Upgrade from the Uniden R3

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
@OBeerWANKenobi provided excellent pics. I have also seen cops parked parallel to the road that have the door slightly open and are shooting LIDAR at oncoming cars but usually this is stance used for permanent mounted RADAR as OBeer stated.

@EastCoast your R3 is an excellent and highly respected detector. You can get a bit more range out of an R7 or a V1G2 but it starts to be a case of diminishing returns. If the money is no object and you just want something new I'd suggest the G2 if you aren't facing MRCD/MRCT. If there's no rush I'd be inclined to see what happens with Theia. Full disclosure, I've used V1 for years and immediately dropped the cash for the G2 upon its release with the expectation of doing the same when Theia arrives. No buyer's remorse here.

EastCoast

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
So guys I was just leaving from a family members house and my radar detector went off there was a New York trooper coming on the opposite side of the road and my radar went off for about 3 seconds As soon as he got close to me head to head on the opposite side of the road it stopped beeping any suggestions why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I/O radar most likely.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Where the LEO has the radar gun on standby and then switches it on for a second or two or three (just long enough to get a reading) and then shuts it off.

moneychanger

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I/O is instant on. It is where the radar beam/signal is turned on and turned off. It is a method the police use to avoid detection by motorists using radar detectors. With C/O (constant on), the radar is sending out a signal continuously. This is much easier to pick up long before you encounter the radar gun. With I/O, he chooses selective targets, and transmits the radar signal only when he is tracking an individual target/vehicle. He may not 'shoot' a vehicle for a minute or two, thus there is no signal to detect until maybe he is shooting you.

EastCoast

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I/O is instant on. It is where the radar beam/signal is turned on and turned off. It is a method the police use to avoid detection by motorists using radar detectors. With C/O (constant on), the radar is sending out a signal continuously. This is much easier to pick up long before you encounter the radar gun. With I/O, he chooses selective targets, and transmits the radar signal only when he is tracking an individual target/vehicle. He may not 'shoot' a vehicle for a minute or two, thus there is no signal to detect until maybe he is shooting you.
Kinda like the sniper method I head cops do that with radar guns ..but this cop was driving towards me thank you for explaining

moneychanger

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Kinda like the sniper method I head cops do that with radar guns ..but this cop was driving towards me thank you for explaining

It might have even been a case that he simply turned of the radar gun at that moment. Just the same you might want to confirm the operation of the R3.

EastCoast

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
It might have even been a case that he simply turned of the radar gun at that moment. Just the same you might want to confirm the operation of the R3.
That’s what I’m saying maybe my r3 is defected

moneychanger

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
You might want to get with a fellow Forum member who has a radar gun(s) and run some tests. Just ask for help.

EastCoast

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Is anyone here how can I post a video ???

RayC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Upgrade to the R7 if anything. Barely over 400 now and has everything built in.

Brainstorm69

TXCTG - 2016 MOTY
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Classic instant on.
your detector did the best it could just like any of the others would do.
sniper method as you said.
your detector is still strong and detecting well.
Thanks for uploading.
Unless his R3 just got confused by him using the K-band alert sounds for Ka... :laugh:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef