to bring to attention the differences in detection average ranges to the Beta testers/Uniden.
I would immediately load 129.129 onto detector A and run it against B again to see if there is a detector difference or just firmware. But no way to revert back to continue on 132.
So that will have to wait to see if I have a hot and cold R7 going on.

4 of the top 5 detections is detector B 129.129.
The pattern continues throughout testing.

Detector A is the one I have an extended additional 3 years warranty on for 4 years total.
I would like that back the way it was instead of having it's lunch stolen by my new refurb unit. :p

Thanks to @ferius for the RD Test app that makes it so easy to do stuff like this in a few hours one morning!

Last edited by a moderator:

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Good job and thats a lot of data. I assume as you add filtering you lose range so the trade is false to real balance so we can make it as quiet as we are willing to go. I have a couple of areas I know they use K, the rest is Ka so most of the time I favor filtering but not too much. TSF on, Advanced 70%, rear balance 70%.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@DC Fluid - Thanks for your time and effort testing. It's too bad you couldn't switch fw on the detectors to see whether it is a detector difference or a fw difference. That said, with the delay, I could see it being a fw issue. Don't know for sure as I advised them about the delay early on and never tested it for range. There is a reason that fw was never officially released and they are onto the next version already. ;) That said, trying to improve BSM filtering doesn't come for free.

Last edited:

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm haven't voted, but here's my 2 cents. I really don't see much value in range testing or reactivity testing with this 132.140. It's not released fw nor will it ever be. If you want to show/tell people about some of the new features it has, that can be worthwhile as I would expect the released fw to still have those new features.

So if you want to do the later, I'd say leave it at 131.140 for now (not sure I'd run it as my daily, though). Once the new fw is released, you can always check one detector against the other for range/reactivity, and you can always go back to 129 with either or both of them if you want.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I'm haven't voted, but here's my 2 cents. I really don't see much value in range testing or reactivity testing with this 132.140. It's not released fw nor will it ever be. If you want to show/tell people about some of the new features it has, that can be worthwhile as I would expect the released fw to still have those new features.

So if you want to do the later, I'd say leave it at 131.140 for now (not sure I'd run it as my daily, though). Once the new fw is released, you can always check one detector against the other for range/reactivity, and you can always go back to 129 with either or both of them if you want.
At this time I only think the value would be to display possible new features.
K Extended, K rear mute, are interesting to me but locally not necessary unless I go travelling, which I can still cover off with 129.129
I'm strongly inclined to revert to 129 because I'm already fatigued with choosing which detector to take with me every day.
I would prefer to have 1 set up for motorcycle and one for truck and leave them assigned to those vehicles. (I change several menu items when swapping)
132 takes a bit of the trust factor out of my ride and makes me develop a twitch.LOL.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@DC Fluid Then I'd just revert back. ;) And then test to see if they detect K-band at about the same distance.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
My feelings, yes revert.
I'm offering the chance for request to display a function that I may have missed previously.
Going off the list from BRD I believe there isn't anything else I would be able to accurately display or report on.
How do I accurately report BSM changes when I already have a low occurence on 129, and it's just luck of the draw running into them?
So I give it a week and if no interest in any display then 129 it is.
Then I can do a head to head comparison of my original R7 vs the "hot" new refurb R7.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Perhaps if my refurb R7 continues to display a 6% advantage after "factory reconditioned" I will ship it to Vortex for the next Red Barn test and pad the numbers in R7 favour.:D:D:D

nitroburn

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Wanted to compare sensitivities or delays with the prototype firmware 132.140 on the R7 I received back from repair.
Previous videos showed considerable delays to reaction times when K Filter was on or TSF was on or both on, compared to the firmware in my second R7 129.129.
For this test I had two R7s set up identical other than firmwares.
I used the same mount in the same vehicle, changing from detector R7A (132.140) to detector R7B (129.129) on every run.

Sorry if it has been addressed, but have you opened the units and examined them for any potential build differences? I know I have an R7 that was never ready to leave the factory yet somehow made its way to me. I should have RMA'ed it but KMPH wouldn't give a bill of sale so not much I could do. Fixed it myself, as expected still crap against any laser alerts (not that it actually matters as much unlike with the V1 where the scatter has saved me more than my ALP). Testing RF is different than laser, but there was also some crud in the way of the horns that potentially could have had an impact if it were to be run in comparison to a second unit. I personally would crack em open and take as detailed photos as possible and examine for differences. So long as you don't break it with a hammer, opening the housing doesn't violate a warranty, even if they did put a sticker saying such. That is a whole other topic though, lol.

I'd just be interested to see as detailed and as many photos of both as possible even to compare to my unit. Not a peep from it yesterday when flying down the highway and multiple dragon eye guns were lighting up cars. It was a lucky day though, and I know better than to drive on the right-hand lane where they set up traps as the chances of you getting to pass are slim (talking a 80km/h zone). Anyway, thanks to V1 gen 1 for the alert way in advance. (ALP not currently installed, planning on selling as I don't drive enough where laser is used, it is all pacing in the city here. That said, not even cruise control can save you from them seeing things that didn't happen through vehicles and pulling you over. Sorry, I keep getting off-topic but the stories of my encounters are part of why I can no longer enjoy driving as even obeying every law still has me getting massive tickets for events that are utter fantasy. Dash Cam > Radar for me right now, beat every court case and exposed repeat illegal police activity. Well, time to go drive to the post office and see what happens this time :\

(is there a download of this firmware? I tried looking but I may be blind. Darn, you're in Prince George, I'm in Surrey or I could have dumped the firmware from the detector if that hasn't already been done)

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
With 3 years of warranty left on detector A and 11 months on detector B I wasn't too keen on cracking them open when they are both great performers.
Maybe after they're both running the same firmware and one detector shows a measureable advantage over the other then I might take a peek.
The 132.140 firmware is not public and I got it by mistake during a repair.
I haven't seen anyone post a possible download of R7 firmware from the detector itself.
The real test will be whatever firmware is eventually released vs. 129.129 and see if it is worth upgrading.
At least with 2 detectors it will be easy to compare official firmwares, I could even take the laptop to the field test and swap versions between detectors and run tests again.
Nice features in the newer firmware, but the most talked about improvement will be if BSM filtering can be improved significantly without hindering class leading K band detections.

Heywood

Learning Something New, Still Dying Stupid
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
No sense cracking open a detector for a FW that will never see the light of day for anyone other than a select few and DC Fluid. Lol.

It gives you an idea of how many swings and misses happen by the FW numbers. At least we get a glimpse that they are working on stuff..... most of us just have no idea what, or how often.

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Well apparently I'm not in the circle of trust, 132 was a shock to me. Not so much to many others out there.:c00l:

DC Fluid

Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So far the most reponses have been to leave firmware 132.140 on just for fun.
Followed by just leave it on because I have a second one that has 129.129 and use that one.
I'm really feeling it to revert back to 129 for both because it's inconvenient changing settings specific to motorcycle or truck, plus the better performance for K band on 129 is important.
It has been fun though.
I'm thinking keep it as is until I get an incoming K and Ka band police radar unit that I can run more tests, and then revert for a hardware comparison.
More data points and bands to compare with then.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmednofal