V1G2 can get hot enough to burn you while driving

FuzzBusterDale

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how hot the case can be during the day? Even when the case is relatively cool it can still be pretty hot inside. But, if you use the V1G2 during the day and take it out of the car it can almost burn your skin. The case itself hasn't fallen apart or anything.

Deadhead1971

Rock, rock, roll, Plymouth Rock, rollover
Advanced User
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how hot the case can be during the day? Even when the case is relatively cool it can still be pretty hot inside. But, if you use the V1G2 during the day and take it out of the car it can almost burn your skin. The case itself hasn't fallen apart or anything.
My Uhiden R1 is black and would get so hot, it would burn your hand /fingers trying to remove it off the windshield in the summer. I haven’t noticed the V1 getting as hot. I don’t leave it up when not in the car. The Uniden was plastic, and the V1 is metal. I was never good at science but black absorbs light, and metal heat transfers probably better than plastic. Point a laser at a black object, and the beam shrinks to about nothing.

Heat apparently is not an issue on any of these detectors- most / brands come in black. I think a tan, beige, or white cover would definitely reflect the heat better and keep the unit cooler. I assume black is used because it’s harder to see in the car (Stealth) but if it’s on the windshield, it sticks out like a sore thumb because the suction cups are very visible from the exterior.

fishing66

Lord of the Pies
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you have an IR gun? It would be interesting to see what the temps on your V1 are and if other users are seeing the same thing.

Bloovy One

"Today didn't have to end in eels"
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea!

CobawLT2010

Land of the quarantined, home of the afraid.
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My V1G1 can burn if left in direct sunlight but the magnesium case should be decently cool on the inside. At least that’s how I understood the choice of material.

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I definitely have noticed my G2 gets pretty warm. I wouldn't say enough to literally burn me but it was noticeably warm when I was messing with it the other day in otherwise normal cabin temps.

It's out on loan at the moment but I can do some temp checks on it when I get it back.

MarvC

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My wife is still using a STI Driver,she doesn’t speed and a sense of security. It stays on the dash all the time during the Texas summers, I’ve talked to her until I’m blue in the face about taking it down when not in use.
You can cook an egg on the top portion it gets so hot, yet it still works as well, as the day we purchased the unit.
Its going to die eventually, but it just keeps on going...

Vancity23

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
How do you know it is pretty hot on the inside?

V1Jake

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My gen 1 did get very hot in the summer but that is normal for a device such as a detector and you do have to consider the material it is made out of. Dedicate a vent to keep cool air on it if it bothers you. All electronic devices do have thermal limits on them and if there was an issue with the detectors getting close to those limits of exceeding them then the manufacturers would have mentioned it.

To aid in keeping the detectors cool keep a vent on them, add a tint strip to the top which reduces the sun beating down greatly and always take down the detector when not in use if you wish to increase longevity.

SaratogaLefty

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
My V1Gen2 was getting extremely hot. About two weeks ago we had a day where the temp reached 100 degrees. The car was out in the sunshine for over 4 hours. When I returned the case was too hot to touch. I did some research on this forum and decided to get an eyebrow tint on the top of the windshield. I went with Xpel XR Black at 5%. Yesterday was the first day I remounted the G2 on the tint strip as I was told to let it cure/dry for 3-4 days. It was in the 90's and again the car sat out in the sunshine for over four hours (round of golf). When I got into the car I put my hand on the G2 and it was warm but not overly hot. The tint strip did the trick. I also tested laser reception with my golf laser rangefinder and it worked so very happy with my decision to install the tint strip.
One other point about the tint strip. I have my G2 hardwired and with the tint strip the G2 is not noticeable unless you look very closely.

GTO_04

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
My wife is still using a STI Driver,she doesn’t speed and a sense of security. It stays on the dash all the time during the Texas summers, I’ve talked to her until I’m blue in the face about taking it down when not in use.
You can cook an egg on the top portion it gets so hot, yet it still works as well, as the day we purchased the unit.
Its going to die eventually, but it just keeps on going...

My Magnum will fail on K band detection if I leave it in a parked car on the windshield on a hot day. Once it cools off it will start detecting again, but there is no warning or error message when this happens. So you are right in telling your wife to take it off of the windshield in the heat.

GTO_04

R4D4RUS3R

RADARUSER
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tint the whole windshield on my cars. Well, my wife car and my car I won't do the kids. It cuts the heat in the cabin quite a bit and I have all of the other glass tinted as well. 99% UV protection and a big heat reduction. I don't have the V1G2 yet but my R7 does not get very hot. Its tucked up as high as it will go into the fritz. High enough the auto light sensor does not work. Wife has the Pro M thats tucked up but hitting the mute button for her the other day it was smoking hot in a cool car. I guess some just seem to feel hotter than others.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
I tint the whole windshield on my cars
Cars won't pass inspection in NC with ANY tint at all on the windshield. If you use a strip and it's below the AS1 Line then fail once again.

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I do think you can use the UV blocking only tint on the windshield here. It's still clear. (95% I guess)

gorgid

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Beginner User
Reaction score
I'm in Florida. Usually detectors get very hot. Yesterday, i got message on RedLine 360C that's detectors is overheated and needs shutdown. I never had it on 360, 360c, R7 or V1G2.

surprisinguy

Government can only give what it takes...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Tint darkness for sedans:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line or top 5 inches.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

Source: https://www.tinting-laws.com/north-carolina/

DocTJ

PSL + X= 100
Premium Plus
Advanced User
Reaction score
Let’s keep in mind too that for the tint, there are some that have metallic or ceramic qualities which may/may not affect windshield detector ability

Bloovy One

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last edited:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads