Beginners Demo Video Guide to Uniden Features and Setup

DC Fluid

Planning ahead, always behind.
Advanced User
Reaction score
Hi All,
I thought of doing some useful public service and demonstrate some functions of the Uniden R series detectors, specifically the R7.
Today I made short videos showing what the Quiet Ride feature does for you on a busy radar polluted street.
Next I demostrate what the Mute button will do to an alert.
Then the Mute Memory function (double tap Mute button) that locks out door openers and other false sources from alerting.
Finally I go through the menu and show you what settings I successfully run my R7 at. Northern BC Canada.
Lots of commentary and some videos explain why I do things a certain way, and pitfalls to watch out for.

Some set up hints: If you set your Advanced K to your preference (most like 30 to 50%) then you have a quick change for 3 different levels of K sensitivity. City(18%), Advanced(40% ?), and Highway(100%). Adjusted by holding the Menu button until it changes mode, then you can quickly scroll the 3 modes without entering the menu. K Band is the radar frequency you will get the most false alerts from because of door openers and BSM (blind spot monitors) on many models of newer cars. K Filter On and TSF On and K Block On are filters for K Band that help reduce those falses for a quieter driving experience.

Anyways, watch the videos and post any questions that forum members may answer or post their own videos.
If any good topics come up I can make a video of I will continue to post here.
Please remember this thread is intended to help newer users get familar with the set up and use of their new detector. A quick start guide video library if you will.

@Vortex Also a shout out to all the great start up and how to videos and articles for nearly every model of detector on Vortex Radar website.

I hope some find this useful to them.

Post automatically merged:

I have the sudden urge to go put on some hand cream....
Gator skin :oops:

Last edited:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
lol, great work! Thank you for putting together these videos and sharing them with us. :)

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks. High praise indeed.
If I do more of this I need real equipment and more than zero editing skills. LOL.
I hope this thread becomes a place we can direct new owners to, to get them up and comfortable quickly.

Rocky Road

Traveling Past Slow Pokes One Car At A Time
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Thanks. High praise indeed.
If I do more of this I need real equipment and more than zero editing skills. LOL.
I hope this thread becomes a place we can direct new owners to, to get them up and comfortable quickly.
Great job! I agree, this should be a sticky at least.

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
Great job! I agree, this should be a sticky at least.
I would never presume....
Maybe if that did happen the videos made for instruction of basic functions could be saved into the OP and labelled for quick reference?
A video catalog of instructions:pseudo:
Post automatically merged:

I tried everything camera setting on my phone, dash cams and never could I get a clear picture of the R7 screen to reduce the screen flicker.
Hints from you pros?

Last edited:

beo111

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I just purchased an R7 which arrives today so this is very helpful!

DChiJEllis

Moderator Emeritus and Lifetime RDF Contributor
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Trollstigen, Lyseveien og Atlanterhavsveien

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I tried everything camera setting on my phone, dash cams and never could I get a clear picture of the R7 screen to reduce the screen flicker.
Hints from you pros?
Try shooting a little later in the evening when it’s darker out. Less light means longer shutter speeds and it’ll help correct the flicker issue.

I also picked up a set of ND filters for my GoPros to help fix this issue in the daytime, but I keep forgetting to grab them...

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
Thanks,
I tried more exposure focused on the display and could get a clear picture with overexpose view out the window.
The smart phone kept correcting my mistake and wouldn't let me keep the setting. :rolleyes:
My long arm mount is too wobbly without a support hanging way out there, I will keep thinking on how to improve this.

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
I tried more exposure focused on the display and could get a clear picture with overexpose view out the window.
The smart phone kept correcting my mistake and wouldn't let me keep the setting. :rolleyes:
lol yeah, the auto stuff doesn't always let you do what you want... Some apps let you lock the exposure once you adjust it, but sometimes that's only temporary.

My long arm mount is too wobbly without a support hanging way out there, I will keep thinking on how to improve this.
Yep. My current setup is to run a GoPro on a Blendmount. It's a really short and solid mount so it alleviates the vibration issues.

IMG_6253.jpg

I also sometimes use a suction cup directly on the WS with a short/no arm.

Then it's just a matter of positioning both the RD and the camera so the camera has a good view of the RD and its display without the RD or its suction cup blocking the view of the road directly ahead.

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
lol yeah, the auto stuff doesn't always let you do what you want... Some apps let you lock the exposure once you adjust it, but sometimes that's only temporary.

Yep. My current setup is to run a GoPro on a Blendmount. It's a really short and solid mount so it alleviates the vibration issues.

View attachment 150952

I also sometimes use a suction cup directly on the WS with a short/no arm.

Then it's just a matter of positioning both the RD and the camera so the camera has a good view of the RD and its display without the RD or its suction cup blocking the view of the road directly ahead.
That's why your the pro!
I tried with what I had at a moments notice.
I might have to take a trip to the hardware store for some wire and bubble gum before the next attempt. :roflolmao:

Vortex

Making Videos
Observer
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
That's why your the pro!
I tried with what I had at a moments notice.
I might have to take a trip to the hardware store for some wire and bubble gum before the next attempt. :roflolmao:
haha start with whatever you got! As you get going, then you eventually start to try new things, figure out what you can improve upon, change something here and there, and it all slowly gets better. I've still got a ways to go too. I guess that's how it is with anything. :)

oversteer325

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Would switching to 24fps fix it since it’s less similar to the 60fps the screen is likely refreshing at? Plus it would look extra cinematic! ;)

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
Would switching to 24fps fix it since it’s less similar to the 60fps the screen is likely refreshing at? Plus it would look extra cinematic! ;)
I tried 60fps and 30fps as the only 2 options I seen available to me. 30fps is what I used and had half as many "blinks" per second on videos.
Vortex is correct that exposure makes a difference. I can get a clear screen picture but couldn't keep it.
My cell phone Pixel 4XL has the best camera I have and that's what I used.
The Viofo 119V3 is difficult to mount and catch the view I want.
I could set up my copy cat GoPro (meaning $70 action cam) on a more solid mount and play with that as it's a pretty decent 4K capable camera. Something off the mirror or dash solid mounted.
The action cam I can definetly set and keep exposure where I want it. I think I can too with the Viofo.
Pixel 4 XL auto corrects all my deliberate attempts to make a "bad" picture. :doh:

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
Great videos.
If i ever see a 24fps video from you, you're getting banned.... πŸ˜‚
I'm not a technically proficient video person. I can't even splice 2 together yet.
So I think I can stay in your good graces. ;)
I think I tried 50fps on the Viofo?
Didn't make a difference.

Last edited:

croup

Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great job and thanks for putting it together....That crazy mute button on the side don't slow you down to lockout.....I must be a klutz because I still cannot get used to it.....

DC Fluid

Advanced User
Reaction score
Great job and thanks for putting it together....That crazy mute button on the side don't slow you down to lockout.....I must be a klutz because I still cannot get used to it.....
I prefer it as the best mute button I have used on my motorcycle because I use my left hand pointer finger or middle finger and the shape of the detector and position directly in front of me I just find that big button every time with no fumbles, even in gloves.
Driving in truck I normally have the detector up high under headliner beside mirror. I just reach up under detector and use my large hands to grab detector and push thumb into Mute button.
In the video, right hand over top of detector using thumb, awkward as puck.:thumbsdown:

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dzyner