80 MPH Zones

Piper819

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Currently I am in SD and will be traveling through WY, UT & ID where the speed limit is 80 MPH. I would like to know what the tolerance is with regards to State Troopers pulling you over. I am armed with my R7 and its performing well in SD. Dont have my ALPs as I am not in my personal vehicle. Most folks drive at 80mph or below and I have yet to see anyone blow past me. So is there zero tolerance for speeding over 80? Also have noticed not much Waze usage in the Midwest so its difficult to get warnings for Lidar.

ARkaband

War Eagle
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score

Godowsky17

Advanced User
Reaction score
Tolerances are low in the 80 zones. 82 has been ticketed. However, I have also seen people clocked at 84 and not pulled over. So it obviously varies by trooper and by state. I'd say that if you are caught going over 85 your chances of a ticket are pretty good. My impression is that SD is a little stricter than the other states you listed. It also may be the most likely to use lidar, although you should look out for lidar traps in any of those states as Waze reports will be almost nonexistent. I/O will be your biggest threat.

Good luck! It's beautiful country out there, and though the tolerances in 80 zones are low, you can still get away with speeds as fast or faster than you'd travel in the higher-tolerance but lower-PSL zones back east.

Piper819

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Tolerances are low in the 80 zones. 82 has been ticketed. However, I have also seen people clocked at 84 and not pulled over. So it obviously varies by trooper and by state. I'd say that if you are caught going over 85 your chances of a ticket are pretty good. My impression is that SD is a little stricter than the other states you listed. It also may be the most likely to use lidar, although you should look out for lidar traps in any of those states as Waze reports will be almost nonexistent. I/O will be your biggest threat.

Good luck! It's beautiful country out there, and though the tolerances in 80 zones are low, you can still get away with speeds as fast or faster than you'd travel in the higher-tolerance but lower-PSL zones back east.

Ty for you insight and reply. Its the first time I have seen State Troopers in Pickup Trucks as well.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
In UT it just depends on the amount of traffic around. I try not to be the fastest person on the freeway. Don't be a rabbit. Also watch your rear view mirror. Highway Patrol like to go faster than the fastest person, so that they can sneak up from behind. Interstate 80 sees a lot of narcotics moving East, so especially be careful when heading East through Utah on I-80, or North on I-15 toward SLC where I-15 meets I-80.

camkuhns

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
When I drive through Utah, I stay at the speed limit as I heard years ago, out of staters are ticket magnets.

BeeIII

BeeIII
General User
Reaction score
Idaho, ISP during summer months 86 is their threshold to cite depending on the area of southwest idaho. If they get out of the car for speed expect a citation.

Piper819

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
When I drive through Utah, I stay at the speed limit as I heard years ago, out of staters are ticket magnets.
Ty. Utah is my destination in 2 more days.
Post automatically merged:

Saw several Troopers In SD. All using 34.7 CO so R7 was doing its job. WY I have only seen I Trooper also CO 34.7. Not pushing my luck and setting the cruise at 82 as there are no rabbits and Waze in nonexistent. Traffic is extremely light. Only had a Mini Cooper with CA tags pass me going about 90, tried to keep up with him and use him as a rabbit but didn't want to take any chance so I backed off after about 10 miles or so.

Last edited:

satellite779

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Idaho, ISP during summer months 86 is their threshold to cite depending on the area of southwest idaho. If they get out of the car for speed expect a citation.

Just drove through Idaho and my experience is that they are very strict, especially in 70mph zones on undivided highways (US 20). Got caught at 77 in 70 with instant-on and managed to get away with a written warning only (I was sure I'm getting a ticket as he spent almost 10 minutes in his car with my documents).

I also saw troopers stop people for what appeared to be 70 in 65.
Post automatically merged:

Currently I am in SD and will be traveling through WY, UT & ID where the speed limit is 80 MPH. I would like to know what the tolerance is with regards to State Troopers pulling you over. I am armed with my R7 and its performing well in SD. Dont have my ALPs as I am not in my personal vehicle. Most folks drive at 80mph or below and I have yet to see anyone blow past me. So is there zero tolerance for speeding over 80? Also have noticed not much Waze usage in the Midwest so its difficult to get warnings for Lidar.

In ID, I saw mostly instant-on Ka use, so decided not to speed after getting a warning for 77 in 70.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pebble