Northern UT K Band

K2727

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Has anyone had a legitimate hit on K band north of Lehi in Utah in the last couple years? I almost never go south of there and am tempted just to turn K band off unless I go that way.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Cache County Sheriff has some K Band units. Brigham City has one at least. Mantua has one unit with K Band. Utah County Sheriff has a few K Band units too.

What detector do you have?

@RRJ @BagNDrag @fireparamed @Stealthbull - Any other valid K Band encounters you know of?

Last edited:

K2727

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
I have an R7, I've yet to see anything legit with it, other than speed signs on K. Super chatty. I've turned the sensitivity down to 70%, TSF on, The K notch filter, etc. Doesn't seem to help much. I get tons of BSM falses, especially from Chrysler/Jeep stuff, door openers, etc. Normal commute is from Ogden to SLC. Sounds like I should leave it on though, as I go north all the time.

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Last August I drove down from BC - WA - to Coeur d'Alene area, Silverwood park, back up into Alberta.
A couple K band LEOs
Lots of Ka too.
Didn't see and Lidar traps but doesn't mean there weren't.
I seen everything on that trip

Last edited:

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
So I run pretty agressive K Band filtering settings on my R7. If you want, replicate my settings and drive with it to see what your thoughts are. It has still given me decent heads up before passing a K Band equipped Sheriff in Utah County as well as a K Band equipped SUV in Mantua while driving through Sardine / Wellsville Canyon.

Mode: City
X Band: off
K Band: On
Ka Band: On
K Filter: On
K Block: On
K POP: off
K Mode: K Wide
Ka Filter: On
Ka POP: On
MRCD: off
TSF: On
Priority: Ka Priority
Quiet Ride: 20mph
Rear Balance: 80%

DC Fluid

RDF Addicts Anonymous Member
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I might add Ka 2,4,5,6,8.
I run K narrow 90% of the time unless in Calgary or Redflex areas.
On my trip BC-WA-UT-AB-BC, I seen Ka LEOs on every sement of 2, 4, 5, 6, 8. :oops:
K Everywhere but AB but they have it too.

BagNDrag

Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Advanced User
Reaction score
Cache County Sheriff has some K Band units. Brigham City has one at least. Mantua has one unit with K Band. Utah County Sheriff has a few K Band units too.

@RRJ @BagNDrag @fireparamed @Stealthbull - Any other valid K Band encounters you know of?
I have seen K Band around Utah, but it is rare. Not rare enough for me to turn of K. I second DC's suggestion of running 2 4 5 6 8 segments too. I have seen radar on the highway on multiple times that are out of tune, that 2, 5, 8 would miss.

K2727

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I'll try duplicating the settings in this thread and see how it goes. I haven't been up through Sardine or Cache County since I got the detector, but just knowing they use K band up there makes it worth keeping it on.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
Agreed. I'd rather run it dialed back significantly, than shut it off completely.

fireparamed

PSL +5
Intermediate User
Reaction score
The only recent legit K-Back I’ve had was multiple Duchesne Country Sheriff and Roosevelt PD.

Along the I-15 corridor, in 5 years I had 1 hit by a Davis County Sheriff... newer vehicle with an older radar unit apparently.... only came across it once. I’ve never seen a UHP Trooper with anything other than Ka-band or Lidar.... there is Lidar used in Davis and Weber county by the regular patrol troopers from time to time.... almost always in the ambush format with 1 Trooper spotting and multiple other chase vehicles.

There are also about 20 Troopers that make up the Motors team and when the weather is good they ride their BMW’s and use Lidar out by themselves.... they are really hard to spot until it’s too late, but seem to like the center medians especially up by Willard Bay.
They are generally in Utah and Salt Lake county the most, occasionally working up to Davis and Weber.

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score

There is a North Ogden LEO that lives near me (out of his jurisdiction) with a K band unit on the dash. As mentioned I’ve seen Cache County, Brigham City, and Mantua with K band as well. In Cache I’ve been hit with a K Band i/o hand held in addition to a constant on dash unit. That being said, these hits are rare but still enough to nail you on that rare occasion.

I’ve seen video of a K hit near Lehi that would have not been picked up by K narrow, but I’ve experienced nothing north of there that wouldn’t be solidly in the K narrow frequency. After running K wide for a while, I finally just turned it off. If I’m in Cache with traffic on a 4 lane highway, I run my R3 on advanced with K at 60%. If I’m on a two lane or if traffic on a 4 lane is scarce, I run highway.

As the others have stated, I’ve seen Ka frequencies outside of 2/5/8 in northern Utah so I run Ka wide.

sdrawkcaB

Defender of Light 📶
ModSec
VIP
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Corgi Lovers
Advanced User
Reaction score
I’ve seen video of a K hit near Lehi that would have not been picked up by K narrow, but I’ve experienced nothing north of there that wouldn’t be solidly in the K narrow frequency.

Yes, there is at least one Utah County Sheriff I can confirm that would be outside of the R7/R3/R1's K Narrow, and would need to be using K Wide to detect.

firstsage

Learning to Fly
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Beginner User
Reaction score
Its a bit south but I didn't think opening a new thread would be helpful. Payson PD has K on at least one car that I have seen. Will be picked up by R7 narrow.

JustinP

PSL +PSL
Advanced User
Reaction score
There's also K band in Box Elder county. Got tagged heading to Snowville on UT-30.

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score
There's also K band in Box Elder county. Got tagged heading to Snowville on UT-30.

Do you know the agency? 35.5 is the only frequency I’ve seen from the black Box Elder County trucks, and I’ve never seen it K band on UHP vehicles in Box Elder County. K band from either of those would be new to me.
Post automatically merged:

I have an R7, I've yet to see anything legit with it, other than speed signs on K. Super chatty. I've turned the sensitivity down to 70%, TSF on, The K notch filter, etc. Doesn't seem to help much. I get tons of BSM falses, especially from Chrysler/Jeep stuff, door openers, etc. Normal commute is from Ogden to SLC. Sounds like I should leave it on though, as I go north all the time.
I tone my R3 way down between Ogden and Salt Lake. I’m usually at 60% or City. Going north, especially in Cache, I’m at 60% with a good traffic flow and highway if traffic is light.

One night in Cache, I got hit with a stationary K band hand held where the only defense was traveling near the PSL. Fortunately, I was executing said defense at the time. With no cars ahead of me, I don’t think any detector would have alerted me before my turn, but it would have really sucked if I could have been alerted at 100% when I was running something less. Thus, I turn it way up in Cache when there are no doors or BSMs.

Last edited:

JustinP

PSL +PSL
Advanced User
Reaction score
Do you know the agency? 35.5 is the only frequency I’ve seen from the black Box Elder County trucks, and I’ve never seen it K band on UHP vehicles in Box Elder County. K band from either of those would be new to me.

It was a Sheriff pickup if I recall, but 5 or 6 years back. It's possible it's no longer in use.

K2727

Learning to Drive
General User
Reaction score
Post automatically merged:

I tone my R3 way down between Ogden and Salt Lake. I’m usually at 60% or City. Going north, especially in Cache, I’m at 60% with a good traffic flow and highway if traffic is light.

One night in Cache, I got hit with a stationary K band hand held where the only defense was traveling near the PSL. Fortunately, I was executing said defense at the time. With no cars ahead of me, I don’t think any detector would have alerted me before my turn, but it would have really sucked if I could have been alerted at 100% when I was running something less. Thus, I turn it way up in Cache when there are no doors or BSMs.
Good to know. I haven't seen a legit K band alert yet, but I havent been north of Ogden, or south of Provo since I got back in the detector game. I did get a really impressive off axis Ka alert yesterday that made me feel good about some of the false alerts I get.

Reactions: RRJ

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score
Good to know. I haven't seen a legit K band alert yet, but I havent been north of Ogden, or south of Provo since I got back in the detector game. I did get a really impressive off axis Ka alert yesterday that made me feel good about some of the false alerts I get.
I’ve recently returned a as well. It’s good to be back.

RRJ

Running with R3
Beginner User
Reaction score
Two additional K band hits in the last three weeks. Logan City was running c/o in an older Charger and North Park Police was running c/o from an SUV. One was on 89-91 south of Logan and the other was on 91 just north of Logan. Between these agencies and Cache County Sheriffs, I’d for sure leave K band detection on anytime you’re in Cache County.

jorgey

PSL +5
Premium Plus
Lifetime Premium
Intermediate User
Reaction score
I also experienced legit K band a few weeks ago in cache county, north of Logan up close to Richmond and south of Logan going through Sardine. There is also a ton of K band in Tooele county, some sheriffs as well as local LEO's on I-80 and on the smaller highways/roads.

Discord Server

Latest threads

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Extract0r