ALP Heads Placement on Saab

SonofaBoog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thinks.

I've got a Saab i'm looking to install the ALP on and there's a couple places it looks like the heads could go
But i'm not sure which specific spots would be optimal for coverage
Any input would be appreciated

I'm not sure if there's a specific radius that the Rx heads are supposed to cover, or how exactly it works
I attached a picture with the yellow square as the only place for the Tx head, but then two sets of red rectangles for the Rx heads

Which pair would do better?

5cdb825b48_640.jpg

Last edited:

Ohioluck

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The rx heads are supposed to have a 24 inch radius. My opinion is the two rx should be on the upper side next to the headlights. Both spots look good but the lower spots look hard to install. With measurements it would be easier to say.

Holla

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Top spots---not the lower

SonofaBoog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Ok. So basically, the location the transmitter is in is about 23 to 24 inches from the ground. So taking that into consideration and the 24 inch radius, it sounds like the spots up by the headlights would be more than enough coverage for the Rx heads.

And the lower spots aren't that difficult to install. Maybe just cutting out a couple spots with a rotary tool, but sounds like it makes more sense up in the grilles.

Actually didn't realize until after, but someone else posted a post similar to this and everybody was saying the same thing. To put the Rx heads up in the side grilles. Makes sense.

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Have you not seen radar Roy's car? Earlier model, but down low and seems to do the trick according to this video...
Post automatically merged:

Hmmm... Wanted to follow up that comment with the video, but cannot locate it. If I find it I'll post.
That said... On my search I found this...
Post automatically merged:

Found it.

Last edited:

SonofaBoog

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
@Saussie I'd be curious to see that setup on that Aero tested with different laser guns in different situations. It sounds like up in the side grilles and the main grille are still probably the best bet, unless someone does that and tests it out with the results and puts it online.

V1Jake

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Top red for RX and that yellow for TX. I have my front RX heads horizontal with a TX in the center and it performs flawlessly on my 3 series

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Only one way to find out ha!
Look at the front of lots of cars. Many different shapes and profiles, heights, widths. Research and go for a walk around junkyards with tape measure and gauge the average ride height for ideas. Majority of the time people can make it work, but seems to be that last 10-15% of tweaking and fine tuning, maybe some very careful angling, levelling and positioning. Then testing... All adds up...
Think someone said on here the rx beam is 15 degrees but find out for sure if that helps.
Don't bank that both grills sit the same either. Don't be surprised if you find a few millimetres difference in pitch or something from heat stress or curb clipping. Spirit level is your friend.

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Also, to reinforce your junkyard visit, pickup a second set of grills if they clip in and out easy. Good if you have to chop stuff and make a mistake, as well as being able to sit them on a bench and figure out how you'll attach them. The blades might be angled down for air scoop or something, which might not make it easy. Plus if you don't make a cutting error, you can permanently mount to a grill and remove the whole thing by disconnecting the cable at the connector, pulling the grill out and swapping it should you need to switch back for whatever reason. Presuming you're self installing and into diy?

Last edited:

Saussie

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Forgot to add.
The Saab emblem.
Sort of looks like a griffin.
But looks more like a mad rooster with a party hat on.
Either way same difference.

Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgerrun