R3 Advanced Mode for Reducing Falses

Sean

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been pouring over the threads on using advance mode on my new R3 to reduce falser on K and X band. I see Vortex recommends 70%. I found 70% very chatty on X and K, both. Am in CT but make trips to and through NJ and NYC on occasion.

I think I read that using City mode was too much and would leave me without good protection. I also think I read that reducing X and K to, say, 60% would not affect range at all.
Are those ideas of mine correct?

Also, does using MRCD ON increase falses on K band?

I am running K wide. I don't want to miss a police signal completely. Otherwise, I pretty much have Vortex's suggestions implemented. I have the latest firmware.

So, am going to test at 60% for K and X band, both. I don't plan on messing with Ka band, as there's a lot of that 'round here.

Would you all wade in and help me wrap my head around this?

Cheers,

Sean

XSWG

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
MRCD detection increased falses for me. I used the advanced settings from Vortex Radar. Only difference is I leave X band on with 50% sensitivity, K band 80% and my Quiet ride is set to 30mph.

Most of my falses are BSMs but it's significantly decreased in occurrence since the last update and as I've added more user memory mutes.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's only so much you can do to filter out false alerts. You've got low speed muting, GPS lockouts, TSF, K Narrow, and so on. They help, but they won't eliminate everything.

Advanced Mode 70% is a reasonable starting point. If you need a quieter detector and are okay sacrificing a little more range, you can dial the sensitivity back more. The more you dial it back, the less range you'll have for all signals (real and false) and you'll also start cutting out any weak / distant signals.

Sean

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
There's only so much you can do to filter out false alerts. You've got low speed muting, GPS lockouts, TSF, K Narrow, and so on. They help, but they won't eliminate everything.

Advanced Mode 70% is a reasonable starting point. If you need a quieter detector and are okay sacrificing a little more range, you can dial the sensitivity back more. The more you dial it back, the less range you'll have for all signals (real and false) and you'll also start cutting out any weak / distant signals.
In Connecticut driving New England and the Eastern seaboard down to Maryland, should I use K wide or will K narrow suffice? I don't want to be exposed to LEO radar.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Sean

thesilverbullet

Clemson Tigers
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
city mode with r series will serve you well with plenty of range - several Vids showing excellent range.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In nearly every test the R3 at Advanced K50% has detection ranges of other brands best Highway(100%) settings.
R3 can easily run K 40-50% and have faith that your range is exceptional like highway mode. Set at 100% it is truly Extreme range.
Advanced K 30% can really be a great urban setting, saving city mode for those really bad areas like downtown metropolis.
K Filter On.
TSF On
K Narrow
Quiet Ride 30mph
K Pop Off
Learn to lockout a stationary repeat false alert. Double tap the mute button when the first few beeps occur and it will be quiet until signal is lost.
Because of the detector range you may have to repeat for strong signals returning from the opposite direction.

Turn X Band Off unless you have a confirmed threat.
MRCD(CT) should be Off unless you are in NYC or a place that has those cameras, which are covered mostly anyways by your Red Light and Speed Cameras setings set to On.
It's a great detector! Have fun!

bluehemi

4 more years 🤣
Advanced User
Reaction score
I run mine
K narrow
TSF on
K filter on
Advanced 50%
Ka Narrow
QR 40 MPH
Automute 2

Its been nice and quiet for me, hardly any bsms, if you want, also set K band tone to a more mellow tone, as tone 2 is pretty shrill when going off all the time.

Sean

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
In nearly every test the R3 at Advanced K50% has detection ranges of other brands best Highway(100%) settings.
R3 can easily run K 40-50% and have faith that your range is exceptional like highway mode. Set at 100% it is truly Extreme range.
Advanced K 30% can really be a great urban setting, saving city mode for those really bad areas like downtown metropolis.
K Filter On.
TSF On
K Narrow
Quiet Ride 30mph
K Pop Off
Learn to lockout a stationary repeat false alert. Double tap the mute button when the first few beeps occur and it will be quiet until signal is lost.
Because of the detector range you may have to repeat for strong signals returning from the opposite direction.

Turn X Band Off unless you have a confirmed threat.
MRCD(CT) should be Off unless you are in NYC or a place that has those cameras, which are covered mostly anyways by your Red Light and Speed Cameras setings set to On.
It's a great detector! Have fun!

Double-tap mute is great to know, because I was pressing Mark and seeing no results. What is Mark for anyway? It occupies a position of prominence on the detector, so must be important.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Mark
It's for you to mark a location that the detector alerts to every time you go there.
So you can get an alert of a location of a common speed trap or hazard.
Go into the menu, move backwarks to "Delete Marked Location's" and press menu to clear those.
Mute Memory is your lockouts of stationary false signals that you don't want alerting.
See here on how the feature works

NorEaster18

Bad Actor
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
@Sean whereabouts in CT are you driving? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly.

For the 4 years I lived down there, K band was very sporadic. I know of a few municipalities that use it regularly, but you may be able to lower sensitivity if you avoid those areas.

If you spend any time in MA, you'll need to bump it back up due to the broad use of K band by locals and MA State Police. I also highly recommend K Wide in MA

Sean

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@Sean whereabouts in CT are you driving? You can PM me if you don't want to talk about it publicly.

For the 4 years I lived down there, K band was very sporadic. I know of a few municipalities that use it regularly, but you may be able to lower sensitivity if you avoid those areas.

If you spend any time in MA, you'll need to bump it back up due to the broad use of K band by locals and MA State Police. I also highly recommend K Wide in MA
Hi, I'm in Tolland County, but I drive a fair bit in Hartford and Litchfield Counties. I'd love to know which towns here run K.

I have two kids in college in MA, where I've run into county/local PD using K-band, and another in Philly, and while NJ State Plod run Ka band, the locals seem to run X, I think? Maybe K, too?

I'd love to have the free cash for an ALP, because CT and MA state troopers run laser as well as KA, but that's a convo for a different day. ;)

Thanks,

Sean

Mark
It's for you to mark a location that the detector alerts to every time you go there.
So you can get an alert of a location of a common speed trap or hazard.
Go into the menu, move backwarks to "Delete Marked Location's" and press menu to clear those.
Mute Memory is your lockouts of stationary false signals that you don't want alerting.
See here on how the feature works
Thanks! I don't think I'll be using that much, but it's good to know. Am checking out your link now. Sean

Euurx

Cat Lover
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been pouring over the threads on using advance mode on my new R3 to reduce falser on K and X band. I see Vortex recommends 70%. I found 70% very chatty on X and K, both. Am in CT but make trips to and through NJ and NYC on occasion.

I think I read that using City mode was too much and would leave me without good protection. I also think I read that reducing X and K to, say, 60% would not affect range at all.
Are those ideas of mine correct?

Also, does using MRCD ON increase falses on K band?

I am running K wide. I don't want to miss a police signal completely. Otherwise, I pretty much have Vortex's suggestions implemented. I have the latest firmware.

So, am going to test at 60% for K and X band, both. I don't plan on messing with Ka band, as there's a lot of that 'round here.

Would you all wade in and help me wrap my head around this?

Cheers,

Sean

I always run K wide and 100% mostly Highway on and turn off X for me primarily K band is used locally, even then it's not as chatty.

EDIT: I've driven with 70% K band sensitvity, and I almost got cucked by a LEO with i/o

NorEaster18

Bad Actor
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in Tolland County, but I drive a fair bit in Hartford and Litchfield Counties. I'd love to know which towns here run K.

I have two kids in college in MA, where I've run into county/local PD using K-band, and another in Philly, and while NJ State Plod run Ka band, the locals seem to run X, I think? Maybe K, too?

I'd love to have the free cash for an ALP, because CT and MA state troopers run laser as well as KA, but that's a convo for a different day. ;)

Thanks,

Sean

Thanks! I don't think I'll be using that much, but it's good to know. Am checking out your link now. Sean

I have personally confirmed K Band in the following towns:
Southbury
Redding
Naugatuck
Orange
Cheshire
New Hartford

My buddy also thinks Middlebury may have recently acquired some Stalker Patrols, but I have no confirmation of that. Almost everything else I have seen has been 34.7. That seems to be the most common threat in the state outside of lidar. But in fairness, I lived down on the shore in New Haven and wasn't as frequently up in the northern counties.

And along with that, I usually drop my R3 down a little in sensitivity when traveling in CT. I've gone as low as 50-60%

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
K set at 50% should be sufficient for reasonable K band protection. As for other settings, I'd run wide until you know what K-band frequencies you are up against. Turn off MRCD if you don't need it. Once you get comfortable with the frequencies around you, you may want to try K Narrow and K-Block On (for Hondas).

Last edited:

Sean

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I set K and X to 50%. I've Locked out stationary falses in my area. I've found I do get some K falses from Hondas/Acuras still. All-in-all, though, the R3 is doing great and falsing way, way, way less than the 9500ix it replaces and the iX I have in the other car. :)

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jln