Will Mike Valentine be doing a firmware update anytime soon for the Gen.2?

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
If so they seriously need to address K-Band detection range, as it really is subpar and is pissing me off tbh. Otherwise I love this detector, just wish the nearby police agencies would stop using this frequency and transition to KA. Why are police agencies still using K Band frequency, when they have new patrol vehicles, does anyone have any idea as to why they're still relying on K ?

thefrog1394

Cruise Control PSL+9
Intermediate User
Reaction score
If so they seriously need to address K-Band detection range, as it really is subpar and is pissing me off tbh. Otherwise I love this detector, just wish the nearby police agencies would stop using this frequency and transition to KA. Why are police agencies still using K Band frequency, when they have new patrol vehicles, does anyone have any idea as to why they're still relying on K ?
The fact that it's harder to detect and differentiate from falses probably doesn't hurt... I believe this is the reason for the new low power K band guns existing, is it not? Don't forget, the police don't want you to detect their guns lol

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
The fact that it's harder to detect and differentiate from falses probably doesn't hurt... I believe this is the reason for the new low power K band guns existing, is it not? Don't forget, the police don't want you to detect their guns lol
It is very sneaky and K-Band low power guns should be outlawed.

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Just run it in A mode already.

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Why do you feel it's subpar? In comparison to other RD's? V1G2 seemed to fair well vs R7 (40% K) in @Brainstorm69 's recent test.
Before operating the gen. 2 I used to own a Radenso Pro-M and it was actually very decent in terms of detecting K Band frequency from an earlier time and giving me enough time to slow down.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
I suspect that you are dealing with more difficult K guns in your area Ham. Tallyho has described some of the behaviors he's seen there as well.

Overall, I don't run into those issues in all of my travels. I encounter K-band guns at least as often as Ka guns and a good portion of those are in the 24.200+/- range.
(To add data to the above statement, I have had 31,002 alerts comprised of 333,104 individual hits in the last two plus years.)

There is already a slightly newer firmware in the form of v4.1019. We haven't figured out the details of that release yet.

I never run in A mode FWIW. I like Logic mode most with a faint muted volume level.

Last edited:

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
I suspect that you are dealing with more difficult K guns in your area Ham. Tallyho has described some of the behaviors he's seen there as well.

Overall, I don't run into those issues in all of my travels. I encounter K-band guns at least as often as Ka guns and a good portion of those are in the 24.200+/- range.

There is already a slightly newer firmware in the form of v4.1019. We haven't figured out the details of that release yet.

I never run in A mode FWIW. I like Logic mode most with a faint muted volume level.
Me and Tallyho conducted K band testing with his low powered k-band gun and tbh it didn't do so well. Let's hope the newer firmware addresses that issue. He is right, that in our area they use very difficult to detect K gun's which is not fair tbh. I can't wait to see how the Theia will address low powered k-band.

SilenceDogoodNinja

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
On Saturday I was able to pick up low k band Redflex trucks in little 'l' in the kill zone the same as my R7 was doing. It doesn't seem much different than the current firmware of 129 on the Uniden to me right now. Kind of excited what it can do when they do have a firmware update!

BIGGER Dave

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Before operating the gen. 2 I used to own a Radenso Pro-M and it was actually very decent in terms of detecting K Band frequency from an earlier time and giving me enough time to slow down.
Has it been less than 30 days since ordering the V1? If so, maybe return it and go back to using the Pro-M? V1G2 works for me, but I understand it may not be best for everyone.

Bloovy One

130,000+ miles with JBV1!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
He's way past 30 days. He's also on v4.1018 like I am. (if that has any bearing at all on this issue)

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Has it been less than 30 days since ordering the V1? If so, maybe return it and go back to using the Pro-M? V1G2 works for me, but I understand it may not be best for everyone.
I am way past the 30 days as I was among the early adopters of the v1 when it released in March. I also unfortunately sold my pro-m :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwankPeRFection

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Honestly, you know L mode limits range. If you’re truly in an area where K is used a lot, A is your best bet. Valentine can’t filter falses that well and from what I’ve read on the gen 2, it’s marginally better at it than the gen 1 units and that’s only probably because people have used L more so than A modes. In my opinion, aside from some BSM filtering improvements, other than range, I couldn’t see a difference for my use of a V1. I explicitly use A mode and if it can’t shut up more than my gen 1, especially with all of its hardware issues now, it wasn’t worth the upgrade just yet. Maybe they’ll improve it.

OBeerWANKenobi

This is not the car you're looking for......
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
It's VR so we have no idea when there will be an update. I know they are working on it and I could bug them about it to see if they need anything else from us but TBH I don't think it would help anything. Mike V has to give the go-ahead on any release of information and historically, that's been as little as possible concerning ongoing development unfortunately.

DocTJ

Advanced User
Reaction score
It's VR so we have no idea when there will be an update. I know they are working on it and I could bug them about it to see if they need anything else from us but TBH I don't think it would help anything. Mike V has to give the go-ahead on any release of information and historically, that's been as little as possible concerning ongoing development unfortunately.
Exactly.
And to make matters worse it’s not like they’ll tell us that there’s new firmware. More than likely someone Will send in their unit for repair and then we will notice a new version upon return .

Would be nice if they reach out to early adopters for a voluntary firmware update.
I know they’re supposed to be over the air and supposedly we’ve done away with sending the RD in for an update but we haven’t seen anything that is even remotely showing any first steps toward that. Also I’d have hoped they’d allowed those on the .18 firmware to go to .19 Via at home updates.

Maybe they’ll read this and change their mind Or get that part working at least. Who knows?

HamSolo

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Honestly, you know L mode limits range. If you’re truly in an area where K is used a lot, A is your best bet. Valentine can’t filter falses that well and from what I’ve read on the gen 2, it’s marginally better at it than the gen 1 units and that’s only probably because people have used L more so than A modes. In my opinion, aside from some BSM filtering improvements, other than range, I couldn’t see a difference for my use of a V1. I explicitly use A mode and if it can’t shut up more than my gen 1, especially with all of its hardware issues now, it wasn’t worth the upgrade just yet. Maybe they’ll improve it.
I will just keep it in "A" MODE from now on.

westwind77

Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Reaction score
They have yet to release an update app for the G2, and the last it was mentioned it did not seem like they were very close to having one developed either.

We know the G2 and now the R360c have both been in development for a while - you have to wonder how much they rushed both of these units out the door to get ahead of Radenso's future offering.

It does not seem like either one of these units firmware was ready for prime time.

venom690

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
No.. K band guns are not being purchased by police agencies because they want to avoid radar detector users .. lol

K band units are a lot cheaper and sometimes someone in the police department has to make a decision to allocate funds towards speed enforcement vs protective equipment and other much needed stuff.

Cops don't generally like K band over KA because KA offers better features.Such as multi target reading, less ghosting, better acquisition of small targets vs big ones.Better fog and rainy weather performance and generally smaller radar antennaes.they also lack features of the more advanced KA band units.

The fact that they are harder to detect really does not go in any cop or budget allocator's head. In their mind radar detectors don't work anyways.

K band units are usually bought by smaller police departments because they lack funds and do not need the advanced features of the KA band units. when they can just set up on a loan road where a car goes by every minute or so filtering , FAST, multi target and all that stuff is not needed. a Bushnell could do the job if they could certify and calibrate those things ! lol

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Here in Southern California, K band is rarely used. Currently I have it disabled in my V1G2. If I want to re-enable it and paired with V1 Driver - what MODE should I run (for maximum Ka band but quiet K band).

I know that V1 Driver recommends “little L.” Is that the way to go in my situation or run the V1 in another mode?

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wrswartz