Will Mike Valentine be doing a firmware update anytime soon for the Gen.2?

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
Here in Southern California, K band is rarely used. Currently I have it disabled in my V1G2. If I want to re-enable it and paired with V1 Driver - what MODE should I run (for maximum Ka band but quiet K band).

I know that V1 Driver recommends “little L.” Is that the way to go in my situation or run the V1 in another mode?

Based on what you said : Little L for some K band and quietness.
If K was your priority then A as noisy as it may be.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly, you know L mode limits range. If you’re truly in an area where K is used a lot, A is your best bet. Valentine can’t filter falses that well and from what I’ve read on the gen 2, it’s marginally better at it than the gen 1 units and that’s only probably because people have used L more so than A modes. In my opinion, aside from some BSM filtering improvements, other than range, I couldn’t see a difference for my use of a V1. I explicitly use A mode and if it can’t shut up more than my gen 1, especially with all of its hardware issues now, it wasn’t worth the upgrade just yet. Maybe they’ll improve it.
I will just keep it in "A" MODE from now on.
Swank doesn't have a Gen2... (Am I wrong Swank?) Nearly everything he just said is speculation.

There are tests which show the distances at which A, l, and L will alert. Small-L is just slightly shorter than A while Large-L cuts detection nearly in half. It's unclear how much of that is just because it's not showing the alert.

Feel free to try out A-mode HamSolo, but I doubt you will see much of a difference over small-L.

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here in Southern California, K band is rarely used. Currently I have it disabled in my V1G2. If I want to re-enable it and paired with V1 Driver - what MODE should I run (for maximum Ka band but quiet K band).

I know that V1 Driver recommends “little L.” Is that the way to go in my situation or run the V1 in another mode?
I believe for now that little "L" should be fine.
Post automatically merged:

Swank doesn't have a Gen2... (Am I wrong Swank?) Nearly everything he just said is speculation.

There are tests which show the distances at which A, l, and L will alert. Small-L is just slightly shorter than A while Large-L cuts detection nearly in half. It's unclear how much of that is just because it's not showing the alert.

Feel free to try out A-mode HamSolo, but I doubt you will see much of a difference over small-L.
Thanks, and I will report back to RDF if I observe any significant difference in detection.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score

How is that speculation? The range on the gen 2 is higher than the gen 1, but even Mike said in the interview video that his new preferred setting to use the gen 2 in is L as opposed to the old default which was A. In fact, the new default setting is L and it’s clear that it’s that because it’s the one setting on it where they’ve done additional range or angle filtering to limit K band falses from stores, etc. The problem is, it’s now killed the K band range on it if you use it as that. What I said is that I have no problems with K band detection in terms of range but I also run my gen 1 in A mode and would definitely run the gen 2 in A mode also. That said, it brings me to what I said in that post... given that the majority of K filtering on the gen 2 is accomplished more via L mode (with I’m sure some minor improvement in other modes due to the rewritten K-Verifier filtering vs TMF) it wouldn’t shut mine up enough given that I would choose to run A. I suggested Ham run A mode because it can’t possibly be worse than a gen 1 in A mode, depending on the area you’re in. If he’s in a K false rich environment with low power K police, he’s pretty much screwed with any detector that’s frequency based. The only thing he can do is run A mode with an app locking out static places that give off false K and then hope that everything else he picks up on K is police. Right? I think that’s pretty dead on point if he’s bitching about range in L and poor K filtering in A. Mike might be able to improve things a bit with that new patent he went back and refiled for, but I think even that won’t completely silence the detector enough for some users.

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
No.. K band guns are not being purchased by police agencies because they want to avoid radar detector users .. lol

K band units are a lot cheaper and sometimes someone in the police department has to make a decision to allocate funds towards speed enforcement vs protective equipment and other much needed stuff.

Cops don't generally like K band over KA because KA offers better features.Such as multi target reading, less ghosting, better acquisition of small targets vs big ones.Better fog and rainy weather performance and generally smaller radar antennaes.they also lack features of the more advanced KA band units.

The fact that they are harder to detect really does not go in any cop or budget allocator's head. In their mind radar detectors don't work anyways.

K band units are usually bought by smaller police departments because they lack funds and do not need the advanced features of the KA band units. when they can just set up on a loan road where a car goes by every minute or so filtering , FAST, multi target and all that stuff is not needed. a Bushnell could do the job if they could certify and calibrate those things ! lol
You dismiss a lot of departments that truly do know their market. The goal is "speed enforcement" which nets profits. Yes they really do seek out K band units not only because the prices but also for the advantage they get against the commonly low tier radar detector users. In my area K band has been purposefully switched out the Ka units they were using just a couple years ago. They indeed camp the stationary false stew zones for that reason. You'd be surprised how good some of these units are actually so I'm not sure where your opinion that Ka is better really comes from.

Starting with that and going back on topic, yes I do hope there is a firmware update around the corner. I think there hasn't been much anticipation that they would have needed to push an update this fast so with the combined stalling operations from covid, it hasn't been easily accomplished. I agree that K band range and reactivity need to be addressed though first and foremost. Filtering is decent, but I'm struggling with it against C/O Raptors at the moment.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
How is that speculation?
It doesn't matter what MV prefers for his geographical area or what mode the units are shipped in. One of the pages of the 6-page quick start guide is specifically about the modes; how to change them, and what each does. Many have already tested the modes and found what the results are and those tests can be viewed by all.

While you run your Gen1 in A mode because you feel it's best for you, I ran my Gen1s in (small L) Logic mode for 16 years and then Custom mode for another 4 years. It's a matter of perspective and preference. HamSolo and some of us have had an ongoing discussion about his experiences with the Gen2 since he got it.
Unintentionally, you are entering an existing conversation and adding confusion because you are unaware of what has already been discussed.

Boozehound

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score

@SwankPeRFection , in your lengthy reply to @Bloovy One , I didn't see your response to his salient question "Swank doesn't have a Gen2... (Am I wrong Swank?)

Or did I miss it? Do you have or have you ever had a Gen2?

LouG

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I will just keep it in "A" MODE from now on.
I know your situation is different to mine, But I got 200 metres warning on a Redflex pole mount in A mode, and 300 metres with KV off. Redflex is a real PIA to deal with, very low power and at around 30 - 40 degrees across the lanes. I though that was quite good.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I know your situation is different to mine, But I got 200 metres warning on a Redflex pole mount in A mode, and 300 metres with KV off. Redflex is a real PIA to deal with, very low power and at around 30 - 40 degrees across the lanes. I though that was quite good.
Much different I'd guess. I'm not sure how anyone could run it with K verifier off and not be completely desensitized to K band, even around me where it's fairly rural. I think there are a couple videos of people trying that on the forum somewhere. If you are going to run it without K verifier to get K range, the whole "quiet detector" selling point is moot which makes a different detector look more attractive.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what MV prefers for his geographical area or what mode the units are shipped in. One of the pages of the 6-page quick start guide is specifically about the modes; how to change them, and what each does. Many have already tested the modes and found what the results are and those tests can be viewed by all.

While you run your Gen1 in A mode because you feel it's best for you, I ran my Gen1s in (small L) Logic mode for 16 years and then Custom mode for another 4 years. It's a matter of perspective and preference. HamSolo and some of us have had an ongoing discussion about his experiences with the Gen2 since he got it.
Unintentionally, you are entering an existing conversation and adding confusion because you are unaware of what has already been discussed.
Well and I can tell you flat out on a gen 1, sitting stationary where I get K falses or even not sitting there and coming out of the area and going back in, there is literally no difference between any of the modes on it. Even power cycling after mode change made no difference, at least I have seen no perceptible difference in resolving the falsing. Because of that, I saw no benefit to running anything other than A. If there is any difference, it might be 1 or 2 signal bars, if even that, but that’s not good enough to shut it up, so what’s the point?

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Much different I'd guess. I'm not sure how anyone could run it with K verifier off and not be completely desensitized to K band, even around me where it's fairly rural. I think there are a couple videos of people trying that on the forum somewhere. If you are going to run it without K verifier to get K range, the whole "quiet detector" selling point is moot which makes a different detector look more attractive.
Interestingly enough I was running mine without K verifier and it was for the most part better than my R7 on noise. But range wasn't any better

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I was running mine without K verifier and it was for the most part better than my R7 on noise. But range wasn't any better
Were you running an app?
I have my R7 on 50% which cuts down front BSM falses to the point that only Chrysler products annoy me....LOL. Only other falses I get are from the rear horn. I've got it set up pretty much the way I like. I've been running the G2 a lot more though lately.

It's surprising that range wasn't better with KV off. I bet it mostly affects sensitivity to low power and modulated threats.

ShadowTrooper

First Guard
Security
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Were you running an app?
I have my R7 on 50% which cuts down front BSM falses to only Chrysler products....LOL. Only other falses I get are from the rear horn.

It's surprising that range wasn't better with KV off. I bet it mostly affects sensitivity to low power and modulated threats.
Nope I prefer to take it for what I can get. Apps are great for use case scenarios but mine are too fluid at any given moment to bother keeping up with it. I like raw data when I can get it.

Yeah it seemed to pick up a few more stationary things which attributed to ghosting but for the most part there was no real difference in reactivity or range between on and off against real threat situations.

Deadhead1971

Monmouth June 28, 1778
Advanced User
Reaction score
I wonder what L Advanced Logic with K verifyer OFF does ? I can’t remember if L just cuts sensitivity or also has a filtering algorithm.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Well and I can tell you flat out on a gen 1, sitting stationary where I get K falses or even not sitting there and coming out of the area and going back in, there is literally no difference between any of the modes on it. Even power cycling after mode change made no difference, at least I have seen no perceptible difference in resolving the falsing. Because of that, I saw no benefit to running anything other than A. If there is any difference, it might be 1 or 2 signal bars, if even that, but that’s not good enough to shut it up, so what’s the point?
I believe we are in some ways talking about different forms of K-band noise then. Many BSMs of the day when TMF2 was released are eliminated. Newer BSMs aren't of course.

What firmware version are you on in your Gen1? My Gen1 is at v3.8945 from 2016.

Also, what you've said above makes me wonder; what do you have your mute lever set to? (Rough estimation is fine)

For those following along; I've attached the information from the Gen1 User's Manual relating to the 3 standard modes.
In my experience, there are differences for some alerts and that's why I used Logic mode. But again, I was in Custom mode since 2016 99.99% of the time. That's an entirely different set of changes.

To also remain on topic here;
"Will Mike Valentine be doing a firmware update anytime soon for the Gen.2?"

"Patience, grasshopper" - ?? ;)

I wonder what L Advanced Logic with K verifyer OFF does ? I can’t remember if L just cuts sensitivity or also has a filtering algorithm.
Ideally, Advanced Logic doesn't cut sensitivity at all, but simply "resists" alerting until the signal becomes important at the same transition point that a signal would go from muted to normal in Logic mode. Ideally... :)

Attachments

Last edited:

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I was hit with K Band frequency in All Bogey Mode ("A"), and tbh I did not observe a noticeable difference.

dudeinnz

NZCTG
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
There are tests which show the distances at which A, l, and L will alert. Small-L is just slightly shorter than A while Large-L cuts detection nearly in half.
Are these private tests or published somewhere on RDF? Could you link them here if published please.
Thanks.

Bloovy One

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
Are these private tests or published somewhere on RDF? Could you link them here if published please.
Thanks.
Those are the public tests done here in early to mid March. :) They might be elevated though.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I believe we are in some ways talking about different forms of K-band noise then. Many BSMs of the day when TMF2 was released are eliminated. Newer BSMs aren't of course.

What firmware version are you on in your Gen1? My Gen1 is at v3.8945 from 2016.

Also, what you've said above makes me wonder; what do you have your mute lever set to? (Rough estimation is fine)
Hardware is latest, firmware one behind latest (basically the one where the default out of box for Junk isn’t On and I have to flip it On). Mute lever is at 10 o’clock and volume goes from 2 to 3 or 4 o’clock depending on “at the moment“ needs. It’s not a muting issue, it’s just a detection issue. K anything is always there and alerts, doesn’t matter if it’s 1 bar or 3 bars... it’s mostly door opener issues, sometimes we use BSM incorrectly. GMCs, some Honda’s, Mazda’s, Acura’s will have BSM hits, but mostly door openers, depending on area. It’s not that big a deal, I know where everything that alerts is and how it alerts pattern wise, so I don’t miss a legit K band, but I really thought the gen 2 was going to have better filtering and from what I’m reading, it addresses maybe 10–15% of it in A mode and that’s simply not enough for me. Hopefully K is just buggy at the moment and a firmware update can address things on the gen 2, but who knows.

The other thing is, I also tend to drive much closer than most and hearing some of the short distance punch through stories even on filtered new ones makes me think I’ll still cross within that threshold and it’ll still alert.

Has anyone actually done concrete testing between the 18 and 19 firmware to see if any is different on band range or filtration?

kmac

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
@SwankPeRFection , in your lengthy reply to @Bloovy One , I didn't see your response to his salient question "Swank doesn't have a Gen2... (Am I wrong Swank?)

Or did I miss it? Do you have or have you ever had a Gen2?
I'll answer that
No he doesn't.
I asked the same question in another post and finally got a response from him

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beemerchef