TMG Head Distance

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just wondering what the max distance apart a person should go on a larger truck front Grille. In the picture, this is where they were suggested to be mounted and that is 35" apart on the G2's. TMG G2 duals & VPR. I did mount the VPR up higher a few slats as well. The hopefully three heads will be enough.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200602-190316_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200602-190316_Chrome.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The G2 Heads IIRC will cover an area that's an 18" Radius. The 35" on center between the two G2 Heads "should" be ok, but testing is the only true way to know.

@Jag42 please correct my comment if I'm mistaken.

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
35" its gonna be I guess until I get it tested.

SilenceDogoodNinja

SDN
Premium Plus
Intermediate User
Reaction score

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@riseboi ... quick question.... was @Ming comment based on three of the G1/G2 Heads or was it with two of the G1/G2 Heads and one VPR Head. Please verify, as it could make a difference.....

@Jag42 .... Am I correct in thinking that the VPR Head is a Transmit Only Head??????

riseboi

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
@riseboi ... quick question.... was @Ming comment based on three of the G1/G2 Heads or was it with two of the G1/G2 Heads and one VPR Head. Please verify, as it could make a difference.....

@Jag42 .... Am I correct in thinking that the VPR Head is a Transmit Only Head??????

You can click on the "Ming said: ⬆" to read the context of the statement. Maybe/maybe it won't make a difference. It's one of the few statements from the TMG that I've found that answers the question of sensor placement distance. I'd love for them to clarify but until then....

TurboDriver

One foot on the brake, one on the gas...
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
From a few tests I have seen here for TMG the best average distance apart has been around 25 inches. Between 20 and 28 did OK but over 30" and things fell apart. This was for VPR guns, Legacy guns might not be quite so bad.

This was done with a slightly older firmware so performance might be a little better now, but the receive ability that effects performance should not be any different.

Last edited:

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
Best way to decide is to take a tape measure, hold it at the 18in mark to the receive bubble, and make a circle with it. You'll be better able to visualize where you are and aren't protected when it comes to the harder guns. Obviously, there will be exceptions to this rule but it translated beautifully on my car. Everything on the front was covered but the rear, due to placement, could barely cover my rear wheel arches and corners of the tail light. Even with that limitation, the beam spread from the gun is wide enough to be consistent JFG after 300ft.

The Pope

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
VPR is a transmit only head.

With confirmation that the VPR Head is a "Transmit Only" head, I'm going to say that your (@Dodgediesel) placement is on the edge of providing you the coverage that you want. Granted, only testing will verify this., but I "believe" that you "might" be vulnerable to a shot to the upper center.

As suggested already by @Phantom Z3 , determine where the 18" coverage areas for the G!/G2 Heads are for this setup. The areas outside of those covered areas are where your vulnerabilities are. Remember, Center Mass is "normally" where they will aim at first, but if they are not getting a lock, they may shift around to other areas.

Then again... if one of the G1/G2 Heads has already acquired the laser, you'd already be transmitting and jamming with all three heads.

Testing will be your only method to truly verify your setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodgediesel

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Really appreciate that The Pope. Just learning about all this stuff. I'm just waiting on a new CPU so I can hook up the VPR heads and I will get it tested then. Worst case scenario, I will have to add 2 more G2 heads up front, up higher.

Phantom Z3

The new kid on the block...
Advanced User
Reaction score
With confirmation that the VPR Head is a "Transmit Only" head, I'm going to say that your (@Dodgediesel) placement is on the edge of providing you the coverage that you want. Granted, only testing will verify this., but I "believe" that you "might" be vulnerable to a shot to the upper center.

As suggested already by @Phantom Z3 , determine where the 18" coverage areas for the G!/G2 Heads are for this setup. The areas outside of those covered areas are where your vulnerabilities are. Remember, Center Mass is "normally" where they will aim at first, but if they are not getting a lock, they may shift around to other areas.

Then again... if one of the G1/G2 Heads has already acquired the laser, you'd already be transmitting and jamming with all three heads.

Testing will be your only method to truly verify your setup.
VPR stands for variable pulse rate. You can't see a handful of pulses and guess the rest. That only works on standard guns and even standard guns have quirks to avoid being jammed by homegrown/noob jammers if I can say that.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggo