JBV1 Setup Help

untamedinc

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I believe Vortex said himself in a more recent video that if he had to choose any RD at the moment he would go with the V1G2 (paired with JBV1). Correct me if I'm wrong Vortex.

JBV1 is pretty awesome. I purchased a $200 Android phone just for the sole purpose of running JBV1 and having a dedicated display for Waze Navigation. The learning curve is somewhat steep but once you set it up to your liking and get the hang of it (watch JBV1 videos and tutorials on YouTube) it's really hard finding a better RD on the market today, tomorrow and heck even when Theia is released.
I have had a hard time finding any JBV1 tutorial or setup videos on YouTube or the JBV1 website. Just short 2 min demo videos, but nothing that walks you through setup or settings. Can you point me to any? I know the JBV1 site is working on a setup guide and @Vortex has it on his list, but he will be pretty busy testing with the 360c release (also very excited for). Any setup, tutorial videos or setup guides would be great if you could share. Thanks.

L4D44

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Liberal California - Home of the Snowflakes
Yeah the ones on YT are quick tutorials, not really set-up instructions. Check out the JBV1 sub-forum on rdf. Great place to learn and ask questions. Also the Waze integration feature in JBV1 is super cool. Changes the way you use and see Waze (when paired w/ V1).

InsipidMonkey

Essential Monkey
Security
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved this question to the JBV1 forum so as not to derail the Redline360c discussion.

@E2S2R Created a great site here with tons of info:

Vortex has a JBV1 Setup Guide here:

And there are tons of video demos in this subforum and on @johnboy00's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCacM3_meLgmBcUta1yadYug/videos

If you have any specific questions, this is the place to ask!

E2S2R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I have had a hard time finding any JBV1 tutorial or setup videos on YouTube or the JBV1 website. Just short 2 min demo videos, but nothing that walks you through setup or settings. Can you point me to any? I know the JBV1 site is working on a setup guide and @Vortex has it on his list, but he will be pretty busy testing with the 360c release (also very excited for). Any setup, tutorial videos or setup guides would be great if you could share. Thanks.
If you want a turn on the popular features you can use the quickstart

I'm working on a comprehensive guide, but it has been taking long than expected due to some stuff I had to take care of.

It will go through every single setting and walk through how the settings change things. I estimate it will be close to 4 hours long.

I'm hoping I can get it done in the next couple weeks.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Hi, I’m trying to use the QuickStart, but things aren’t working for me.

After I open JBV1, I get a message saying something like the backup directory was NOT created.

When I open Winzip, click on SDCard, there’s nothing in the download folder so it won’t let me select it. I’m guessing there’s nothing there because the backup directory wasn’t created.

I’ve deleted the apps, restarted, downloaded again but have the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnboy00

Geaux Tigers!
Advanced User
Lifetime Premium Member
Software Developer
Reaction score
Hi, I’m trying to use the QuickStart, but things aren’t working for me.

After I open JBV1, I get a message saying something like the backup directory was NOT created.
You must give the app permissions to write to your device storage. If you did so after seeing that message, you shouldn't see it again.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
You must give the app permissions to write to your device storage. If you did so after seeing that message, you shouldn't see it again.
Thanks JB.

As soon as I open the app, and before I even have the opportunity to accept app permissions, I get the message.

After I got that message, I accepted all app permissions, then downloaded Winzip, and that’s when I’m not seeing anything in the download folder. I’m not sure what I could be doing wrong.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Ok, so I took a video of the issue I’m having after following the directions in the QuickStart video (link above).

Hoping someone can help me with this.

E2S2R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
First thing to do is go to https://jbv1.app/quickstart on your phone and click on the download link. Make sure that gets saved to Download.

Using Chrome it downloaded it fine. We need to resolve that first.

Once the archive is in Download then you can proceed with the process in the video.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
First thing to do is go to https://jbv1.app/quickstart on your phone and click on the download link. Make sure that gets saved to Download.

Using Chrome it downloaded it fine. We need to resolve that first.

Once the archive is in Download then you can proceed with the process in the video.
Thank you so much. I don’t remember that step being mentioned in the video (maybe it was), and I completely overlooked the download hyperlink.

I’ve downloaded the file and now see it in the Download folder. I should be good to go from here.

Thanks again!

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't mention it in the video. Sorry that it was unclear.

I'll redo the video sometime and mention it.
No problem. I appreciate you putting together the video.

There’s one setting that I really wanted to use, but I’m not able to find it and I don’t know it’s name. My understanding is that when a frequency is locked out, there’s a way to prevent the detector from showing anything. I really don’t want the arrows going crazy even if the sound is muted. Do you happen to know where that setting is? Sorry to ask here. I didn’t think I should create a whole new thread for one question.

R4D4RUS3R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I missed the step too. I am not an Android user so I had to stop/start the video several times but it was clear enough for me to follow and get it loaded. I plan to play with it a little here and there but its made more difficult since its just for this purpose. Its not connected to the car and it has no service outside of the hotspot I have in the car when running it. Bottom line, video worked and I too would like more videos covering setup and use so I can get comfortable faster. Just using Android make me feel like I’m struggling considering I have been using iPhone since launch day way back when. Ha.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I missed the step too. I am not an Android user so I had to stop/start the video several times but it was clear enough for me to follow and get it loaded. I plan to play with it a little here and there but its made more difficult since its just for this purpose. Its not connected to the car and it has no service outside of the hotspot I have in the car when running it. Bottom line, video worked and I too would like more videos covering setup and use so I can get comfortable faster. Just using Android make me feel like I’m struggling considering I have been using iPhone since launch day way back when. Ha.
I’m right there with ya on the Android learning curve. I’ve also only owned iPhones, so every task on an Android is more difficult right now!

E2S2R

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
There’s one setting that I really wanted to use, but I’m not able to find it and I don’t know it’s name. My understanding is that when a frequency is locked out, there’s a way to prevent the detector from showing anything. I really don’t want the arrows going crazy even if the sound is muted. Do you happen to know where that setting is? Sorry to ask here. I didn’t think I should create a whole new thread for one question.
Settings > Display > (all the way at the bottom) V1 Display

Change it to AUTO

"V1's display is automatically turned ON for non-muted alerts and turned OFF otherwise."

Bottom line, video worked and I too would like more videos covering setup and use so I can get comfortable faster.
Yeah I know, I'm way behind on the guide. A lot has been happening that has delayed me finishing it.

clphillips72

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
Settings > Display > (all the way at the bottom) V1 Display

Change it to AUTO

"V1's display is automatically turned ON for non-muted alerts and turned OFF otherwise."

Yeah I know, I'm way behind on the guide. A lot has been happening that has delayed me finishing it.
Thanks.

So that basically means I’m running in dark mode, unless a non muted frequency is detected, correct?

True2020Vision

Learning to Fly
Beginner User
Reaction score
Yes, the V2 unit is in dark mode unless it sees a threat that you've specified as something to wake up to. But if you wish, that can also be adaptive to the ambient light level, so the V2 unit stays dark when alerting at night.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jreihsen